Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

What I keep reading from the defenders of 300 and this film is how wonderful an adaptation it is...Im not doubting that at all.

Fact is the vast majority of humankind has never read either soutce material,so if its goal is to appeal to its core followers than perhaps you may enjoy it if you read the series.I did not.Im also not a person going in expecting another X-Men or Spiderman either...disliked those flicks too...in fact "Dark Knight" is about the only comic based movie I really liked.

The bottom line is what took this movie 2 hours and 46 minutes couldve easily been told in an hour and a half.Further its neither exciting,sad,funny,deep,dramatic,scary...its NOTHING...again a self celebratory vehicle to show off what cool imagery the SFX crew could pull ouuta their hats,and in between shots of The Twin Towers this movie offers nothing dead dark space...

DJ gives this movie a 2 outta 10...truly awful.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Asia
    What I keep reading from the defenders of 300 and this film is how wonderful an adaptation it is...Im not doubting that at all.

Fact is the vast majority of humankind has never read either soutce material,so if its goal is to appeal to its core followers than perhaps you may enjoy it if you read the series.I did not.Im also not a person going in expecting another X-Men or Spiderman either...disliked those flicks too...in fact "Dark Knight" is about the only comic based movie I really liked.

The bottom line is what took this movie 2 hours and 46 minutes couldve easily been told in an hour and a half.Further its neither exciting,sad,funny,deep,dramatic,scary...its NOTHING...again a self celebratory vehicle to show off what cool imagery the SFX crew could pull ouuta their hats,and in between shots of The Twin Towers this movie offers nothing dead dark space...

DJ gives this movie a 2 outta 10...truly awful.

Yeah your right
    But how many movies of this genre that are made in the U.S are any good anyways?
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy was made by a New Zealander that Hollywood now hates.
    I just think Hollywood is very uncreative and money hungry hence the mediocre films.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary Brother

Yeah your right
    But how many movies of this genre that are made in the U.S are any good anyways?
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy was made by a New Zealander that Hollywood now hates.
    I just think Hollywood is very uncreative and money hungry hence the mediocre films.
    That's cus he made me spend 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back watching a pos movie about an ape in which almost half the movie it seems took place on the stupid ship....

twitter- kmodivxx

Professional Poster

Sigh

I went and saw this and it kicked all sorts of ass. People who liked the source material will like it. People who like darker toned material will probably like it but others may not.

The point of watchmen is it's a deconstruction of superheroes

Dr Manhatten is a Superman type whose sheer level of power means he simply cannot relate to normal humans.

Rorschach is a Batman type but one so obsessed he is totally non functional as anythin else.

The Comedian is Captain America if Cptain America was a tad right of Hitler politically

etc etc

Normally superheroes in films are noble and self sacrificing. In watchmen they are much more like the dysfunctional freaks who do extreme things in the real world.

I undestand how some people will absolutly hate it. Thats their right but the truth is it's got something to say and a lot of films dont.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by alpha2117
    Sigh
    The point of watchmen is it's a deconstruction of superheroes
    thats probably the most you could say about watchmen in the least amount of words....pretty much sums it up. it shows what the world would be like if these ppl actually existed, in real life, and how world history would be affected. that's all. it shouldnt be some flashy bang bang childhood comic dream come true....it goes beyond that.

twitter- kmodivxx

Quote Originally Posted by DianeTV
    I wonder how many people are going to see this thinking "ohh another comic movie" and then think it's crap when it isn't like IronMan or Batman?

Watchmen was pivotal in changing the way comics were written and laid out. It's supposed to be a deconstruction of the superhero genre not just another flashy caped hero story.

I'm curious to know if any of those who hated the movie read the comics.
    nerd

Rookie Poster

I went out and bought the Watchmen graphic novel and read it. It's a great story until the last chapter. The ending kinda throws you, and it seems hurried. However, the great experience is the reading and looking at Dave Gibbon's really detailed scenes - pick them apart, there's a lot of detail in there. Then you realize it's not really about the story, but how the story is told. Of course, if you don't have patience for that kind of thing, you wont like it. So much for the book.

The movie almost seems overhyped, with a lot of viral marketing websites created for it. Certainly a lush production for what many will say is a bloated film about an obscure graphic novel that only sees the light of day at ComiCon. If you decide to go see the movie, I'd say the biggest enjoyment will probably be the actual experience of having the story told to you...

that's my two cents...

*I will sell my soul for the right girl*

Junior Poster

WELL SINCE SISSY'S ARE HATING ON IT, THEN IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD!!!

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCloset
    WELL SINCE SISSY'S ARE HATING ON IT, THEN IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD!!!

Bitch I wanna put my mouth on your Disco Stick. - The Cum Monster

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Azrial
    Quote Originally Posted by ef9hatchman
    Odelay 300 was bad fucking ass...The thing is Watchmen came out 2 years too early I knew they would bust it the fuck up Marvel allows Directors to screw things up...Maybe to intrigue the children of today but is off the Old school. lol...Other than that you are still entilted to the opinion....O yea Johnny I told you mutherfucker lol.
    what the hell are you talking about? watchmen is a DC comic book, and this movie is one of the most faithful adaptations ever.

as far the OP is concerned, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. but don't think you really "got it" self-indulgence as a theme is prolly number 50 on the list of 100 different topics the graphic novel and subsequently the movie attempt to speak on
    Bah 2 hrs of sleep will make you forget lol. My bad Talking to ruby about Origins etc...