Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: CANADA

Default Re: 1 more thing

Quote Originally Posted by Pinzely
    The canadians were the first ones to depart at the beach of normandie. We were the ones who took the beach. Not the americans, remember that
    You sound like a kid in the third grade. "We were the ones who took the beach?" Hmm, well there were SIX landing sites, not one.

And what's with this "we" crap? I seriously doubt you had anything to do with it. Brave Canadian, British, and Americans soldiers fought and died on those beaches, you had nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by suckseed
    you guys would drool over Klinger as long as he was in a dress.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by altarica
    Firstly penicillin was discovered, not invented you moron, by Sir Alexander Fleming of Darvel,Ayrshire in Scotland, county of my birth.

The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell, oh another Scot.

So............FUCK CANADA!!!!
    You´re right with Fleming but, unfortunately, he didn´t come up with the idea to use it for medical purpose. And the telephone has come a long way before. Samuel Moreland from London tried to transfer voices through instruments in the late 17th century. However, the history of the modern telephone began with Morse.
    Btw, Innocenzo Manzetti, Tivadar Puskás, Philipp Reis and Elisha Gray have been succesful with building functional phones before Alexander Graham Bell, so he can´t be the inventor but for sure on of the few pioneers. Everything in technology today has come a long way before the ideas were born many centuries earlier. The predecessor of the car can be recognized in the invention of the wheel. The English monk Roger Bacon who lived during the 13th century wrote:"One day we´ll build rides that will move and stay in motion without being pushed or pulled by animals."
    Da Vinci designed some kind of a tank on wheels in 1490 but it was never built. Nothing was invented over-night.

Canada is a cool countrybut some of skullyjcm´s points are wrong and ridiculous. Insulin and penicillin were not invented but discovered...... but not by Canadians. The Hudson Bay Company was an European company founded by the English king Carl II. Washington D.C. was burnt down by British troops during the British-American War in 1814. There was no Canadian nation during these events nor a Canadian state because Canada becamed independent in 1919. And still most of the Canadians consider themselves French or English.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Coroner
    And still most of the Canadians consider themselves French or English.

What the hell are you smoking? Canadians consider themselves Canadian. We have anglophones and francophones here and also people from a myriad of other countries and we all live in peace and harmony.

Canada is a proud but humble country. Just don't mistake our kindness for weakness....

Quote Originally Posted by Legallylarge

What the hell are you smoking? Canadians consider themselves Canadian. We have anglophones and francophones here and also people from a myriad of other countries and we all live in peace and harmony.

Canada is a proud but humble country. Just don't mistake our kindness for weakness....
    You can still transfer from the Canadian Army right into British units, IIRC.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Silver Poster

Well, I might be wrong because I´m not well-informed about your Canadian national consciousness but according to the 2006 census, Canadian citizens stated their ethnicities (English, French, Scottish, Irish etc.) and only one third of them declared themselves as Canadian. Yes, I know, there´s a difference between ethnicity and nationality but I doubt you´ll find an American whose ancestors immigrated 200 years ago from Scotland and who´d declare himself Scottish. He is of Scottish origin but that´s all. However, the identifications in Europe are a little bit different than with the "new nations" like yours.
    I never said you´re weak. Canada is a young but still interesting country. You should just stop that seal murdering.

Professional Poster

I'll give one for the "against" side...

Celine Dione

... we're truly truly sorry for this. We'll never be able to make up for it.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jaycanuck
    I'll give one for the "against" side...

Celine Dione

... we're truly truly sorry for this. We'll never be able to make up for it.
    Agreed. What an abomination we've released on the world. THankfully, she's the US's problem now.

Rookie Poster

Well, I might be wrong because I´m not well-informed about your Canadian national consciousness but according to the 2006 census, Canadian citizens stated their ethnicities (English, French, Scottish, Irish etc.) and only one third of them declared themselves as Canadian. Yes, I know, there´s a difference between ethnicity and nationality but I doubt you´ll find an American whose ancestors immigrated 200 years ago from Scotland and who´d declare himself Scottish. He is of Scottish origin but that´s all. However, the identifications in Europe are a little bit different than with the "new nations" like yours.
    You answered your own question. Ethnicities are quite different from nationalities. There are some francophones who don't consider themselves Canadian and stoke the fires of separation but in the past 30 years the province of Quebec has undergone three referendum votes to separate and each time the vote is defeated. Clearly the majority of Quebeckers consider themselves Canadian.

THe US is a melting pot and they don't generally have the 'hyphenated American', wheras Canada is a mosaic, although more and more I see people dropping the hyphen and just saying they are Canadian.

I never said you´re weak. Canada is a young but still interesting country. You should just stop that seal murdering.
    I know... sorry if you thought that was directed at you but it wasn't.

Too many people see Canada as a push-over nation because we're polite and nice. But look at our history in war and you'll see our fighting men and women have a fine history of being ferocious warriors who are feared by their enemies.

Plus... we hold the world's largest concentration of fresh water among other natural resources. As the world continues to effe up it's drinking water, guess who'll be king.

Veteran Poster

"12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany ."

I think the Swiss Romands would argue with you on that one!
    At least the Canadians have the metric system, one sure sign of civilisation!

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    I really like Canadia and in defense of their beer I have to ask if the naysayers had REAL Labatts or Moosehead (Or Steam Whistle or any of the other local brews)? The US varieties of said beers are not the same and the only truth to the words "Imported from Canada" may be the basic recipe and the trademaked names. Step across the border and try the genuine animal.

Also, wasn't Antonio Meiucci (Inventor of the telephone) Italian? Or was he also from Canadia?
    I have been to Canada and had the beer and was not impressed. I'm not just speaking from pride I've got the experience to back it up too. If you like it thats cool some people swear by Coors and Pabst too.