Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default America gave Us the simpsons, McDonalds and this?!?!

Ok, I think the states gave us heaps of great things but this is one thing that may be a bit unexpected.
    Hip hop/Rap and the associated Gang culture is huuge 'Down Under' especially New Zealand. Young boys as young as 10 are selling drugs on the street or working as prospects for older kids (doing their dirty work) as they get older they might join a gang like the killer bees, the bloods or the cryps (yes thats right- the bloods and the cryps). The young maori and Pac Islander kids of New Zealand dress in the clothes that you would expect to see on 50cent or Eminem- brands such as rocawear, Karl Kani, Kappa, Converse and any white teeshirts that are hideously oversized along with jeans that are similarly sized. Some of the young boys dream of getting out of the slums (housing corp areas of New Zealand) by becoming famous rappers and practice their beatboxing and freestyling skills with their friends at playgrounds etc.

Why do they try to be like these American rappers? Well they dont try to be like them- according to some of the young 'gangsters' in this clip. To the young kids of this country 11 hours away from the USA the lyrics and lives of these rappers can be appreciated by these young kids who also may have been bought up on Welfare benefits, who witnessed gang fights, drug dealing and other shit associated with this lifestyle.

check this clip.

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

gangs were around long before rap and hip hop

Default Re: America gave Us the simpsons, McDonalds and this?!?!

Hey, wadda ya gonna do? Italy gave us pasta, great wine, and the Sicilian mafia. C'est la vie.

But in all seriousness, even without the influence of rap culture, those kids would have been petty criminals. In America, some of the earliest urban youth gangs were made up of Jewish, Irish and Italian kids.

New Zealand has dozens of criminal biker gangs:

Can't blame that on 50Cent!

Quote Originally Posted by suckseed
    you guys would drool over Klinger as long as he was in a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Reflections
    gangs were around long before rap and hip hop
    I think to be honest that gangs in the United States Of America were truly Introduced by caucasian men, KKK for instance racist pricks killing people over skin pigment...Sounds like a gang to me.

Living your dream! Just call me your superhero! JIX
    1/3 of the Legendary Trifecta called O ED & the Jizzzyyy...
    PeekyMcWatchmeFUCK!
    OEJTM-#DEGENERATES
    HBSF-FETC

Junior Poster

Blaming hip hop as the cause of gang violence is absolutely retarded. Give those kids hope and a future and you'll solve the reason that they join gangs, be they crips, hells angels, or neo-nazi. Social justice is an amazing force.

If I knew it was gonna be this kind of party, I'd'a stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

We gave England Madonna. You guys can have Janeane Garofalo if you want her. We'll even throw in Sean Penn.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Don't forget, they gave us Syphilis and Wagon Wheels as well!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by luv2playwithTgirls
    Blaming hip hop as the cause of gang violence is absolutely retarded. Give those kids hope and a future and you'll solve the reason that they join gangs, be they crips, hells angels, or neo-nazi. Social justice is an amazing force.
    Good comment.

New Zealand does have a problem with gangs and is struggling to find a solution. Bear in mind that the gang names and badges are associated with different ethnic origins. Tongans vs Samoans vs Maori has been a continual cause of violence. Now these groups have new titles and heavily into P and other drug distribution.

Can't really blame the US for our own problems.

Make your voice count - free Aung San Suu Kyi

Default Re: America gave Us the simpsons, McDonalds and this?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by 2009AD
    Hey, wadda ya gonna do? Italy gave us pasta, great wine, and the Sicilian mafia. C'est la vie.

But in all seriousness, even without the influence of rap culture, those kids would have been petty criminals. In America, some of the earliest urban youth gangs were made up of Jewish, Irish and Italian kids.

New Zealand has dozens of criminal biker gangs:

Can't blame that on 50Cent!
    I was kinda expecting the link to be this,
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=5111190

Joking aside, if we're going to blame their gang problems on our rap, why not also blame their gang problems on our motorcycle culture?

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Rap/HipHop should be considered as poetry. NOT MUSIC. seriously the guys who make the Musak for elevators have more imagination and artistry. You want a break beat? Well apply it to a tune not the same eight bars like an 94 mobile phone ring tone..

You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.