Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

The purpose of a contract is not to make an agreement legitimate in any moral sense (as jmt seems to imply) but rather to make explicit the rights and obligations of the involved parties; (e.g. in many states the surviving spouse is obligated to take on the debts of the deceased spouse, just as a spouse has the contracted right to hospital visitations etc.) No one’s asking the state to recognize something different called gay marriage. The state is only being asked to extend the domain of ordinary marriage to apply equally to everybody as it should.

The fact is, the law sometimes exists to protect the rights of the few even after the bigoted have spoken.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by the3ra
    The ONLY thing i wonder about is a child being raised by two dads or two moms.
    the only somewhat sensible argument i can think of against that is that the child will almost certainly be targeted by other kids because of his parents
    but then again by that logic any couple that is likely to produce a kid with shouldnt be allowed to have kids either

Elvis: I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my dick was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife 'cilla and bust it by jackin' off.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Well, cowboys...that explains the Canadian perspective. The interference of wealthy religious groups, in particular, Mormon money explains the recent surprise in California.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Marriage is an institution that is desired by people that like to live in institutions. - Anon

What most people against same-sex marriage don't seem to grasp is the simple concept of property law. This isn't about children and families and procreation as much as it is about earned wealth.

I don't mean to belittle the familial aspects of it, as I know a handful of couples where the parents are gay (Gay male and gay female) that had the desire of a family but lacked the sexual identity to make it so outside of an agreed partnership. To the doubters, the children have proven exceptionally bright, affectionate, open-minded, and (As far as we know to date) 'straight'.

'Civil Unions' is bullshit! It's a lame-ass nod to political correctness that ignores the basic concept of property law and spousal consult. If I was to agree to a 'Civil Union' with another male and then die, my Social Security benefits, pension benefits, etc. would die with me because, in the eyes of state, we were not 'married'. If I had a stroke and wound up on life support, my 'Civil Partner' would have no rights as concerned my care or, if the need came, declination of life support.

Personally, I believe that the whole institution of marriage sucks ass. Anyone that truly wants it is a masochist and should be granted their wish, post haste.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

I agree with the original post and with BeardedOne. We need equal rights for all, and the religious arguments are absurd. However, while I think its ok for some to be militantly pro-gay-marriage, it is also useful to search for "reasonable" arguments that don't offend too much, if possible. I mean, I could argue that religion is BS, thus tearing down their basic premise, but that wouldn't help me politically.

I think the argument is simple: We (in the USA) have secular government and secular courts; religion should play no role. Then it's a matter of fairness under the law. If persons A and B want to get married, why should it matter to person C who is unrelated and perhaps lives far away ? How is it possibly a threat to person C's life in a practical way ? And then you have to weigh person's C's alleged rights in this matter versus the rights of A and B to achieve happiness. Obviously it would be unfair to let person C decide the issue (especially if it is religious-based decision, since the law is secular). The issues with raising children can be proven easily based on available experience.

Professional Poster

I'll make it very simple to everyone:

This is not about anything being "right" or "wrong".

Many people into religion get a kick out of controlling others and telling them what to do.

It's a power trip.

That's what's going on here, and why the reasons are BS.

They really don't care about the reasons or they'd be focused on that aspect of it.

They are manufacturing reasons so they can have their power trip and so that they can control and force everyone who doesn't agree with them to live their lives the way they want them to.

Professional Poster

dp

Professional Poster EyeCumInPiece's Avatar

I see it like this.....

Straight people have made such a mockery of the sanctity of marriage, that we have no right trying to protect its "definition." I personally dont give a fuck who gets married. Whether a man marries a man, woman, or goat, it has no direct connection with my own life, therefore, i dont give a fuck. I think people should lighten up. If 2 people love eachother, they should be married, regardless of their sex, orientation or whatever else.

"I used to say that politics was the second oldest profession, and I have come to know that it bears a gross similarity to the first."
    -Ronald Reagan

Professional Poster francisfkudrow's Avatar

Default Re: Why gay marriage is wrong to SO many.

Quote Originally Posted by photo.boy

"Straight marriages are valid and practical because they produce children."
    This one is the key. My uncle listens to religious talk radio shows, and I remember overhearing this conservative Christian guy say that if a heterosexual married couple uses birth control every time they have sex, their marriage is illegitimate.

According to many in the religious right, the only legitimate purpose for sex--and therefore the only legitimate purpose for marriage--is procreation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    Same sex unions should not be catagorized as being the same as marriage of a man and a woman.for the sole and specific reason that man and woman is the only union capable of producing children

It is not the union of same sex couples that I oppose,it is the catagorization of it together with man/woman union that I oppose.

these are two diiferent types of union ,because no man could ever get together with another man(nor a woman with another woman)and say "let's have children together.It is BIOLOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!

For this reason,and this reason alone,union of man and woman is exclusive and special.

I challenge any of you to prove that you are born from any other union than that!

If you choose to be together and want all the legal ramifications,so be it,but call it what it is.
    The definition of marriage should be changed and then it will stop the " Categorization " of marriage and be call as it is with all the legal rights and obligation you acquire.

Marriage it was created to be a social control institution and create family as a part of the society and be like it is. Do not see anything wrong about two same sex couples having the willingness of being happy and conform part of the society itself.

"I used to dream, it became a reality. Now the reality it feels like a dream..." You are who you truly believe you are, I am now the one my mirror reflected .