Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So im due....

I think a lot of folks are just interested in talking, txting, and getting their voice mails. I don't know if I would even want having a device be a computer, assuming I could even learn how to use all the functions

Junior Poster

Iphone??? I have a G1 just because I didn't want an Iphone!

On AT&T Networks, get an Unlocked Nokia S60 phone, you can do just as much with it as any Iphone and get a bomb camera.

My personal favorite is the Nokia N85 US version. It has the 3G radio in it for AT&T's signal and has 5mp camera with Xenon flash. You can use Skype on it for long distance calls, does 30fps video record and playback, it supports 8GB microSD but 32GB cards are becoming available and I'm sure the phone will read/write too it.

It has a TV out to playback of video, A-GPS and FM transmitter for streaming audio to say rental car or your friends car or anywhere there's an FM radio...

Did I mention it supports N-Gage games???

Its slightly thicker than my G1 and smaller than any of the BB phones but the Kickstart and the Pearl.

That would be my pick on that network, go terminate your contract and get a BB Storm, that's a hot phone, my boy just got his.

Junior Poster

Double Post!

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dj4monie
    Double Post!
    how's that G1 working out for you on the worst 3g network stateside?
    yeah it's true the iPhone's camera SUCKS, but it's a small tradeoff
    the G1 is actually an HTC and you might wanna trade up to the Samsung

they're due out later

the N85 is a cute phone if you're a music/camera person.......
    unfortunately for simplicity and additional programs Nokia is still in the dark ages with the symbian OS and stable as it may be having to slap a few programs on your pc to xfer shit to an N-series phone is annoying

another big plus for Windows Mobile and MacOS via itunes

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

Platinum Poster

upgrade to the verizon network

att sux

I to was an Iphone and Blackberry hater initially. I was a firm Palm user, however with the release of the Iphone 3G I went ahead and picked it up. The only real cmplaints I have are the lack of 'copy&paste', no picture sms (though you can still email pics), and having to buy song from Itunes and then buy it again as ringtone which is only a total of $2 so not too bad. A side note, none of the real smartphones are covered by AT&T insurance, so at least the b.s. Apple warranty is better than nothing. My initial carrier was bought out by Cingular which was in turn bought by AT&T so my plan of $50 unlimited voice and $25 unlimited data&text was grandfathered in thankfully.

I too ride my Suzuki as primary mode of transportation year round and I wear a Joe Rocket jacket that has a MP3 player pocket with slot for headphones so I dont have to worry about losing it. However; when it's nice out and go w/o jacket I wear it on my hip placed closer toward the outside almost near the butt area so when I lean over it doesnt get displaced and no problems with the 3 years I've been doing this.

I do agree that AT&T is far from the best network, traveling from southern Va up through DC/MD and further northern states 3G is quite skechty except around major cities and even in DC the GPS went out here and there. I would recommend Verizon Blackberry Storm as it does look very sweet.

Grooby, Your My Hero!!!

www.tgirlbeauty.com
    www.blacktgirlsluts.com
    www.shemalebondagevideo.com

Positivity is Prosperity, Negativity is 360 and it comes back Eventually!

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody
    I think a lot of folks are just interested in talking, txting, and getting their voice mails. I don't know if I would even want having a device be a computer, assuming I could even learn how to use all the functions
    Well four things are preventing full fuctionallity of my G1 -

1) Lack of A2DP Blutooth support. It was due to be released with the phone but security issues prevented it from shipping with it. Its suppose to be apart of a 1Q firmware update, fingers crossed. I can stream audio from my phone to my car stereo via Bluetooth when this is supported plus get text messages on screen. With California no txt and no talk laws, its important I get all features working with my stereo.

2) Tethering to other devices. It seems TMO to prevent abuse of its 3G network removed this feature from it, maybe it will return.

3) Flash Support for the browser

4) More video codec support

I use it mostly at work (ha!) and with no Wifi available or 3G network its surprisingly fast on EDGE (must be the dual core CPU). I would do more with it and less with the laptop but its hard to type long sentences on, its made for text messages, not posting on forums, but I have paid my bills/bought things online with it.

My Desktop is a Media Center PC, I don't go online with it much. So that leaves the phone and the laptop.

Depending on your desires and needs, basic phones are fine. I have a basic Nokia and its loud speaker phone. I still have my Motorola Rokr E6 Linux phone too.

I'm a closet gadget freak...

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by tsntx
    upgrade to the verizon network

att sux
    Had it before it blows whale cock in my book.
    Verizon Doesnt work as well as at&t in my area.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    Quote Originally Posted by dj4monie
    Double Post!
    how's that G1 working out for you on the worst 3g network stateside?
    yeah it's true the iPhone's camera SUCKS, but it's a small tradeoff
    the G1 is actually an HTC and you might wanna trade up to the Samsung

they're due out later

the N85 is a cute phone if you're a music/camera person.......
    unfortunately for simplicity and additional programs Nokia is still in the dark ages with the symbian OS and stable as it may be having to slap a few programs on your pc to xfer shit to an N-series phone is annoying

another big plus for Windows Mobile and MacOS via itunes
    I like the Samsung, I thought about it. Sadly I pre-ordered the G1 still payed $399 for it, sucks I thought I would get it for $179...

Well since most of TMO's users don't have 3G phones its plenty fast! I forgot what the DSL test speed were but its very comparable to $19.95 DSL you get from most land line carriers.

If AT&T wasn't charging me $90 a month for a phone I used on its EDGE network (Rokr E6), I might have stayed. But I knew TMO was going to open its 3G Network in Los Angeles and I wanted another "Smart" phone. I would have gotten a N85 and dealt with the oddities of Symbian.

I pay $70 a month for 600 min, free nights and weekends and 500 text messages plus unlimited 3G.

I like it actually, Google Maps is blazingly quick. The Browser is fast, if it had Flash support it would be complete. I can use it with Orb, though the details of the web site needs to be worked on. Sometimes it will boot up the video player for an audio file. This is where an "All In One" media player solution would have been better.

Overall I like it alot, battery life isn't that great, but I plug it in at home and at work, no issues.

A co-worker got a Storm and another one got a 3G IPhone recently and I have my G1 and we have compared them. I like my G1 and I would get a Storm before the IPhone, just me.

Professional Poster

I use the Verizon network and most of the phones that they carry are pretty good in my opinion. Every phone has its pros and cons, so you need to figure out what is most important to you when getting a new one. If all you want is the ability to make calls and maybe send a few tsxt messages and mabe download a few songs and use the phone as an mp3 player, most every phone does that these days so any free phone from your provider will do.

If you need other services, then you will have to pay for a phone. I think that the iphone is good if you want a toy that you can connect to your computer and sync with itunes. Personally I dont care for anything from Apple, but they are easy to use and setup. Blackberrys are pretty good too

If you have the need to VPN and sync up with Microsoft mail servers and sync Word docs and spreadsheets and stuff, then you will have to get sometehing with Windows Mobil 6. I have an SMT5800 which does have Windows Mobil 6. It works ok, but as with all things from Microsoft it does lock up from time to time, but I need a micorsoft phone for my job.

An amature does it till they get it right,
    A professional does it till they can't get it wrong.