Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Now that just isn't true, Quinn, and I'm sure you know that. Boston leads New York in a number of areas...for instance, Boston Metro is currently the most expensive Metro area in the US (NYC is only third). Boston also gets more snow, longer winters, high average wind speed....

Seriously, NYC lags far behind Boston in top colleges and universities (but then so does everyone else), even if you don't include Cambridge with Boston. (Remember, Boston is only 39 sq mi and NYC is 301 sq mi; what constitute burroughs in NYC are individual cities here). Likewise, Boston leads in the percentage of college-age residents, biotech research, computer R&D and high tech (usually positioned second behind Silicon Valley), and many other areas. Boston also rivals NYC in areas in which both cities outstrip all other comers, such as size of university and public libraries, museums, sports, classical symphony orchestra, etc.

all I have to say about red socks is that they are tough to accessorize around

FK

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic
    Now that just isn't true, Quinn, and I'm sure you know that. Boston leads New York in a number of areas...for instance, Boston Metro is currently the most expensive Metro area in the US (NYC is only third). Boston also gets more snow, longer winters, high average wind speed....

Seriously, NYC lags far behind Boston in top colleges and universities (but then so does everyone else), even if you don't include Cambridge with Boston. (Remember, Boston is only 39 sq mi and NYC is 301 sq mi; what constitute burroughs in NYC are individual cities here). Likewise, Boston leads in the percentage of college-age residents, biotech research, computer R&D and high tech (usually positioned second behind Silicon Valley), and many other areas. Boston also rivals NYC in areas in which both cities outstrip all other comers, such as size of university and public libraries, museums, sports, classical symphony orchestra, etc.
    Ecstatic,

I had a feeling I would be hearing from you on this topic You forgot to mention a few important points concerning Boston:

1. Boston also has a much higher per-capita crime rate than NYC (crime
    index total 2002: 5,986.5 for Boston vs. 3,100.1 for NYC ).

2. Boston has a higher cost of living (a very recent development that
    poses such an issue in Massachusetts as a whole that it was the only
    state to loose population last year, which in turn presents long-term
    workforce and real estate valuation issues).

I have to concede that Boston bitches NYC as an academic center and college town, but in every other important category, NYC is vastly superior:

1. NYC is the financial capital of the United States;
    2. NYC is both the wholesale and retail center of the United States;
    3. NYC is the cultural center of the United States (LA may not agree);
    4. NYC is one of the world’s most important international political centers;
    5. NYC has roughly double the number of tourists each year as Boston
    (30 million vs. 14 million);
    6. NYC dwarfs Boston in physical size (303.3 square miles vs. 48.4
    square miles) and population (8,104,079 vs. 569,165 in 2004)
    7. We don’t even need to go into the sports comparison.
    8. We do not have Thomas M. Menino as our mayor (aka the only
    politician who mangles the English language worse than President
    Bush).

Seriously though, I do totally enjoy Boston and vacation there whenever I get a chance, usually combining too much alcohol and clam chowder until I get sick.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MegabodyNYC
    PAY ROLL IS AN EXCUSE , LOOK AT THE MEDIA MARKET WE ARE IN....YOU CUNT BAGS CRY BUT THE RED SOX ARE SECOND TO THE YANKEES IN PAY ROLL.....PLEASE.......PAY ROLL JUST MEANS OVER PRICED DOESNT MEAN A GUYS GONNA HIT OR PITCH , IT MEANS HIS CUNT WIFE AND SPOILED KIDS GET EVERYTHING THEY WANT.........HEY GEORGEW STEINBRENNER IS THE FIRST ONE TO HELP PEOPLE.....I CANT TELL YA HOW MANY PEOPLES MEDICAL BILLS HE HAS PAID , KIDS AND PEOPLE OF THE STREET THAT HE HAS NEVER EVEN MET.....THE WORLD TRADE DRAMA ( 911) UNFOLDED HE OPENED HIS WALLET....THE NEW ORLEANS DRAMA HAPPENED WITH IN 24 HOURS HE DONTED A MILLION DOLLARS CASH.....UN LIKE ALL THESE OTHER BIG CELEBERTIES WHO HAD CONCERTS YADDA YADDA WHEN THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST CAUGHED IT UP........STEINBRENNER WAS THE FIRST ONE TO DONATE , BEFORE THAT SHIT WAS ALL OVER TV AD EVERYONE WAS ON THE BAND WAGON.......SUCK MY DICK ABOUT MONEY..........YANKEES HAVE TRADITION AND PRIDE...

NOW.....I WILL SAY THIS.....I HATE THE REDSOX BUT I RESPECT THEM MORE THEN ANY OTHER TEAM IN BASEBALL....I FEAR THEM AS WELL......THE YANKEE / REDSOX RIVALRY IS THE BEST THING FOR BASEBALL.......BOTH THESE TEAMS ARE DRAWS AND WHEN THEY PLAY EACHOTHER ITS MONEY IN THE BANK.....NO OTHER TEAMS COME CLOSE.......I HATE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE GOOD, THEY HATE THE YANKEES FOR THE SAME REASON......YANKEES / RED SOX ARE THE BIGGEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS HISTORY BECAUSE THEY ARE ALWAYS THE 2 TOP TEAMS............ILL GIVE THE RED SOX THAT.....
    Thanks Mega, see you next year, God knows what our teams will look like. Good luck with the Angel's but the White Sox's are playing like we did last year. They can taste it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Boston always tries to compete with New York City; it can't be done. Don't get me wrong, Boston is a great city, but it just can't compare itself with NYC in any category – save for, perhaps, its number of drunken Irishmen

-Quinn
    And now for you Mr. Quinn, I'm one of those drunken Irishmen, and I love your city's irish bars. I usually find one as a home base when I visit your fine city. And I and the employees get along just fine! I've taught many of them the finer aspects of hockey (most were here on a green card). But don't talk about competing with New York in "The Sports Lounge". Okay, the Yankees have it over the Red Sox over their long history. But think of the history of the Celtic's, when you think of rivals you think Lakers, 76'ers, Pistons, never the Knicks. How about football. One word the "Patriots". I know you'll say the Giants, but the Pats weren't in existence when they were good. Then there's Hockey, pro, college hockey, college football, PLEASE don't ask me to compare!

I'll never forget, when Derek Sanderson skated behind the Ranger's net in a playoff game and two Rangers came charging in with their gloves dropped a full 20 feet away. Derek proceeded to beat the piss out of both of them. It was pitiful.

I know, you'll drag in the Islanders, but that's like saying the Hartford Whalers are a Boston team. Then you'll start draging in the New Jersey teams. Pick a team and call it New York, not every team with in a 200 mile radius, because you have a bigger population.

Ezed

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    all I have to say about red socks is that they are tough to accessorize around

FK
    AND YOU FELICIA! Yeah your right, except at Chirstmas!

See you at the bar Mega, the off season is going to be interesting.

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

really. nobody is really gonna watch the lcs. maybe the WS if Chi makes it, but not like likely. no offense=no ratings

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P

Professional Poster

LMAO@ the Boston vs. New York comparison.

Boston is an oversized college town, it's the only major northern city where racism is practiced openly. It's got a crappy nightlife, clubs close at 2am or is it midnight? You can't get a good slice of pizza, decent cheesesteak. The north end has some good restaurants. Face it people don't say, "I'm going to be big, I'm moving to BOSTON." It's not an it town. It's second fiddle.

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips