Default Bailey; The Man Who Would Be Queen

what does everything think of this book?
    His study insists that transsexuals are nothing more than men who get off on the idea of being women, and that they are men just transitioning for fetish reasons, however, men who are tranny chasers only want TS's who are "men," and won't acknowledge a post-op so this sounds true that most TS's aren't transitioning for the right reasons.

http://www.psych.northwestern.edu/ps...ontroversy.htm

Still Here 5 Star Poster

Bailey's book is the sort that will do nothing more than foster more self-hatred in the transgender community (ie Transgendered persons and the so-called "tranny chasers"), and his book paints a condescending picture to any person looking in for a view of the transgendered community. In a similar fashion to the way Joesph Conrad's Heart of Darkness painted a picture of "savages".
    He basically waters down the whole reason for transsexuality to sex. Bailey feels transsexuals are nothing more than promiscuous "gay men" who want to fool straight men into having sex with them.He cataloges the likely occupations of transsexuals as "waitresses, hairdressers, receptionists, strippers and prostitutes, as well as in many other professions." But it turns out he didn't actually interview that many transsexuals, just a few he met in a gay bar in chicago. Hardly a scientic study, so it's hardly a scientic book.
    And finally he quotes Clarke Institute, which is nicknamed Jurassic Clarke for good reason.

Gold Poster

u tell them guy

Jurassis Calrke... shouldn't they be extinct by now? :P

5 Star Poster

Default Yes he is a jackass...

There is nothing worse than an idiot with a degree blustering that he knows something he is clueless about. Sorry for any of you Psychology types out there... It's just how I feel.

----- Original Message -----
    To: jm-bailey@northwestern.edu
    Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:30 PM
    Subject: Dearest Professor

When I was going to school, everyone wanted to take Psychology because #1 - the classes were always easy A's and #2 - anybody with half a brain could BS there way through almost anything thrown at them in such a class. Engineering students pretty much scoffed at the Psych's because it is really the most brainless degree outside of American History that one could take... OK, maybe Sociology fits in there somewhere.

Anyway, I am glad that you have put your "degree(s)" toward good use. You are definitely clueless in your field and I find your research and banter extremely weak. You're just another jackass lumping transsexuals in with gays because you REALLY don't have a clue. Keeping talking with drag queens and women of the night for your research and the quality will remain as such.

Vicki

Gold Poster

heheh

way to go girl

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

guy - fantastic comeback - you expressed exactly what I also feel.
    seanchai