Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default Why I have changed my mind about the homeless

Tonight is a night of introspection...

Not counting my driving habits... I think maybe I'm maturing a little bit.

I recently came to the conclusion that it is wrong to look down upon the hard working people who recycle beer cans and other trash. For a long time, like many people, I kind of lumped can recyclers in the same category as bums, since many are both. And that was wrong.

One thing really irks the hell out of me, and that's an able bodied man wearing dirty clothes and stringy long hair, especially one who is younger than I am, bumming money from me on the street.

I've worked my ass off - literally - to get where I am and to earn what I have. When my partner and I were faced with nearly being homeless ourselves a few years ago, we got to work and did what we had to do. These bums, who live on the public dole instead of getting out there and finding or making a job annoy me.

But after chasing a guy out of our condo recycle bin the other day I got to thinking, that there was a man who was actually trying to EARN some money. He might still have had substance problems or been homeless, but by golly he was TRYING. Of course he shouldn't have been trespassing and swiping the condo association cans that they recycle for money too, but he was at least making an effort and not out trying to intimidate people into just giving him money.

Therefore I've decided that when I see the recycle guys on their bikes with their big sacks of tin cans, when the opportunity arises I'm going to give THEM the money I'd otherwise give to beggars. Effort should be rewarded.

Just my slightly profound thought of the evening. My goodness could I be developing... compassion?

----
    TS Jamie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homelessguysl_645.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	224625  

That works.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

Compassion is good, and for those homeless who are honestly trying, absolutely yes, sure. If they are working to make money, absolutely.

I work as a bouncer a few nights a week and see ALOT of homeless ppl. Some are truly down and out but have pride and dignity and are TRYING! At the same time, every summer a new wave of "homeless" comes downtown to panhandle. And 98% of them are kids from outlying small towns in for a summer of kicks. Even had one brag to me about how much he made in one night (over $250.00). And when they say "I need money for food" and you give them a takeout from a NICE restuarant and they throw it in your face, I lose my sympathy. But when winter comes (as cold as -30), we see the real homeless staying on. And those are the ones I collect clothes for, give money and smokes to, and treat with respect and dignity.

5 Star Poster

Yeah, Tao I agree. Your comment jogged a memory of a couple of years ago. Jessica and I had just had dinner at a nice Italian place.

Some homeless guy hit us up for money as we walked down the block to our car. Jessica offered him the remains of her LOBSTER pasta dinner. And the guy turned it down - saying "I don't like lobster."

Sheesh,
    TS Jamie

Absolute luv, if you are TRULY HUNGRY, you will eat damn near anything.

If you're singing for your food, offering to shovel a restaurant patio for food or money, collecting bottles/cans, yes, you are trying. If you're following people around harasssing them for money, nope.

It's hard to know who to help sometimes, but at least helping one person who is worse off than you every day, even in a small way, makes the world a little bit bitter. (Now imagine if everyone did that!)

Junior Poster

Interesting points made here, we don't recycle for money, we do it for free, the garbageman take the recyclable stuff every week

The reality of a lot homeless people it disturb me. But a good point was made here and it's that when we see someone trying to do what they can to survive, it something to admire because no matter how hard they TRYING. So thanks for bring this up Jamie... Something to think of.

"I used to dream, it became a reality. Now the reality it feels like a dream..." You are who you truly believe you are, I am now the one my mirror reflected .

Rookie Poster

People should remember that many homeless persons begging on the street are mentally ill, often refuse to take medication and may also be substance abusers. This includes veterans who risked their lives for us, and have been abandoned by our righteous government leaders. Our social service system has been greatly eroded over the years, starting with that selfish bastard Ronald Reagan and his moral majority supporters. Without a humane social service system, this problem will not get any better. This January over 600,000 lost their jobs. I wonder how many of these will be homeless by this time next year.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

The homeless?
    Fuck'em...feed them to the hungry, solve two problems at once!

(copywright of Billy Connellly)

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Soilent Green is people... We've been eating people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sexyshana
    what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    buy her tits if you would rather she had some.
    BEEP BEEP!