Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Star
    We've been through this before, search the archives for posts.
    I searched the archives for when I previously posted on the topic, it
    appears as if the search function isn't quite working. However, below
    are previous posts on Transwomen And The Penal System

Do transgender prisoners have a right to be housed in a facility consistent with their gender identity?

Transgender people who have not had genital surgery are generally classified according to their birth sex for purposes of prison housing, regardless of how long they may have lived as a member of the other gender, and regardless of how much other medical treatment they may have undergone - a situation which puts male-to-female transsexual women at great risk of sexual violence. Transsexual people who have had genital surgery are generally classified and housed according to their reassigned sex. One mechanism that is sometimes used to protect transsexual women who are at risk of violence due to being housed in male prisons is to separate them from other prisoners.

This is referred to as "administrative segregation." On the positive side, placing a transgender or transsexual woman in administrative segregation may provide her with greater protection than being housed in the general population. On the negative side, however, administrative segregation also results in exclusion from recreation, educational and occupational opportunities, and associational rights. Such exclusion may violate the constitutional rights of prisoners if the conditions of segregation are excessively harsh. Furthermore, administrative segregation does not protect transgender prisoners from abuse at the hands of guards and may even lead to increased exposure to violence.

What protections are available to transgender prisoners who are victims of violence in prison?

Prison officials are required to protect prisoners from violence at the hands of other prisoners. Prison officials who display a "deliberate indifference" to this duty violate the Eighth Amendment prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment. The U.S. Supreme Court adopted a narrow definition of "deliberate indifference" in the case Farmer v. Brennan, which involved a male-to-female transsexual who was badly beaten and raped by her male cellmate in a maximum security prison. The Court declined to adopt an objective rule that would hold a prison official liable for violence inflicted on a prisoner when the risks are obvious enough that the official "should have known" the prisoner was in danger. Instead, the Court ruled that, to violate the Eighth Amendment, an official must have actual subjective knowledge that the prisoner is at risk of violence and deliberately fail to act on that knowledge.

Do transsexual prisoners have a right to obtain hormone therapy while in prison?

At least one state, Wisconsin, has a law expressly prohibiting the use of government funds to provide hormone therapy or sex reassignment surgery for prisoners. In states that do not explicitly prohibit such treatment, some transsexual prisoners have been able to receive hormone treatment in prison. Many prisons only provide hormone treatment to individuals who had been receiving such treatment before incarceration. However, some prisons consider providing hormones to prisoners who had not received hormones before incarceration on a case-by-case basis. The policy of the U.S. Bureau of Prisons is to provide hormones at the level that was maintained prior to incarceration. Specifically, the policy provides:

Inmates who have undergone treatment for gender identity disorder will be maintained only at the level of change which existed when they were incarcerated in the Bureau. Such inmates will receive thorough medical and mental health evaluations, including the review of all available outside records. The Medical Director will be consulted prior to continuing or implementing such treatment. The Medical Director must approve, in writing, hormone use for the maintenance of secondary sexual characteristics in writing.

The above language suggests that exceptions may be possible in individual cases to allow the initiation of hormones or other treatment where the prisoner had not received such treatment prior to incarceration, so long as the treatment is recommended as medically necessary by prison medical personnel and then approved by the Medical Director.

Even if the prison does provide hormones, however, there is no guarantee that they will be provided at the appropriate levels and with the necessary physical and psychological support services. In addition, it is often difficult for transsexual prisoners to document a prior prescription for hormones, either because of the practical difficulties and limitations imposed by incarceration, or because many transsexual prisoners are indigent and do not have private physicians willing to advocate for them. Moreover, even when transsexual prisoners are able to provide sufficient documentation, prison officials may disregard or flout the policy. A prisoner's access to hormone treatment may also be impeded if a prison psychologist does not believe that the prisoner is transgender.

The issue of whether a transsexual person is entitled to hormone therapy while in prison has been litigated extensively, based on the established constitutional principle that it is a violation of the Eighth Amendment prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment for prison officials to exhibit "deliberate indifference" to a prisoner's "serious medical needs." Until the last several years, in almost every case, courts have ruled in favor of prison officials. More recently, however, prisoners have had more success.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Part Two

Being arrested, has many ramifications. You may be fined, put on probation, parole, continued without a finding, sentenced to house arrest, and many variations on that theme, depending on the jurisdiction, you live in and the court that adjudicated your case.

