Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Yeah, everyone hates everyone else who's a little different from themselves. It's kind of sad don't you think.

Sigh,
    TS Jamie

PS Danielle, we all LOVE you!

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by scroller
    Another example: Low-class Irish immigrants were infamous for discriminating against Blacks in the 1800's (their nearest competitors for tough working-class jobs). See the book "How the Irish Became White".
    Being of 100% Irish descent. The Fitzgerald's and Murphy's arrived in NYC and Boston between 1858-1878. My ancestors were hated by the W.A.S.P, and the Italians. Being beaten and spit on by various ethnic groups. My family were working class people, who never discriminated against blacks or anyone else for that matter. They also understood that the discrimination they felt was nowhere near as bad as it was for blacks. Because in the end they were still white.

Are there racist Irish?... of course. Not all Irish Americans were racist bigots.

Junior Poster

Fact is, hatred is a choice just like everything else. We are weak when we do wrong. If things weren't such, and we we're inherently conditioned to unconsciencly commit cruel acts, people would commit such drastic acts upon themselves just as often as not. We would be dropping off like fly's in suicides.

It's weak bullshit. Everything you do , you do by choice. It's called responsibilty.

Veteran Poster

Thanks for the info and responses people.

I have the personality and people skills of a retarded home-schooled kid.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fitz207
    Another example: Low-class Irish immigrants were infamous for discriminating against Blacks in the 1800's (their nearest competitors for tough working-class jobs). See the book "How the Irish Became White".
    Being of 100% Irish descent. The Fitzgerald's and Murphy's arrived in NYC and Boston between 1858-1878. My ancestors were hated by the W.A.S.P, and the Italians. Being beaten and spit on by various ethnic groups. My family were working class people, who never discriminated against blacks or anyone else for that matter. They also understood that the discrimination they felt was nowhere near as bad as it was for blacks. Because in the end they were still white.

Are there racist Irish?... of course. Not all Irish Americans were racist bigots.
    I'm Irish too. My great-great-grandfather with the same name was born in Dublin 1825.

That doesn't change the fact that there's a well-documented institutional history of Irish-on-Black discrimination and viloence in the Northeast. Yes, it's painful to read about. No, it doesn't help to flippantly act like it's not a big deal.

In the words of the activist Daniel O'Connell, writing from Ireland in 1843: "Over the broad Atlantic I pour forth my voice, saying, come out of such a land, you Irishmen; or, if you remain, and dare countenance the system of slavery that is supported there, we will recognize you as Irishmen no longer."

Quote Originally Posted by youcancallmeclaire
    I hate this thread for implying that I'm full of hate.
    hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by sexyshana
    what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    buy her tits if you would rather she had some.
    BEEP BEEP!

Professional Poster

I'm Irish too. My great-great-grandfather with the same name was born in Dublin 1825.

That doesn't change the fact that there's a well-documented institutional history of Irish-on-Black discrimination and viloence in the Northeast. Yes, it's painful to read about. No, it doesn't help to flippantly act like it's not a big deal.

In the words of the activist Daniel O'Connell, writing from Ireland in 1843: "Over the broad Atlantic I pour forth my voice, saying, come out of such a land, you Irishmen; or, if you remain, and dare countenance the system of slavery that is supported there, we will recognize you as Irishmen no longer."
    I never denied Irish racism, but i think it's unfair to imply that the Irish were more racist than any other white ethnic group.

Quote Originally Posted by ted naves
    Fact is, hatred is a choice just like everything else. We are weak when we do wrong. If things weren't such, and we we're inherently conditioned to unconsciencly commit cruel acts, people would commit such drastic acts upon themselves just as often as not. We would be dropping off like fly's in suicides.

It's weak bullshit. Everything you do , you do by choice. It's called responsibilty.
    Great points Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sexyshana
    what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    buy her tits if you would rather she had some.
    BEEP BEEP!

Professional Poster

I never denied Irish racism, but i think it's unfair to imply that the Irish were more racist than any other white ethnic group.
    And yet the largest riots in US history were the New York Draft Riots in 1863, largely propelled by working Irish, largely degenerating into violence against free Blacks.

Professional Poster

And yet the largest riots in US history were the New York Draft Riots in 1863, largely propelled by working Irish, largely degenerating into violence against free Blacks.
    I know about the riots, my grandfather told me about this. As a matter of fact his grandparents were on Lexington Avenue during the riots. They were beaten for opposing the riots. Competition for jobs during the Civil War was the main cause of the riots. Irish on Italian and Polish violence took place later that century because of the same thing. There were and still are Irish racist in this country. But a lot of Irish did oppose that riot and were beaten by there own.

But i agree the riots of 1863 was a black stain on the Irish in America.