Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG
    I have to take issue with that thought though. I wouldn't exactly call the Victorian period peaceful, i.e. American Civil War, Franko-Prussian War, American western Indian Removal conflicts, Brazilian Revolta Da Armada, First Sino-Japanese War, Spanish-American War, Russo-Japanese War... just to name a few.

Then there is that Victorian obsession with death that the people themselves had, most major parks were primarily cemeteries (Lincoln Park was originally a large urban cemetery), then there were also all those serial killers (Jack the Ripper, Dr. Henry Howard Holmes, etc).

The quote's Oscar Wilde, I know that for sure. Something something "Gaol," isn't it? It's been a while since I read anything of Wilde's.

--
    you will learn to fear my collection of tiny hats.

Rookie Poster

late victorian - edwardian

Quote Originally Posted by Hara_Juku Tgirl
    other era's much less wars of any time - past, present and future because i like world peace. lol
    Those conflicts were all ones that occurred during the Victorian era- it was not an era of world peace. For Britain it was generally peaceful, but most of the other powers had serious roles in either direct conflicts, or indirect conflicts (i.e. the Triple Intervention).

In 1870 the Germans shipped in large ordnance and shelled Paris, then shipped in AA guns to take down the French surveillance balloons. This was the era that invented modern warfare, through trial & error during several major Victorian conflicts (American Civil War, Franko-Prussian War, and the Russo-Japanese War being the big ones in that development cycle).

Quote Originally Posted by sockmonkey
    The quote's Oscar Wilde, I know that for sure. Something something "Gaol," isn't it? It's been a while since I read anything of Wilde's.
    You are correct.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Platinum Poster Hara_Juku Tgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hara_Juku Tgirl
    other era's much less wars of any time - past, present and future because i like world peace. lol
    Those conflicts were all ones that occurred during the Victorian era- it was not an era of world peace. For Britain it was generally peaceful, but most of the other powers had serious roles in either direct conflicts, or indirect conflicts (i.e. the Triple Intervention).

In 1870 the Germans shipped in large ordnance and shelled Paris, then shipped in AA guns to take down the French surveillance balloons. This was the era that invented modern warfare, through trial & error during several major Victorian conflicts (American Civil War, Franko-Prussian War, and the Russo-Japanese War being the big ones in that development cycle).
    Thanks for the info..but i thought this thread was about your favorite era not about wars? lol

The "long periods of peace" statement (for Great Britain) was written in the history books. I only mentioned it because it coincides with my favorite era. Which meant that If I were to pick another life all over again (before present) I would have chose to live in the Victorian Era in the UK where it was generally peaceful and quiet on the war front. Besides, who wouldn't want to to make out or sword fight with a bloke wearing tight pants and a frock with the accent? lol

~Kisses.

HTG

HURDLE #1: If guys would learn to stop over complementing, and not compliment every tranny (or girl) they see and talk to (so a girl would feel it was sincere and that she's special), maybe they'd get somewhere but a dead end! lol

5 Star Poster

NOW!!!

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by sockmonkey
    You are correct.

What was the full title?

I have to go pick up The Picture of Dorian Gray again some time. Wilde was a pretty competent scribe, if overrated. Well, competent for a pederast.

--
    you will learn to fear my collection of tiny hats.