Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

From my very first post in this thread my complaint has been about the bloodlust and belligerence of a certain segment “onlookers” following this particular event. I admit nothing pushes my buttons like a collection of boisterous, belligerent assholes. Now I understand no one wants to be interrupted while they’re cheering the deaths of three scumbags the world will never miss. So chiming in was a mistake. For not sharing in the blood lust, I been berated for sympathizing with the pirates, not sympathizing with the abductees, insulting the abductees (as if they’re regulars visitors to HA), allowing hypothetical thieves to steal me blind without so much as firing a shot, accusing the U.S. Navy of belligerence, etc. etc.

Well, [I'm] happy to say the Navy wasn’t belligerent and the innocent escaped peril. Still the outcome is not a happy one. Three people, who might have lived, died. It’s their own fault, yes. I don’t dispute that. But that’s no cause for celebration. Somalia is a tragic State. It’s been in economic ruin for decades. It seems a common place to subscribe to the Somali pirates the motive of “greed”. I think that’s probably correct. Yet I think it is a greed born out of deprivation. “Oh shit, there she goes again sympathizing with the enemy!” No, attempting to understand the deeper motivations of behavior is not sympathizing. It’s just the rational thing to do if you want to solve social, political and economic problems. The unfortunate deaths did not solve anything but the most immediate problem, saving the innocent life of Capt. Phillips. I will trust the Navy sniper’s judgment that that was the only solution to the immediate problem as it came to a head. But those deaths will only exasperate the problems of piracy off the coast of Somalia. I don’t think any amount Naval power can keep those waters safe until something is done to [lift] Somalia out of it economic situation.

[edits in square brackets]

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Rookie Poster

The whole pirate controversy is what provoked Thomas Jefferson into forming an active on going Naval force along with a Corps of Marines.

It's in our antham, from the shores of Tripoli... the Marines before me fought pirates on their own for 15 years. Many great battle stories indeed!

Look, we tried to help Somolia, that one I didn't miss out on. It was a fiasco, their own people stealing the food shipments out from under them. In the end, we weren't welcome there, and the numbers were huge. So starve you stupid mother fuckers! That's what I say, geesh!

Those early Marines, now they were the shit! Swinging from ropes onto the other ships, or boarding from a little dingy. You had one shot back then, the guns of the time were muzzle loaders, no time to reload, so after that one shot, they fought with swords, knives, hand to hand. The sword is still a strong part of our ceremonial heritage.

It's in our antham, from the shores of Tripoli...
    Huh? I thought the anthem was from the halls of Montezuma TO the shores of Tripoli. Dude! You're going backwards! I guess that's why they had to call in the swabbies to handle it this time.

Trish,
    You need to get with the program.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pp30261vampire_girl_posters_207.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	234513  

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG
    Quote Originally Posted by MacShreach
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahG

You know why merchants don't arm themselves? Because it's illegal. .
    Merchant ships sailing in international waters may carry weapons. Merchant marine ships may not carry weapons in the national waters of many countries, however.
    Which is a big point considering that this ship was sailing into Somalia with relief aid.
    Except the Maersk Alabama was sailing to Mombasa, Kenya with relief aid for Uganda, Somalia and Rwanda.

And the attack occurred in international waters

Alright Then.

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    So you choose to take seriously a scenario which I intentionally entitled an “amusing solution”; i.e. one not to be taken seriously. You even twist your language to make it appear the pirates are carrying out my “multimillion dollar toll idea.” How can we believe anything you have to offer on this subject when you’re so willing to cherry pick and misstate other people’s positions?
    Surely you did not expect anyone to take your trite analogy seriously, but who except a very flippant person would joke like this, even as people lay dead or are still held captive?
    Car-jackers are about the closest thing on land to which pirates can be compared. If a series of car-jackings had resulted in the sort of mayhem we've seen over the past few months, would you callously call the car-jackers something benign and suggest they were entitled to their crimes, as you did with the pirates.
    Go back and read your posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by trish
    In these posts I have not lamented anyone’s grief and I have not offered my sympathies to anyone. Do you really think this is the place for lamentations? There have been half a dozen posts in thread that have boasted that no one will miss three dead pirates. I pointed out those claims may be false, and for that I’m disrespectful of the families of the abducted and not offering them their fair share of sympathy!

What bugs you, phobun, is that someone would dare pipe up and ruin the fun while everyone is shouting about how we kicked ass and killed some no good fuckers. I’m impressed, you’re a real man.
    Your last statement is blatantly dishonest. Try to find where I was revelling in the bloodlust. Take note of my preface in the last thread, where I wrote that it is sad the 3 teens died.

I still maintain that you're a not-very-bright sheep who took up for pirates.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I believe you called them stupid greedy teenagers, but whose quibbling? I tried to be a clear as can be, correcting misconceptions and misrepresentations of my position. If you refuse to believe my position is what I say it is, that's now your affair. Maintain away.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

Somalia is a mess, with severe deprivation and without a legitimate Government or legislature attempting to address these underlying povity.

The Solami Pirates were originally considered some kind of joke, but they're desperate people who are well equipped and know these waters. Now that blood has been spilled I wonder whether companies will be prepared to risk lives as well as ransom.

Surely the solution lies in helping rebuild the country and negotiating arrangements with the pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by tstv_lover
    Somalia is a mess, with severe deprivation and without a legitimate Government or legislature attempting to address these underlying povity.

The Solami Pirates were originally considered some kind of joke, but they're desperate people who are well equipped and know these waters. Now that blood has been spilled I wonder whether companies will be prepared to risk lives as well as ransom.

Surely the solution lies in helping rebuild the country and negotiating arrangements with the pirates.
    I know you mean well, but pirates are never considered a joke; even the most incompetent ones are dangerous. If you heard the 2cnd Mate of the Maersk speaking after the rescue, he was pretty respectful of the abilities of the pirates. Otherwise I agree--attempts to extirpate piracy by force have been going on since the days that Rome raided pirate nests on the North African coast, and we still have the problem. The solution is not force but adequate ship defence and much more importantly, supporting the local Govts to get control of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave32111
    You did notice, of course, that in 2007 (for instance), the US gave out $21,197,000,000 in foreign aid?

I don't support everything the US government does, but I damn well think we do a lot better than most other nations.
    The american goverment sould keep this money for the American people. The all "Charity" matter is well known to everyone that wants to make publiC relations, all this money off course is money that are going to specific goverments, all this money its nothing else but a tool for political influence to several countries and goverments.

Also this money is exactlly an alabite for the American politic that needs a profile like this.

The problem is not the Americvan Nation or anything else like this, is generally the capitalist system that create imperialist countries who trying to have bigger part of the "pie", so i m not talking only for the Americans and offcourse not for the people.

Americans are only the leaders in this game, that make billionaires with the sweat of the people.

I m not going to support any pirate but i have to say that all this pirates have connectiions with terrorist groups , and this groups off course have closed relations with the goverments, and i m not going to forget that the big nations with USA first was supporting goverments like Somalian because very simple "doing the job".

Off course this allliances is changing and many times you ve turned your bag to your childs(Bin Landen, Sadam, Taliban, etc).

Default Re: Somali Pirates Are So Dumb. LOL & Double LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet
    When you see our flag run away and try another ship. You 3 were dead the moment you boarded the ship. Say hi to Satan for me losers! God Bless America and the US Navy Seals.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514775,00.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8105g6a_151.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	234555