Veteran Poster

Default Obama's speech to Muslims

What are your thoughts on President Obama's speech in Cairo where he sought to bridge gulfs between USA and Muslims? Is this a new beginning or just more rhetoric?

Make your voice count - free Aung San Suu Kyi

It will be hard to change the view. Good step in the right direction though.

I liked it. It's refreshing to get past the demonizing & hate mongering.

I haven't heard much from the Muslim world yet. That's who he was talking to. We just got to listen in. I figure it'll take a couple of days to digest it all. In the meantime, all we're going to hear is the shrill sniveling of extremists.I'm not doing too bad at ignoring them so far.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Chased Thru The Woods... 5 Star Poster bte's Avatar

I am not a fan of Obama economic policies, but I believe his foreign policy is a step in the right direction.

Blood's thicker like a virgin's pussy on Homecoming.

Junior Poster

Good to open a new dialogue yet i dont agree that you make apologies to people for protecting USA citizens , my fear is that Obama tries to be president of the world instead of president of the USA , dialogue has been tried before so i am more a person who says talk is cheap , action is all !
    Seems we are asking for forgiveness at times for being American and Obama seems to care more about world opinion of him then USA like we are some second class citizens . Critic USA is fine as long as you also call to account all other nations and dont give them free passes !

Ultimatums aren't dialog.
    Admitting the truth may or may not be construed as an apology, but apology is not necessarily appeasement.

We suck at being an empire, & the harder we try, the bigger the target that gets painted on all of us. Time for a new approach. President Obama invoked the golden rule as the climax of his speech. Let's try that for a while. Who knows? It just might work.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Veteran Poster

Once again, I've got to agree with hippifried. I'm also hopeful that this speech can mark the start of a positive outcome for everyone. When maintaining the status quo is unacceptable, then change should be welcomed.

Interested analysis from Stratfor

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20090...aeli_relations

Do you agree with the assessment of Netanyahu's options - or lack thereof? The shadow of Lieberman must worry Netanyahu. Indeed, it should probably worry us all!

Veteran Poster

The reports of widespread abuse of detainees at Bagram camp in Afghanistan is disappointingly reminiscent of previous reports in Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8116046.stm

It's unclear whether these abuses were limited to the Bush administration or are continuing but, given the positive response to Obama's Cairo speech, it has the potential to undermine this approach. BBC reports that the White House has decided to block publication of photos relating to Bagram abuse, in another echo of Bush administration.

Veteran Poster

The reports of widespread abuse of detainees at Bagram camp in Afghanistan is disappointingly reminiscent of previous reports of US abuse in Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8116046.stm

It's unclear whether these alleged abuses were limited to the Bush administration or are continuing but, given the positive response to Obama's Cairo speech, it has the potential to undermine this approach. BBC reports that the White House has decided to block publication of photos relating to Bagram abuse, in another echo of Bush administration.