Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default I'm ready to make that move to NYC now

Chicago has become pretty dry and stale, and due to the recent 3 robberies in 1 month and nothing done about it was the straw that broke the camels back. I dont feel comfortable or safe in my own home anymore, and the show opportunitys are non-exsistant, the men aint shit, not even to console me in this hard time, and its been in the back of my mind for a few years to leave here and move to NYC. I have no family here and all my real friends and guys who's shoulders I cry on are all in NYC. I currantly pay $1100 for a 2 bedroom apartment with a parking space. I know something that size for that price is not possible in manhattan, but where could I go close to manhattan and get a space big enough for me and my drag wardrobe. The smallest I could get would be a 1 bedroom. I dont cook so I wouldnt need a huge kitchen, I dont drive so I'd have to be close to a train that gets me into Manhattan. My girlfriend lives in Bay Ridge, brooklyn, but I HATE that long ass train ride, especially after a show at Esco's or the Monster or dancing at one of Sunny's or Allanah's partys. How ts friendly is Jackson Heights or Astoria Queens? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I could grab my clothes and leave now I would.
    I have 2 cats but I will find a good home for them before I leave. I wanted to save my money and get some work done, but the fear of coming home to an empty house and the depression from dealing with this in this dead ass city is more than I can handle. Any SERIOUS help would be appreciated. I also have a girlfriend in Jersy who will let me work out of her house to make money to move to NYC.

Platinum Poster

Jersey City or Hoboken is only 5 minutes on the PATH train to downtown.

if you moved here, i would be VERY VERY happy.

Rookie Poster

Thats a shame you feel that way about Chicago. I've been all over America, and there's no place like the Windy City in my humble opinion

"Never doubt I love" - Shakespeare

http://www.myspace.com/riverofchaos

Quote Originally Posted by River
    Thats a shame you feel that way about Chicago. I've been all over America, and there's no place like the Windy City in my humble opinion
    Its fucked up to say but when I go home and realized that shit was MISSING again! I kew its time to go.

Jackson Hts and Astoria are very trans friendly. However the subway service from Manhattan to Queens at 3 or 4 am REALLY, REALLY sucks. :>(

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

i've actually been looking for apartments in NYC too, moving there in a couple of months. the neighborhood i'm leaning closest to moving to is east harlem. it's cheap compared to most other places on manhattan, and from what people are telling me the area is changing, it's not as crime riddled as you might immediately think. looking on a map it's really close to central park and all those billion dollar apartments, so how bad can it be? heh

the main selling point, for me at least, is that it's actually on the island. it doesn't seem too far from midtown and lower manhattan. i was looking at some places in queens and jersey too, but they seem a million miles away from the heart of the city.

Last edited by JHANIAH L0VE Sep 17, 2009 2:00 am

Junior Poster

well... 1100 will get you a lot more than before the crash... Boro Park, kensington, even bay ridge is not that far out there, and about $25-30 for a taxi. in my experience those part of queens are just as far.

Jersey City looks cute and is cheap, but you always are transfering trains and they run crappy late and on weekends, plus it's corrupt and depressing. and forget about parking there, really bad!

<^ . .^>
    ( İvİ )

Veteran Poster

Hope your move is a great success Vanessa and you find real happiness in NY.

Make your voice count - free Aung San Suu Kyi

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138
    Jackson Hts and Astoria are very trans friendly. However the subway service from Manhattan to Queens at 3 or 4 am REALLY, REALLY sucks. :>(
    well Iwouldntmind the $20 cab ride. My girlfriend lives in BayRidge and that ride SUKS!!!!I wanna be close to manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138
    How is the rentinthose areas??