Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

Hey anybody remember "Picket fences" ?

Junior Poster

if anyone ever needs to understand the difference between Brits and Yanks, the Fawlty Towers episode when the American comes to stay is a real 'study in action' Bruce Boa -who was actually Canadian- is brilliant. The strength of the show was always the cameo actors in each episode as well as the fantastic scripts!

Junior Poster

Rookie Poster

fawlty towers

Omg people are still bigging up the eternally lame Fawlty Towers! Have they ever seen any other sitcoms?

Another sitcom which is over praised is Curb Your Enthusiasm. The only funny bit was the "beloved cunt" obituary. In each episode Larry has an altercation with someone. Then, coincidentally and in all of Los Angeles to choose from, he meets them again in a social situation later that day, and hilarity ensues - not!

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by T-girl hound
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    Quote Originally Posted by T-girl hound
    2nd "Frasier"
    Too little too late, Francis.

You've already doomed yourself to eternal lameness by your gushing endorsement of the achingly abysmal 'Friends'....
    10 years funboy, need i say more, the show is iconic
    Good point, zippy. I suppose even mediocrity(or just aspiring to mediocrity like 'Friends') could be considered iconic in some twisted way if it is allowed to fester long enough.

Like Michael Bolton.

Or Celine Dion.

Or I daresay, yourself.

That will be all.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Professional Poster

Along the same vein as Fawlty Towers, nobody does misunderstandings like the British.

Has anyone seen the British series of Coupling? Not to be confused with the US spinoff series which wasn't as good, imo. I have all four seasons on DVD. It stars Jack Davenport, who appeared as the stuck up British officer in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

The thing that made it funny was the farce of misunderstandings leading to some funny situations.

eg.
    Susan is afraid that her ex boyfriend Patrick has kept a video of her and him having sex. The other guys find the video in Patrick's collection and are watching it when Susan walks in on them.

She exclaims at one point, "What really bothers me is that you three guys having been watching this sex video for 20 minutes and you still haven't realised that it's not me in the video."

Patrick says, "Well, we weren't looking at the faces. Oh yes, you're right. Gee I must have taped over the sex tape of you and me. Well, I only keep the good ones..."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What if all these fantasies come flailing around?

Veteran Poster

Top five:

1. Absolutely Fabulous
    2. Little Britain
    3. Are you being served
    4. Keeping up appearances
    5. As time goes by

Quote Originally Posted by LTR_Seeker
    never heard of any of them Hara except 1 & 3
    They are all old brit. sit coms... as for "Are you Being Served", that was big in the 70's in the UK, when people still laughed at pussy (as in the female genitalia type) jokes and it was politically correct to portray gays as effete, mincing and limp wristed

My vote goes to "Yes Minister" and I am the proud owner of a boxed DVD set of Bilko, one of the first truly great sitcoms always worth a repeat watching

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Professional Poster

Ab Fab was great.

Did you ever see the movie Little Voice? It stars Jane Horrocks, the actress who played the wacky personal assistant for LaCroix as well as two other characters in Ab Fab.

She did all the singing in that movie which is phenomenal. She's very versatile. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.

What if all these fantasies come flailing around?

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsemint
    Ab Fab was great.

Did you ever see the movie Little Voice? It stars Jane Horrocks, the actress who played the wacky personal assistant for LaCroix as well as two other characters in Ab Fab.

She did all the singing in that movie which is phenomenal. She's very versatile. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.
    can't say I have. Thanks for the recommendation eclipse! I'm a big fan of Jane Horrocks.

ceci n'est pas une signature.