Default And you thought discrimination is bad in America...

But Google failed to judge how its offering would be received, as it has often done in Japan. The company is now facing inquiries from the Justice Ministry and angry accusations of prejudice because its maps detailed the locations of former low-caste communities.

The maps date back to the country's feudal era, when shoguns ruled and a strict caste system was in place. At the bottom of the hierarchy were a class called the "burakumin," ethnically identical to other Japanese but forced to live in isolation because they did jobs associated with death, such as working with leather, butchering animals and digging graves.

Castes have long since been abolished, and the old buraku villages have largely faded away or been swallowed by Japan's sprawling metropolises. Today, rights groups say the descendants of burakumin make up about 3 million of the country's 127 million people.

But they still face prejudice, based almost entirely on where they live or their ancestors lived. Moving is little help, because employers or parents of potential spouses can hire agencies to check for buraku ancestry through Japan's elaborate family records, which can span back over a hundred years.

An employee at a large, well-known Japanese company, who works in personnel and has direct knowledge of its hiring practices, said the company actively screens out burakumin job seekers.

"If we suspect that an applicant is a burakumin, we always do a background check to find out," she said. She agreed to discuss the practice only on condition that neither she nor her company be identified.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200905...e_dark_secrets

Incredible and sad at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

Professional Poster

That is the most asinine thing I have EVER seen. Take google to court for making ancient maps available, but don't put the people who are committing prejudice prior to, and by it, at all. Brilliant.

Oh, and America, in perspective of the entire world, is actually doing much better than most. Do a little traveling and it should be very apparent. I'm not saying we can't improve, but it's nothing compared to the majority of the rest of the world.

Junior Poster

Japan has always taken umbrage with people talking about it's less enlightened historical moments. Try getting a Japanese person to talk about what happened at Nanking during WWII!

If I knew it was gonna be this kind of party, I'd'a stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!