Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default How is the Recession treating you?

How is the Recession treating you?

Just checking in to see how everyone is getting along now that the Dow has crashed through 7,000 and the S&P is poised for the 600's and unemployment is hitting double digits.

Hugs,
    TS Jamie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recession_down_206.gif 
Views:	726 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	228540  

Junior Poster

401K is down about $35K, the house is worth $25K less, funding at work for next year looks very bad. Thanks for asking. Would you like to use salt next time?

Junior Poster

down 310k in the market my building is down 20% my apartment in the city last year worth 2.1 now worth 1.7 and if i wanted couldnt sell it, business is down everything sucks,

hung greek lover

Professional Poster

Although the Canadian economy has been keeping semi-stable we are starting to feel the pinch. I was laid off last year...fortunately I've been able to do freelance to keep afloat.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Just renewed my contract for next year, whew! Otherwise, my stocks lost two thirds their value over the last seven months (fortunately, I didn't really have a lot invested). A trip to the grocery costs nearly twice as much as it used to. Of course you all know that. At least gasoline is temporarily down from last summer's $4/gal.

I'm consider myself pretty lucky so far (knocking on wood). I know people who lost their jobs and have payments to make on cards, cars and houses.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

5 Star Poster

i cant sell my property for the price i want

live with honour

my 401(k) lost half its value

re-discovering McDonald's value meal choices

Junior Poster

I was more or less forced to take a retirement after 26 years.It was four years earlier than the standard requirement for retiring.At (almost) age 51,I have a Federal Civil Service pension and my home is paid for.I have been and will continue to cut what little debt I have down to zero.Due to the double D's(diabetes and depression).I am going to wait a while,and take a look at some job options.I began life wanting to be a teacher and had close to the college credits needed to graduate when the insane Postal Service called me in.I spent 26 years at a job I hated to various degrees,but I do have a pension and my health benefits.Something to be thankful for these days.
    Here someone can live OK off what I have coming in monthly(about 3,000).I realize that may be a very weak income in other markets.I have became more of a hermit,as I go to the grocery once a week,and I seldom eat out anymore.Like everyone else,trying to save anywhere I can.

Veteran Poster

yep, IRA mutual funds getting hammered..luckily, paid off my house in 10 years and no debt...
    Money set aside for emergencies too but it would be great if my IRA retirement funds will have some value in the future!

Guess I work till I'm 90!

Veteran Poster

I lost "only" a couple thousand $ in stocks/ETFs and I'm _VERY_ glad I invested eavily on gold last summer
    But the whole thing isn't over yet...

Victoria Holyns' Webmaster.