Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by LilWyte
    nerd
    and proud of it.

Give me the latest Batman over a copy of Cosmo any day!

Junior Poster

I've been an avid reader and casual collector of comics since the early 80's. I remember when "Watchmen" first hit the stands. I was immediately hooked on the works of Alan Moore and I honestly believe that "Watchmen" is the greatest graphic novel/limited series (depending on you own it) ever written.

That being said, I offer this...if you read "Watchmen" and loved it even half as much as I did then, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT GO SEE THE MOVIE. I believe, with certainty, that you will walk away from the film with as much disappointment and frustration as I did.

Now, this is all my opinion of course and this post just may very well spurn some people to go see it. If you must go see it, then my best advice is fo you to try and forget that you ever read it...you will enjoy the film much more.

Junior Poster

I just saw the movie and I really liked it. I thought it did a fine job of capturing the essence of the novel. The changes made were improvements in my opinion.

I don't think anyone could have done it better - unless they would have split it into three movies.

Even the person who I went with liked it and they had no prior Watchmen experience. The theater was packed by the way.

Junior Poster

Default I loved it

I saw Watchmen yesterday - Friday, and loved it. The introduction - first five toe 10 minutes was worth the price of admission. This is an alternartive history of the second half of the 20th Century (among other things).

The score was great. Some of the acting could have been better.

This was not just another Costume Hero movie. And it had a very nice undertone of pure kink. I can't wait to see the unrated Directors Cut on Blu-Ray.

Junior Poster

Inspired by Ruby's Marvel thread, here's who I see as Watchmen here on HA :

Oxymandias - Nyce
    Dr. Manhattan - JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    The Comedian - Chefmike
    Silk Spectre - Jennifer Paris
    Nite Owl - me since I'd get to sleep with JP
    Rorschach - Jennifer Justice for her unrelenting pursuit of faggotry

Loved the book, loved the movie. Casting was dead on. This movie is proof positive that nerds are taking over the world ....

Junior Poster

Default thx

I also hated 300 I was told by my bro not to see watchmen too. was it like as brian posehn says "where your uncle sticks his penis in your ear"?

Rookie Poster

I really liked it. It was long and I suppose slow to ADD folks who demand constant explosions but I never noticed, I really got into the story (I was surprised at how long it was when I finally looked at the time when it was over). It was dark and gritty (as I understand the comic was) and made me wish I'd read the comic as the characters were really intriguing. The punctuations of extreme violence added to the story and were a reminder that justice/heroism isn't always as glorious/romantic as people want to believe.

Rookie Poster

I'm on the fence about seeing it.

I read the comic. I liked the comic. I certainly don't think it was the greatest comic of all time like most fanatics do. But I'm definitely willing to call it Alan Moore's Magnum Opus.

I personally think that Frank Miller pulled off a better deconstruction with The Dark Knight Returns and the more contemporary (although rarely seen) All Star Batman and Robin.

My biggest problem with Watchmen has always been the fact that it's totally character driven; every time I read it, I always caught myself just drifting through the thought/speech bubbles just because I wanted to get to the next part that involved Rorschach rather than to immerse myself in the story. You might as well go pick up Steve Ditko's "The Question" (the character whom the creation of Rorschach was inspired by) and leave yourself content with him (although, Ditko's creation as he made him only lasted a few issues before DC bought the character and gutted him like a fish). If it weren't for a few plot points of interest provided by the Comedian, I probably wouldn't bother buying the book.

In which case, the story's conclusion was just so ridiculous--and I'm not talking about what happened to Rorschach0. What the Watchmen decide to do in the end makes sense according to their authoritative mentalities, which was Moore's point. But to say that they'd be given the opportunity to make such a decision based on what Ozymandias did is ludicrous. I mean, seriously: It wouldn't work.

If the movie's totally faithful, that means I'll just being seeing this same story played out on screen with beautiful visuals. I'm not sure if those visuals and the Rorschach segments will be worth ten bucks and 3 hours of my life.

Rookie Poster

This movie sucked!

I thought it was pretty good. Long, but good.