31 40.26%
  • Hypoxia is a humane way for the state to kill

10 12.99%
  • I don't believe in the death penalty, just lock em up for life

36 46.75%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

Americans pride themselves on their human decency and common sense, yet the death penalty contradicts both. The country should reject such senseless cruelty.

-- Jamie Fellner, Human Rights Watch, 12/1/2005

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

Default Re: Death Penalty

Ron White Texas Death Penalty:

George Carlin on The Death Penalty:

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    I believe in the Death Penalty but I don't see a reason to make them suffer. Does anybody know why the Night Stalker, Richard Ramirez, is still alive? He's like the poster boy for the Death Penalty.

Ramirez, of course, died last year.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Ramirez was the poster boy for the Death Penalty as far as evil intent and carnage go. At the time of his death he still had appeals pending. Even if you are against the Death Penalty you can house him with the rest of the convicted felons and allow him to sweat from day to day. Prison is intended to punish those it does not intend to rehabilitate.

Professional Poster francisfkudrow's Avatar

"Though the wise man's punishments may be light, this is not due to his compassion; though his penalties may be severe, this is not because he is cruel; he simply follows the custom appropriate to the time". --Orson Scott Card, Xenocide

Optimally, we would live in a society that didn't feel the need to put people to death for crimes, but we're not there yet. Since the death penalty is the "custom appropriate to the time", we should strive to make sure that the people who get sentenced to death are without any doubt guilty (not just the "reasonable doubt" standard necessary to convict), and that the punishment fits the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by francisfkudrow View Post
    "Though the wise man's punishments may be light, this is not due to his compassion; though his penalties may be severe, this is not because he is cruel; he simply follows the custom appropriate to the time". --Orson Scott Card, Xenocide

Optimally, we would live in a society that didn't feel the need to put people to death for crimes, but we're not there yet. Since the death penalty is the "custom appropriate to the time", we should strive to make sure that the people who get sentenced to death are without any doubt guilty (not just the "reasonable doubt" standard necessary to convict), and that the punishment fits the crime.
    Although it is worth pointing out that the US is the only developed western nation which steadfastly clings to the death penalty as a last resort. Therefore, "the custom appropriate to the time" exists only in the US and in none of the other G7 members, all of which have lower homicide rates.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

But not Russia, where in principle executions are not carried out but where the death penalty remains an option for specific crimes, as is also the case in Israel although it is not a 'developed western nation'....

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    But not Russia, where in principle executions are not carried out but where the death penalty remains an option for specific crimes, as is also the case in Israel although it is not a 'developed western nation'....
    That's why I deliberately chose the G7. Russia is 50 to 100 years from being civilised, whereas Israel, once you step away from their policies towards their neighbours, would arguably tick a lot of the boxes as a functioning democracy in a sea of tyrannies.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Professional Poster

In my honest opinion, it depends on the crime. Here in the UK we render the 'Human Rights' of the sick and twisted higher above the victim him/herself!

Example.... Ian Watkins, abused an 11 month old baby (Among others) and was video'd doing so. Gave his child victims hardcore drugs. Sick twisted fucker!
    Lives the rest of his days in a maximum security prison at the expense of Tax payers.

Bring back the death penalty and let the bastard suffer for days! Resuscitate just as the final breath is drawn! and start the process again!

I just came across this list of Death Penalty crimes...

http://listverse.com/2010/08/01/10-c...-on-death-row/

Vincent Brothers jumped out at me because in his case, get it over with quickly and be done with him..

I believe in an eye for an eye... do onto others etc....

There are so many sick and twisted people on this planet... In the UK we seem to just slap their wrists and reward them by allowing them to live, many reoffend!

I generally hand on heart wish that we had the death penalty in the UK for proven crimes of severity such as rape, murder and especially acts of cruelty and abuse upon children

x Bella