• Hypoxia is a humane way for the state to kill

10 12.99%
  • I don't believe in the death penalty, just lock em up for life

36 46.75%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

5 Star Poster

Default Death Penalty

Should prisoners on death row suffer when given the death penalty, or should they go out 'out of it?'

Execution - Horizon: How To Kill A Human Being

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I would rather see the penalty carried out efficiently, quickly and professionally. I see nothing wrong with an old fashioned firing squad.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Professional Poster

There is an ethical problem with the death penalty:

Mistakes.

There have been numerous people exonerated after being convicted and there will be more in the future. The system is not perfect, and that will aways be a biproduct of a good, but still human, system.

Don't get me wrong, most aren't, and most people convicted earn their punishment, but...

If you are to be for it, you have to accept upon your own conscience that you will have a number of innocent people killed as a consequence.

It might only be a handful of people over time, but it will occur.

So, if you believe in it, you have to believe those innocent deaths are fine, in the grand scheme of things.

I really haven't heard one person who is for the death penalty respond to that statement honestly yet.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I believe in the Death Penalty but I don't see a reason to make them suffer. Does anybody know why the Night Stalker, Richard Ramirez, is still alive? He's like the poster boy for the Death Penalty.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    I would rather see the penalty carried out efficiently, quickly and professionally. I see nothing wrong with an old fashioned firing squad.
    in 1/5

"recently, firing squads have been deemed unreliable by the vietnamese government"

bizarre, maybe the vietnamese firing squads have poor eyesight

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere
    There is an ethical problem with the death penalty:

Mistakes.

There have been numerous people exonerated after being convicted and there will be more in the future. The system is not perfect, and that will aways be a biproduct of a good, but still human, system.

Don't get me wrong, most aren't, and most people convicted earn their punishment, but...

If you are to be for it, you have to accept upon your own conscience that you will have a number of innocent people killed as a consequence.

It might only be a handful of people over time, but it will occur.

So, if you believe in it, you have to believe those innocent deaths are fine, in the grand scheme of things.

I really haven't heard one person who is for the death penalty respond to that statement honestly yet.
    Then allow me to be the first ....and it doesn't have to be that way. There are cases that are way, way beyond a reasonable doubt - where the perpetrator DEFINITELY did it. You can be FOR the death penalty..but agree that the criteria for using it would be way narrower than it might be used for now (instead of not at all)

.......by the way...technically - the guillotine is pretty humane, it just doesn't look that way.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Personally, I'm ambiguous about the death penalty. I answered as I did, because I think regardless of whether the prisoner is innocent or guilty, the penalty should be carried out professionally.

Unfortunately juries don't return degrees of probable guilt. They return a verdict of innocent or guilty. So inevitably innocent people are found guilty and punish for crimes they didn't commit.

Death is irrevocable. But taking away years of freedom is also revocable. It always strikes me as odd, that a nation that claims to revere freedom is so quick to take it away from people as a punishment for crime. I'd rather take twelve lashes than twelve months. I'd rather be put to death and locked up forever. But then parole complicates the whole thing as well, doesn't it?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

5 Star Poster

Everyone should DIE, I'll go first.

In my next house we are going to have the "Armor Room" where I can display my suit of armor. And to go with it I think I'm going to build a simulated electric chair. I mean who do you know who has an electric chair? I was thinking of maybe hooking a stun gun up to it for fun!

LOL,
    TS Jamie

PS - JamesHunt - I like your new avatar...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electric_chairpreview_776.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	228726  

Veteran Poster

Method of the murder is the method of execution!

Or bring back the Old West and lets have public hangings!

Veteran Poster

Better to NOT kill 100 guilty and "just" lock them up for life then kill 1 innocent.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Build a man a fire, he's warm for a day.
    Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.