Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I was thinking primarily of condemnation proceeds where the gov't seizes your property - not much choice there. As for the taxes (fees actually) that cover services such as police, sanitation, road maintainance, public schools etc. if unpaid the gov't should use the options of garnisheeing the property owner's salary an/or putting a lien on his bank accounts. Eviction should not be used. It should be left up to the property owner to decide if the property should be sold to pay these charges or financed by borrowing rather than a forced eviction.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

you get fair market value through condemnation. I don't know exactly how the figure is reached, but there's a formula.

Homeowners are free to refinance or sell their property at any time for any reason. They have to qualify for any loans of course, & creditors get theirs off the top from any sale of course.

What's the point?

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Your property isn't truly (or really) yours if you can be evicted from it forcibly by the gov't. There have been plenty of complaints the proprty owners didn't get true market value in condemnation proceedings.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

Banned for being a shit stain on humanity. Junior Poster

"If the government OWNED the property, there wouldn’t be a private land owner to pay the PROPERTY tax. You just got yourself entangled in a logical conundrum! Taxes simply do not function as rent. Land owners do NOT have leases with their respective governments. In the U.S., as I assume in most other places, property owners hold titles."

Try not payin' your property taxes (land). Let me know how that works out for ya.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beandip
    "If the government OWNED the property, there wouldn’t be a private land owner to pay the PROPERTY tax. You just got yourself entangled in a logical conundrum! Taxes simply do not function as rent. Land owners do NOT have leases with their respective governments. In the U.S., as I assume in most other places, property owners hold titles."

Try not payin' your property taxes (land). Let me know how that works out for ya.
    I already addressed that issue, beandip. Why don't you try keeping up with the discussion?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138
    Your property isn't truly (or really) yours if you can be evicted from it forcibly by the gov't. There have been plenty of complaints the proprty owners didn't get true market value in condemnation proceedings.
    So once again you use the modifier "truly" without clarifying your meaning. Do you subscribe to a metaphysical notion of propery? Certainly the law and ordinary understanding consistently distinguish between taxes and rent. Why can't you? Everyone else understands that ownership doesn't mean tax-free.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Trish: look up really and truly in any dictionary. @ beandip: agreed, that's why I amended my opening comment with the post at 11/6/09 at 3:29am. The confusion in my mind is over the word taxes. It should really be "service use fees".

Default Government to take over all water in the US

the great water heist: The next logical step after this is to calim all the water in our bodies. Sounds a bit totalitarian to me. I could be wrong though.

thx asserts,
    The confusion in my mind is over the word taxes.
    Very nicely put.