Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Junior Poster

The Gibson SG is a gorgeous guitar.

Only problem with Gibsons (which is also one of their advantages) is that the neck is glued on. Fender, and almost everybody else, screws the neck onto the body of the guitar.

This matters if you knock the guitar over, usually knocking it off a stand. The neck breaks off. You have to send it to the factory to fix. Get it back 3 months later, and it never quite sounds or plays the same again.

On a Fender they just bolt on a new neck.

Of course another option is to trade in your Epiphone Les Paul on a Gibson Les Paul and get a Strat or Tele. Which would leave you with a Fender and a Gibson.

Junior Poster

Between the Epiphone and the Gibson, the Gibson is the one to pick, assuming that money is not the issue. The Gibsons are still made in the US, while the Epi's are from Korea. The quality on the Epi is quite high (I have 4 myself), but still can't compare to the original Gibson. Better quality pickups on the stock models, but I think main difference is the feel of the neck and fingerboard. I'll play my Epi Dot or G-400 (their SG copy) and be pretty satisfied. Then I'll pick up one of my older Gibsons and say: "oh yeah, that's why ". Good luck (forget the cosmetics, go with quality.)

GOD Emperor of Mankind Platinum Poster LibertyHarkness's Avatar

ok thanks for advice about neck

I am not really looking to get another fender, i have a telecaster already but just wanted something abit different ....

xx

Liberty Harkness
    "English Transsexual Model - Entertainer - Photographer "
    Twitter

Official Website

Tumblr
    My Webcam

One of the main issues with Epi's is the build quality can be very inconsitant. You can find Epi's (especially the Ultra- models) that are very, very nice and often are better in many ways than some low end Gibsons, but you really have to spend some time with the guitar to discover its 'details' so to speak.

What you'll be doing with the guitar is also a factor, but is something many players don't always consider. For live work, I'd say a Gibson wins hands down in almost every situation, but that's not to say an Epi can't be great as well. For recording work or home use (ie the guitar will rarely be subjected to the abuses of stage work) a good Epi can perform as well as any guitar. It's just been my experience that Gibsons last longer and take the rigors of live work a bit better.

Some high end Epis are nice though, and have some built-in features (at a much lower price) that are very useful for recording, such as NanoMAG pickups. Solid/hollow body choice is also a factor as well, but then again pickups, tuners etc etc. all play a big part too.

Of course, I'd be lying if I said I always have considered these factors when buying a guitar myself... in the end a cool looking guitar can be hard to resist . Since you have other guitars already, I'd say get a new one that is a bit different from what you have, just for a bit of versatility. One of my favorite acoustics is a piece of crap ancient Vibra that just plays well, and sounds good (in certain rooms at least). So ya never know.

In any case, have fun with whatever you get.

Since you already have the Tele, I would get the Gibson.

I'm not a big fan of the Epiphone or the crazy style guitars.

Ashlee

Gender is defined between your ears, not between your legs!

What about one of these:

Gretsch Brian Setzer Hotrod

Here's a little video of one in action:

Fork 'andles

If money isn't an issue, I would get one of these. A Jackson RR1, the original bad ass high performance metal guitar. I own a couple of these, and they are super high quality usa made, fast playing metal machines. Best purchase I ever made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flamesrr1_142.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	231418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackrr1_814.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	231419  

Rookie Poster

In my opinion you should get a guitar as beautiful as you are. They also happen to play and sound phenomenal.

http://www.prsguitars.com/custom/colors.html

Quote Originally Posted by IGY
    In my opinion you should get a guitar as beautiful as you are. They also happen to play and sound phenomenal.

http://www.prsguitars.com/custom/colors.html
    I agree, the PRS guitars are very nice and unfortunately aren't as well known as they should be by a lot of players. the stigma is that they're still regarded as 'copies', but I tend to think a lot of their Les Paul styled models play better than many Gibsons and they're very well built. I've recommended them to friends before, but a lot of people want to stick with a 'name' (which is understandable) but they're damn fine guitars.

GOD Emperor of Mankind Platinum Poster LibertyHarkness's Avatar

thanks guys xxx

those Prs look nice ....and them mad looking ones above...

I am going to go with the Gibson SG i think and just save up and buy the other one myself lol... i like playing stuff by Muse, The STereophonics, The STrokes, AC DC etc ....

Liberty Harkness
    "English Transsexual Model - Entertainer - Photographer "
    Twitter

Official Website

Tumblr
    My Webcam