Thread: Fictionmania?

Default Fictionmania?

What happened to it? Does anyone know if it's ever coming back?

Rookie Poster

I've been wondering too...from one search I did, their server crashed back in November, and they've been promising to get it back up "soon". For a while, you could access their archives, but that's gone now too. I remain hopeful for it's return, but it doesn't look good.

Hopefully it'll come back..if nothing else so it's easier to find new Rachel stories!

From a post at another forum:
    picked this post up at the fictionmania irc
    FMirrorAdmin

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was taken down, likely by the Task Force (they are also the ones who shut down the fmstories.com story database). I am currently still thinking of what to do, but if I launch another site, it will be independent of any fictionmania sites from the start. A lot of data (and 5 days worth of code) was lost, but that should not be that hard to recover from. I am in contact with some people who have an archive of stories.

If anyone knows good hosts or advertisers (hosting the actual stories will use a lot more bandwidth), definitely tell me about them.

That opens up some copyright questions - how do we get the permission of the authors to host the stories? It would be possible to restrict access until the author approves it, but there are thousands of authors, and many have stopped contributing or visiting a long time ago. I think that it would be okay to make the stories available, but make a deletion form that allows authors to remove anything that they do not want to be hosted on the site. Does anyone here know about copyright law? What would you suggest?

Tiffany Anne's Happy Funtime Crossdressing Caption Club
    http://tiffanne2000.tumblr.com/
    http://tiffanyannescaptions.blogspot.com/

I'd be quite happy if they did that. I just like to have my stories read as much as anything. There is one that I posted on fictionmania and nowhere else. I don't know if I'll ever see it again unless they put up their archive somewhere.