Veteran Poster

Default Sex worker to member of parliament

Georgina Beyer talks about her journey from sex worker to becoming the first elected member of parliament on BBC World programme. The time will vary depending upon location:

http://www.bbcworldnews.com/Pages/Programme.aspx?id=191

Make your voice count - free Aung San Suu Kyi

Veteran Poster

A recent interview with Georgina Beyer included the following.

Interviewer: You were attacked and raped in Australia in the late 1970s. You have said this horrific event was a defining moment for you-why is that?

GB: After I recovered from the ordeal of being gang-raped by four men in Sydney, Australia, I felt angered by the injustice of it all; it seemed to reinforce the "scum-of-the-earth" attitude that society seemed to have toward people like me. I felt I had no rights to charge the rapists, and even if I did, I wondered how seriously would a sex-worker tranny from New Zealand would be taken. I felt worthless enough to do nothing at the time.

Later, the experience defined for me that no person should ever have to feel that worthless and helpless-that hate crime is wrong and that I will prove my worth as a human being who happens to be transsexual.

[/i]

Fortunately the situation in New Zealand has changed for the better: prostitution is legal, sex-workers are protected by police and offends receive prison sentences.
    What's the situation where you are? Are tgirl sex-workers protected? Are they treated as "scum-of-the-earth"?

Make your voice count - free Aung San Suu Kyi

She switched from the world's oldest profession to the world's second oldest profession.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.