Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MODERATORS - WAS H.A. HACKED???

I am not sure if this has been addressed but I believe the forum has a virus or was hacked...What is up with the Osama Terrorist picture?

Has this been addressed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_1_113.png 
Views:	509 
Size:	400.4 KB 
ID:	247105  

Quote Originally Posted by jcinva
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009AD
    ps: HA is not the place to look for love, I'm sure you know that, just wanted to remind you.
    WHAT?! You mean you're all just wasting my time?!!

Junior Poster

Is the lady technical a bit? Hum. I think not. :P
    Hotlinking is stealing bandwith, like piggy backing...taking an image (linking it) from a site where it is hosted, to, say, post it on another. It is considered illegal. I think this is just a funny image to compare it to terrorism. No hacking here. If I remember well, there was a 'cartel' against hotlinking that created this image.

Purgamentum verbatim ad nauseum...

Quote Originally Posted by Distance

Is the lady technical a bit? Hum. I think not. :P
    Hotlinking is stealing bandwith, like piggy backing...taking an image (linking it) from a site where it is hosted, to, say, post it on another. It is considered illegal. I think this is just a funny image to compare it to terrorism. No hacking here. If I remember well, there was a 'cartel' against hotlinking that created this image.
    Its considered unethical, not illegal.

Suppose I had a blog about "odd ebay auctions," and I went to an ebay listing, right-clicked the picture in a listing- copied the file location (http://www.thiscrappysite.mil/picture.jpg) and embedded it on my blog.

Technically the picture is still being hosted by thiscrappysite.mil, not my blog- so they're the ones paying for the bandwidth everytime one of my readers views my page.

Legally, this would be fair-use believe it or not. It wouldn't be illegal unless I was using the picture for fraudulent purposes (like if I were selling an item on eBay and were using another eBay user's picture for my listing).

The argument is, if people don't want their pictures hot-linked, they have to take their own steps to prevent it by basically running a setting on their server that says "whenever a file is being hotlinked, instead of showing the real picture- show file http://www.thiscrappysite.mil/youasshat.jpg instead.

Then, whenever someone tries to hot link off my server, it would show youasshat.jpg which could be literally whatever I wanted.

So, long story short- HA's server THINKS whatever picture you're trying to view is being embedded on another server.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG
    Says you.

Ever heard of intellectual property theft -which is often linked (no pun intended) to hotlinking? You can face criminal prosecution for bandwith theft easily, too. Both are quick to prove.

Says you.

Ever heard of intellectual property theft -which is often linked (no pun intended) to hotlinking? You can face criminal prosecution for bandwith theft easily, too. Both are quick to prove.
    Hes right 100 percent Sarah... http://www.boogiejack.com/copyband.html

Living your dream! Just call me your superhero! JIX
    1/3 of the Legendary Trifecta called O ED & the Jizzzyyy...
    PeekyMcWatchmeFUCK!
    OEJTM-#DEGENERATES
    HBSF-FETC

Says you.

Depends on the type of use.

Doesn't matter if the content is copyrighted, there are fair use exceptions.

Junior Poster

Says you.

The only fair use exception is if you ask the webmaster -if you have permission. Typically, on a forum, that's 99% of the users not asking. the 1% would me the moderators/webmasters.

It's ok to be wrong sometimes, you know? Cheers.

Says you.

The only fair use exception is if you ask the webmaster -if you have permission. Typically, on a forum, that's 99% of the users not asking. the 1% would me the moderators/webmasters.

It's ok to be wrong sometimes, you know? Cheers.
    I have no problem admitting I am wrong, when I actually believe I am wrong.

The idea that the ONLY fair use is by asking for permission is RIAA propaganda, it is a legal fiction.

Like it or not there are fair use exceptions for all copyrighted content including commercial content.

Junior Poster

Yeah...I can see you don't mind admitting when you are wrong...but then, you are never wrong, right?

The jargon you are using is here to blur the issue that you don't really know what you are talking about, really -it was an euphemism actually...it's ok, don't blush- it might fool people less inclined to be in the know, but it just won't cut with me, as I read right through it.

Maybe some don't, so those you would fool maybe. Anyways, we haven't been introduced: I am European marketing director (web and offline). I enjoyed the conversation, especially as it ends now. Nighty night.

Yeah...I can see you don't mind admitting when you are wrong...but then, you are never wrong, right?
    Nonsense, to err is human, I've admitted being wrong on this forum multiple times before.

The jargon you are using is here to blur the issue that you don't really know what you are talking about, really -it was an euphemism actually...it's ok, don't blush- it might fool people less inclined to be in the know, but it just won't cut with me, as I read right through it.
    Its not jargon, at least under American law (I realize copyright law varies greatly country to country).

To use an example from our law, a teacher at a school could go onto a news website- take a current events story, print out 30 copies and hand one out to each student in her class in discussing the news. Under American law, she need not pay for this, nor need she ask for permission from the news site because it falls under the "educational" fair use clause.

Context means everything.

Anyways, we haven't been introduced: I am European marketing director (web and offline). I enjoyed the conversation, especially as it ends now. Nighty night.
    Sorry if I offended you, I haven't used any insults here because I really don't see a reason for it. We're all adults, I would assume we're capable of talking about copyright law.