Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Poster

Default Letterman apologizes for censoring comic Bill Hicks in 1993

Friday night David Letterman proved that he is a class act, and that the broadcasting industry could profit from his example.

Over 15 years ago, Letterman and his producer at the time, Robert Morton, chose to delete from “The Late Show” a controversial bit by astringent comedian Bill Hicks.

Hicks was scheduled for “The Late Show with David Letterman” on October 1, 1993, it would be his twelfth appearance on the show. However, Hicks’ performance was removed from the pre-taped broadcast, perhaps the only time a comedian’s taped routine had been completely deleted before the broadcast.

Hicks voiced his rage and feelings of betrayal to John Lahr of The New Yorker in a hand-written 39-page letter. Letterman said at the time that he regretted how Hicks was treated, but the comic was never invited back. Hicks later died from pancreatic cancer with his parents at his side on February 26, 1994.

rest of article and video of Hicks' brilliant censored monologue:
    http://www.dailystab.com/david-lette...hicks-in-1993/

I didn't know this was planned for Dave's show Friday and was really pleased when I happened upon it. The dialogue between Dave and Bill Hicks' mother was moving, and the censored bit was Hicks at his best. RIP Bill.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Default Re: Letterman apologizes for censoring comic Bill Hicks in 1

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    Friday night David Letterman proved that he is a class act, and that the broadcasting industry could profit from his example.

Over 15 years ago, Letterman and his producer at the time, Robert Morton, chose to delete from “The Late Show” a controversial bit by astringent comedian Bill Hicks.

Hicks was scheduled for “The Late Show with David Letterman” on October 1, 1993, it would be his twelfth appearance on the show. However, Hicks’ performance was removed from the pre-taped broadcast, perhaps the only time a comedian’s taped routine had been completely deleted before the broadcast.

Hicks voiced his rage and feelings of betrayal to John Lahr of The New Yorker in a hand-written 39-page letter. Letterman said at the time that he regretted how Hicks was treated, but the comic was never invited back. Hicks later died from pancreatic cancer with his parents at his side on February 26, 1994.

rest of article and video of Hicks' brilliant censored monologue:
    http://www.dailystab.com/david-lette...hicks-in-1993/

I didn't know this was planned for Dave's show Friday and was really pleased when I happened upon it. The dialogue between Dave and Bill Hicks' mother was moving, and the censored bit was Hicks at his best. RIP Bill.
    Yeah it only took Letterman 16 years. What a fucking class act. Right. He remains an asshole.

Platinum Poster

Better late than never. Letterman could have just as easily let the matter lie instead of bringing it to light. Most celebrities would have done just that. It wasn't like Letterman had people pressing him to do what he did Friday night. As a longtime Hicks fan I admire Dave for going through with it. Bill's mom accepted his apology after telling Letterman how much the whole thing upset the Hicks family. After watching the bit Letterman said something like: "The fact that I decided not to run the bit says more about me that it does about your son Bill".

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Bill Hicks was the best.
    Remember he got passed over for Comedian of the Year award ... for Carrot Top?

He was slighted through his whole career and dying at 36 (?) was the biggest burn, he would have been awesome during the Bush Years.

Pancreatic cancer at 32. He was a literal genius for sure. Saw right through the fog!

Quote Originally Posted by sexyshana
    what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    buy her tits if you would rather she had some.
    BEEP BEEP!

not all drugs are good.... some of them are great.

- bill hicks

Veteran Poster

Letterman is the brightest and most honest entertainer on television, and in general. However, as I wathed the segment that night I rmember thinking that the material was extremely edgy for his audience, no matter how "hip" Rolling Stone says they are.
    I am not so sure that removing the peice was the wrong thing to do at the time. Dave has suffered a number of times from stalkers and so have many of his friends. I don't know him as homophobic, but I am not sure that that did not enter into it as well. Then again, his producers at the time were not very bright people either.

You know, I just don't find Bill Hicks that funny. Lot more mean than meaningful.

Now, I'm watching it now, rather than then, so maybe in the context of the day, it was indeed powerful and edgy and new, but seeing him now for the first time (and I've in the past gotten clips of him on You Tube), it's just never done much for me.

(I recently watched some Robert Klein DVDs--HBO put out a set of all his specials--I remember thinking they were great when I was a kid (and likely didn't understand half of it) but I found it kinda meh now)...might just be a statement on the nature of comedy.)

Stil, good show on Dave broadcasting this. I think he was a bit too self flagellating over it..acts get cut..it's the nature of the biz, but this was obviously something that had been bugging him.

Tiffany Anne's Happy Funtime Crossdressing Caption Club
    http://tiffanne2000.tumblr.com/
    http://tiffanyannescaptions.blogspot.com/

Well, I'm pleased that Dave Letterman has finally apologised for doing that to Bill all those years ago. That's something, I suppose ...

Bill Hicks was a genius, of course. I came upon him one night on Channel 4 and he just blew my mind completely. I don't think I've ever been quite the same. And I mean that in a good way. He wasn't here nearly long enough, but Bill will never be forgotten by his many fans.

Junior Poster

I used to like Letterman.

The Bill Hicks thing and yes the Sarah Palin thing just shows what an asshole he can be.