Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Oh look, my two favorite people in a fight. LOL

As a present resident of CA here is my opinion to hopefully get this thread back on track.

1) Obviously nobody wants higher taxes. Obviously everybody wants roads that don't require an M-1 Tank to negotiate the potholes.

But: Here is the background.

This "budget" has been going on for several months. It passed as I understand it with ONE vote. I heard yesterday they had been ganging up on and trying to get one 70+ year old legislator to cave in. When I went to bed I heard "Muldanado" was the expected passing vote. (I don't have confirmation on that.)

My problem is this was done in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT! They convened both houses of the legislature at 11 pm and apparently voted on this around 1 or 2 am.

THIS IS BULLSHIT. I for one am getting tired of our legislatures doing business that cost the rest of us money in the middle of the night. The government of a free nation needs to do business during office hours when the public and media can keep an eye on these crooks for the protection of the People.

CA has the highest State income tax in the country.
    CA has the highest gas tax in the country.
    CA has the highest State sales tax in the country.
    CA has the highest business tax in the western states.

2) This is not just a tax increase. It will increase taxes for every CA family by an average of $1,400 per year. That's over $100 a month. PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD THAT. Not only that but when you factor out the 2 million illegal aliens who don't pay many taxes the burden will increase for the rest.

This tax add 12 cents a gallon to what is already the highest gas prices (and highHest gas tax) in the nation (along with HI and AK which are also high). That will increase our gas to over $2.37 a gallon. (Yes I know Europe pays more - but South Dakota pays less - so let's save that argument for another thread please.)

3) CA is the worlds 6th largest economy in the world (or 8th depending on which index you use). Frankly CA (along with Las Vegas, FL and AZ) CAUSED the whole economic crisis with the mortgage mess that triggered it.c

Someone calculated that the Obama bail out will give each American tax payer $1.87 per day - or about $500 over a year. While the CA tax increase will cost each person $3.80 a day.

When you have the Federal govt. spending Trillions to shore up the economy and CA turning right around and destroying many of the benefits it is non-productive.

4) Part of this tax increase is a "surcharge" on state taxes - or in real english... it is a tax upon a tax. Something specifically outlawed by the Federal Constitution. That I have a serious issue with. I for one am sick and tired of these crooked politicians lying and call a tax a "fee" or some other name. If it adds cost and goes to the government it is a TAX. Period, end of story.

The Junkyard Dog is right.

Times are tough, people need to tighten their belts. BUT - it needs to start with the bloated government and big state worker unions and state pensions that are soaking up our money. The waste needs to stop. I just read today of yet another 8 million dollar botched computer system up Sacramento. The party is over.

And Hatchman is also right. The People of CA are sick and tired of the BS.

Many are leaving. Businesses are leaving. I drive a lot, over 40,000 miles a year. I don't see any new cars on the road. Even in Newport Beach where it used to be all BMW's and MB's with lots of Rolls and Maserati's in between. You don't see new ones. They are all last years model, or 3 years old. When I drive through Dana Point I see about a 15% retail vacancy rate. Every other retail center has a for rent sign. I'm starting to see vacancies in downtown Laguna Beach. Higher end rental properties are sitting vacant for months on end. Nobody has the money for rent. Heck the largest Maserati dealer in the world with (in OC) closed recently and took 30% of Maserati's sales with it.

Obviously not many are going to cry because someone can't buy a Maserati. But my point is we are now seeing the rich tightening their belts. Drastically.

They are the ones paying the most tax. CA is driving them out of the state. It is driving business out of the state.

And this unprecedented tax increase - the largest in state history - could very well affect the rest of the country and the global economic recovery. The outcome I see is CA losing it's position in world trade, and/or slowing the overall recovery.

So, thanks to the "governator" we are all now basically fucked.

Sigh,
    TS Jamie

Hey buddy - can you spare a dime?

5 Star Poster

PS - check this link out and listen to the videos.

Sigh...

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...pc,jwn,tif,zlc

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulZ
    opcorn opcorn
    +1.....2 actually

opcorn opcorn

If you think it's bad now wait until a magnitude 8.0 earthquake shatters a major city (or two). Better relocate NOW.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138
    If you think it's bad now wait until a magnitude 8.0 earthquake shatters a major city (or two). Better relocate NOW.
    LOL - Don't forget fires and mud slides...

Can we move in with you sweetie? We don't eat much. And I clean house in the nude...

LOL,
    TS Jamie

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    Expect a full bitchfest from sir whines alot in chat later on about how much he hates chef because talking behide someone's back is the manly thing to do.
    I'll have to take your word for it, Legend. It certainly wouldn't surprise me. I would've loved to have run into the little sissy when I WAS 17 AND ALREADY SERVING IN THE NAVY.

Smog tech? I hope when Midas lays the little crybaby off that there's still a room available at his mommy's house...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    Expect a full bitchfest from sir whines alot in chat later on about how much he hates chef because talking behide someone's back is the manly thing to do.
    I'll have to take your word for it, Legend. It certainly wouldn't surprise me. I would've loved to have run into the little sissy when I WAS 17 AND ALREADY SERVING IN THE NAVY.

Smog tech? I hope when Midas lays the little crybaby off that there's still a room available at his mommy's house...
    \Hrmph...I concur,Not one of your posts give Positive Addition.....So it turns out the Statebudget threw out the 12 cent per gallon,Smallest cost compared to DOUBLE-Car registration and Sale/Personal tax

9% state sales tax? Wow...Never trust Politicians. Next thing you know, they'll be taxing your food. (Seriously)

...stir it up and pass it around.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ef9hatchman

\Hrmph...I concur,Not one of your posts give Positive Addition....
    And that's moronspeak for what?

What do they teach you calikids in school, anyway?

Macrame?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ef9hatchman

\Hrmph...I concur,Not one of your posts give Positive Addition....
    And that's moronspeak for what?

What do they teach you calikids in school, anyway?

Macrame?
    Your a complete FAIL.Stop adding to this thread your a ignoramous.