Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

As economic fears rise - families on the verge of unraveling. http://www.usatoday.com:80/news/heal...terstitialskip

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

@ Jamie: what are you going to do when Schwartzeneggar declares bankruptcy this weekend?

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

@ Jamie: are you going to accept state issued IOU's as payment for your services? :>)

@ Jamie: are you going to accept state issued IOU's as payment for your services? :>)

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho
    Quote Originally Posted by T Oracle

I'm middle aged and have lived mainly in (UK) cities all my life.
    Sadly, so am i.
    Currently, i live in a sleepy little welsh town where nothing ever happens (on the surface).
    In the past, various cities in the course of work.

I have never, 1st hand, seen or heard knife crime.
    I have never, 1st hand, seen or heard gun crime. News, yes. In person, no.
    I'm curous about what you class as gun-crime, what's your yardstick?
    So far, you seem to be relating it to murder per capita alone.
    Yes, we have fewer murders, but year on year, whether you see it or not, gun-crime is on the increase.

A recent news story (there were plenty of others to choose from)

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/news...l/article.html

And that's turnip-cruncher country fer chrissakes!!!

So which part do you live in? Is it some sort of gun alley? Do you have 1st hand experience of gun crime?
    If you mean, have i seen someone shot, then no.
    My response to the OP was meant to be a little lighter than the OP, as I don't expect anyone to relocate from San Diego to the UK on crime statistics.

My responses to you have been more considered. It was not a case of having a go, nor of belittling. I simply wondered if you had personal experience of gun crime that undermined the national stats. Or if you happened to live in an area where gun crime was more prevalent.

The second link I provided in my references runs something like 'Gun Crime and Murder Rate Down'. So either gun crime is down, or Gordon is cooking the books.

PS. Up for a snowball fight? England V Wales? I live in England but I'm Scots so perhaps that makes it a 3 way? I get the impression that that while you live in Wales you might not be Welsh. What are we we up to?

Two way? Three way? Four way? All in the best possible taste!

New York is getting a little wacky again. A lot little gang kids running around with guns, playing cowboys and indians. Naturally, the little pricks never hit their targets and it's usually the poor schmuck passing by who gets it.

"That's what i thought you said."

Rookie Poster

Mission Valley is full of condo complexes and business complexes that criminals can blend into. Plus, when they steal your car they've got quick access to four freeways. I live in Normal Heights and we've got our share of crime up the hill from you, that's life in the big city.

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138
    LOL No IOU's here baby, we're strictly cash and carry! Though I will accept Rolex watches, diamonds, and BMW's.

As for El Nino's suggestion of moving to Humbolt county, I don't think so sweetie. We were up in Eureka a couple of summers ago and I was chatting with the girl who runs the local sex toy shop. She said the bible thumpers were picketing her business and had actually vandalized the store. I can just imagine what our reception would be.

LOL,
    TS Jamie

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG
    I know a lot of people in Philadelphia who've never actually seen someone get shot to death...
    I had no intention on picking on the good people of Philly.

It's just that I chanced upon an official list of the people murdered in 9 months in Philly some time ago and I thought FUCK that has to be more than the UK.

Stats. UK - population = 60 million. Philly - population = ?

Then I compared murders. And the obvious question comes up.

Why does a city like Philly murder 5 or 6 times more frequently than the entire population of the United Kindom?

For the record. I have visited Philly twice. Did the touristy bit. The touristy bit is very nice. Liberty Bell. How you are all free and equal.

My total time in the US on various visits is close to zero. I reckon 6 weeks max.

Never saw a gun crime. Never saw a knife crime. Never saw a crime of any sort.

OK I have to retract. Various peeps offered to sell me various drugs in central New York, which I'm pretty sure is/was a crime.

But no evidence of violence from my time in the US.

Also for the record. The UK does not allow you to use 'unreasonable violence' against someone who breaks into your home. Here, I prefer the American way of doing things. If some wankstain breaks into your house and threatens to to kill you, it seems perfecly reasonable for me (one) to shoot said fuckers head off

Quote Originally Posted by T Oracle
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahG
    I know a lot of people in Philadelphia who've never actually seen someone get shot to death...
    I had no intention on picking on the good people of Philly.

It's just that I chanced upon an official list of the people murdered in 9 months in Philly some time ago and I thought FUCK that has to be more than the UK.

Stats. UK - population = 60 million. Philly - population = ?

Then I compared murders. And the obvious question comes up.

Why does a city like Philly murder 5 or 6 times more frequently than the entire population of the United Kindom?

For the record. I have visited Philly twice. Did the touristy bit. The touristy bit is very nice. Liberty Bell. How you are all free and equal.

My total time in the US on various visits is close to zero. I reckon 6 weeks max.

Never saw a gun crime. Never saw a knife crime. Never saw a crime of any sort.

OK I have to retract. Various peeps offered to sell me various drugs in central New York, which I'm pretty sure is/was a crime.

But no evidence of violence from my time in the US.

Also for the record. The UK does not allow you to use 'unreasonable violence' against someone who breaks into your home. Here, I prefer the American way of doing things. If some wankstain breaks into your house and threatens to to kill you, it seems perfecly reasonable for me (one) to shoot said fuckers head off
    You misunderstand me, I am not far from Philly and I can attest to how much violent crime that city has had in the last year in terms of cops getting killed (and I've been in that dunken donuts before), murders, shootings etc- but even with it being "as bad and out of control as it is," I don't know anyone who lives in Philly who has actually SEEN that violence first hand.

Does it happen? Absolutely. Is it a problem? Absolutely. But its not common to the point where every single citizen of that city has been a witness of it.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all