Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Re: Television in a State of Decline

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Choc69
    Is it just me or is TV in an almost constant state of decline?
    It's not just you. TV is definitely going down the drain. It's like some of them are not even trying any more.

Hell, man! At least pluck your eyebrows and do something about that 5 o'clock shadow. You look like a gorilla in a sun dress!

Default Re: Television in a State of Decline

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Choc69
    Is it just me or is TV in an almost constant state of decline? Don't get me wrong there are still some good shows out there but it seems a LOT of the new shows are the same basic concepts of existing shows. Or they are just lacking any kind of real story or depth.

Thoughts?
    This has been going on forever.

But what would you consider the "best era of tv shows" if not the current time?

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Gold Poster

There are some good shows out there but they don't get the media hype as some overrated shows like lost and heroes and get canceled quickly.

Plus people love these trashy fake ass reality show ( ME included.)

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

This is just another case of an industry being dominated by bean counters. Imaginative innovation requires risk. Nobody's willing to pony up because that might interfere with maintenance of the quarterly reports. Entertainment is art & you have to strive for excellence, but that's not condusive to mass advertizing numbers that look for the lowest common denominator.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Professional Poster

As someone already stated, I believe this is a product of the greed (deadly sin) that will eventually be the downfall of civilization, and is the cause of our current financial crisis. People don't care about a good product, only a lucrative one. But I also submit that people aren't as creative as they used to be. Kids used to be able to entertain themselves with just a stick because they could imagine it was anything. Nowadays kids don't even want to go outside. "what's there to do out there?" they say. If it ain't on a computer, they don't want it. They are quite creative WITH a computer, but using their brains without one is a lost ART. Thats why tv, movies and music are all just re-hashed garbage--- they know how to use a computer to re-do someone elses art, but lack the creativity to come up with something new.

"I don't see it that way. I see it as a complete and total betrayal of my testicles!"

Is it just me or is TV in an almost constant state of decline? Don't get me wrong there are still some good shows out there but it seems a LOT of the new shows are the same basic concepts of existing shows.

Old saying: "Imitation is the sincerest form of Television."

Nothing has changed, your brain is telling you to watch better shows or, God forbid, read a book. 60 Minutes, Frontline, Independent Lens, Entourage (maybe... lets see if they maintain), IFC, NGC,.... there's some decent stuff around, you just won't find much of it on the networks in prime time. Get a dvr & cherry pick.

Just remember the Tv networks job isn't to be creative, it's to sell soap. Its method is to keep the largest amount of people possible in an uncritical semi-stupor until the commercials run & it will put anything on that will accomplish that.

The only great shows left....

Junior Poster

It's funny how opinions vary on what actually IS good TV. Frankly, TV has been about the same for the last 50 years, 90% crap and 10% watchable product. This hasn't changed, just the quantity. I'm always amazed when I watch some movies or shows that I thought were fantastic back in the 70's and 80's how absolutely terrible they actually were. Acting like things have gotten worse is simply misplaced nostalgia.

If I knew it was gonna be this kind of party, I'd'a stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by NewAgain
    The only great shows left....

LOL "great" more like overhyped pieces of mainstream garbage but to each his own.