Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I wouldn't vote for a LAW that required one person to listen to another. But here we aren't talking about the law. We're talking about a collection of forums wherein which we communicate with one another. Why obstruct that communication. As a philosophical IDEA, free speech is about the free exchange, communication and mutual development of ideas. It requires listening as well as speaking.

I don't see what the problem is with someone ignoring you, if they choose to ignore you they are the only ones being hurt.
    Here I disagree. If dissent is heard, people’s minds can change, and there remains a chance for discussion to converge on points of agreement and also points of disagreement become clearer. Moreover, if hard questions are heard and answered there is less chance of being misunderstood. Ignoring people with whom you disagree does the entire discussion, and those who participate in it, a disservice.

I do see your point about the inanities that sometimes go on here and how an ignore button might make life more convenient. That’s why I propose the compromise.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

Why would you want to ignore Jen? Love her or hate her, she keeps you coming back for more!

I like the idea of an ignore feature (Though I might rarely use it). It actually =protects= free speech in that those that might find the posts offensive or inane are less likely to push a mod to ban or restrict the user (This is, after all, a private forum and there are limits to one's free speech rights akin to what one might tolerate at a party in one's home).

I tend to steer clear of hot-spot threads and slugfests, so an ignore feature would be something I might not use much. Though, much like Adblock on Firefox, which allows me to blip out offensive, or more accurately 'distasteful' images that I personally find disturbing, an ignore feature could filter out quite a bit of static from the threads.

'Free speech' is the ability for anyone to voice their views and opinions, but it doesn't force another to listen to/read those views and opinions.

The 'Mute' button is my friend.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

"Free speech" is only the enforceable part of "Free exchange of ideas." I would hope that HA attempt to "lubricate," if you will, that free exchange in the Politics & Religion Forum.

In the General Forum, I would like HA to promote the free exchange of ads, addresses, fluids, pictures etc. Here I do see the usefulness of a "blind me" button.

BTW, hi there BeardedOne.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Hi, Trish!

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

5 Star Poster

I'm not really for an ignore button. There are times when it would be nice. But then I think about the other side, which is not seeing what someone has to say.

For one thing I think it would destroy the continuity of some threads.

I think better is the current system where folks who are totally blatantly abusive and unable to control themselves are simply shown the door.

I do occasionally use the Firefox photo blocker feature to ignore the occasional really gross photo or the totally oversize ones that make me have to scroll horizontally to read a thread.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Hugs,
    TS Jamie

Professional Poster

Default Re: Imagine if this place had an ignore button

Quote Originally Posted by dgs925
    I remember back in the day I used to chat on IRC, and if some troll wouldn't shut up all you had to do was type /ignore (insert nick here) and you wouldn't be bothered.

I was just wondering how this place would be different if we had the ability to do that. It probably isn't in the code for the forum so it's not likely to be a reality but I thought it was an interesting thought experiment.

Who would be on your ignore list? Who would be the "most ignored"? Would these people get frustrated that no one was responding to them and just go away or would they reregister with another screen name?

I personally think that if we had this option a lot of the people who don't post here anymore wouldn't have left - in my opinion this place is less interesting now than it used to be. People get tired of being called names like fag or drag queen, and just don't come back.

Since I hate it when people ask questions but don't give their own answers here are a few people I'd ignore: chef, Legend, and (obviously) tsntx.
    Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha.

What a pussy wanker. You must not get out much.

LOL
    LOL

An amature does it till they get it right,
    A professional does it till they can't get it wrong.

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Attached Images Attached Images  

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.