As regards where you may actually end up if you are placed behind bars.

Depending on the nature of the crime, if it warrants it you will be held in the precinct, sheriffs office, State police barracks, or federal detention center, until you can see a judge, or are deemed worthy of bail.

Once, before the judge you are arraigned formally charged, and then are either released in your own personal recognizance, allowed to post bail, or remanded by the court and held for trial.

Again depending on the severity of the offense, you may end up in:

A county jail, house of corrections to await trial, or to serve your sentence

If convicted you may perhaps end up in a prison (Attica, San Quentin, Joliet, Angola, Walpole, Pelican Bay, Rahwway, just to name a few).

Even within the prison sysstem there are degrees of prison from minimum to maximum security, and even what are known as 'super max' for very severe prisoners and crimes.

Then of course there is the Federal prison system, again mini, med, and maximum.
    Think Martha Stewart versus Al Capone, though prison he was held in Alcatraz is now a tourist attraction.

As a pre op TS/TG woman, you would serve your time in a male prison. For your safety, you would most likely be segregated with other gay, transwoman, prison snitches, and other people who are at risk in the penal environment.

Piss off a guard, and you will very likely end up back in the general population (gen pop) with a very, very bad person as a cell mate.

As a post op woman, you go to a women's prison, period.

However that is not a picnic either, and you may be isolated for your own protection there as well.

Bottom line sweetie, stay the fuck out of jail, you won't like it, IF you survive it.

Also, get better legal counsel, than some clerk that answers the phone at City Hall, and who may or may not have understand your question, or know the answers.

Finally, if a SO, friend, family member, becomes incarcerated, here's a useful site:

Wth a direct link to the GLBT page.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php

Quote Originally Posted by peggygee
    appears as if the search function isn't quite working.

The search function is a joke.It works like a piece of

Quote Originally Posted by elo

AGREED. It is very hard to quickly & easily find what you're looking for with the search engine.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by AmyDaly
    Quote Originally Posted by FISTOFHEAVEN
    SOOO U SAYING IF U GO TO JAIL IN LA MAKE SURE U GROW BREAST GOOD TO KNOW
    What I said was just refering to LA County Jail. Speaking from experience here
    Well that sucks, hopefully you werent there too long

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG
    Quote Originally Posted by elo

AGREED. It is very hard to quickly & easily find what you're looking for with the search engine.
    Alternetively you can use google.
    Type in what you are looking for and then the ha link in qoutes

what i look for "www.hungangels.com/board/"

http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=38657
    http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=290447

Junior Poster

If you pass and have had surgery, you will goto the womens prison. If you have not had surgery, you get to goto solitary in the men's prison. LA County has a gay section and a subsection for trans people.

If I was to goto jail, I would end up either in solitary or with the other trans people in la county mens prison.
    i would bake you a cake with a file in it.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by voy4her
    If you pass and have had surgery, you will goto the womens prison. If you have not had surgery, you get to goto solitary in the men's prison. LA County has a gay section and a subsection for trans people.

If I was to goto jail, I would end up either in solitary or with the other trans people in la county mens prison.
    i would bake you a cake with a file in it.
    I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard. (Cook Country Jail being "fun".

Prison or even local lock up is not "fun" and it is that kind of talk that leads young people to think that doing any sort of crime, even small offences is no big deal, since jail time is a cake walk.

Guess if one is used to living on the streets, or in a rat infested hovel, and or does not have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, then being locked up might seem like a spa vacation, but for the rest of us it is a horrible thought.

For one thing you are stripped of your liberty. You go where you are told to go, do what you are told to do. Privacy is totally gone, usually even when one uses the toilet. It is not a sorority or college dorm where you can have your room-mate changed because you two don't get along. And pity your poor soul who thinks they can go in there and complain, whine or otherwise "demand" better treatment or their "rights".

Geeze...I don't think he meant it was fun. A cake with a file in it is an old cliche of people trying to break others out of prison.

Junior Poster

As for being with other trannies in jail/prison, you might want to be careful of what one wishes for.

It isn't like all trannies, like all women are the same. And there probably are many women who would rather take their chances in a male company than being locked up with females, same for trannies.

Have seen some really bad customer street trannies down in the West Village, and am here to tell you would rather be a lumber camp toy than risk being locked up with any of them for an extended period of time. *LOL*