Page 443 of 458 FirstFirst ... 343393433438439440441442443444445446447448453 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 4578
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

The Woman in the Window (Joe Wright, 2021)

My advice: mind your own business. Draw the curtains, get laid, read a book, write a book, go for a walk, feed the cat. Or watch Hitchcock’s superior version, or a film with the same name directed by Fritz Lang in 1944. But for a woman of 60, Julianne Moore looks good in tight jeans. Saw it via friend’s Netflix account so it cost me nothing.

Veteran Poster

The Birds
    Alfred Hitchcock 1963

The Judge (David Dobkin, 2014)

Father. Son. Conflict. Resolution. Justice.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The Woman in the Window (Joe Wright, 2021)

My advice: mind your own business. Draw the curtains, get laid, read a book, write a book, go for a walk, feed the cat. Or watch Hitchcock’s superior version, or a film with the same name directed by Fritz Lang in 1944. But for a woman of 60, Julianne Moore looks good in tight jeans. Saw it via friend’s Netflix account so it cost me nothing.
    The author of the book this was based on is a fabulist of amazing proportions. There's a New Yorker article on it and he basically became a literary agent through carefully concocted autobiographical lies and then cobbled together a book based on every well worn trope of the suspense/psychological thriller genre. The value of the movie took a major hit when this was revealed. On that basis I have trouble motivating myself to watch it.

I am happy with myself that I read his book on a recommendation and I'm pretty sure I recognized it as crap before he was exposed as a charlatan.

Edit: It's an incredibly long read and I know it involves an author so it could be in the book thread, but anyhow everyone I recommended this article do found it amusing and kind of scary. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-of-deceptions

Last edited by broncofan; 05-26-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks Broncofan, for sparing me the ordeal of the book of the film...

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    The author of the book this was based on is a fabulist of amazing proportions. There's a New Yorker article on it and he basically became a literary agent through carefully concocted autobiographical lies and then cobbled together a book based on every well worn trope of the suspense/psychological thriller genre. The value of the movie took a major hit when this was revealed. On that basis I have trouble motivating myself to watch it.

I am happy with myself that I read his book on a recommendation and I'm pretty sure I recognized it as crap before he was exposed as a charlatan.

Edit: It's an incredibly long read and I know it involves an author so it could be in the book thread, but anyhow everyone I recommended this article do found it amusing and kind of scary. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-of-deceptions
    Wow! Interesting article

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The Mule (Clint Eastwood, 2018 )

IMDB estimates the budget for this film at $50m, most of which must have gone on the salaries for the cast, as I doubt Eastwood spent much on the script. Ordinary Americans, 'badass' Mexicans, drugs, lovely ladies in underwear who don't mind a threesome with an 80-something when someone else is paying - so there may be hope for those of us closer to 80 than 20. It may be a true story, but this is a 'chamber work' that is filming by numbers, with the Polka band the highlight. In the end, it's more ass than mule.
    Hey Stavros ,I love your kick ass little reviews! However I'm in such dire straits to find something to watch recently that I think I'll try "The Mule" because I'm an Eastwood fan and I'm closer to 80 than 20,LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Hey Stavros ,I love your kick ass little reviews! However I'm in such dire straits to find something to watch recently that I think I'll try "The Mule" because I'm an Eastwood fan and I'm closer to 80 than 20,LOL.
    Oh God! That was awful ,what a slog, I couldn't even finish watching it.
    Makes me wonder how and why usually dependable actors and directors get involved in projects like this!?

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Oh God! That was awful ,what a slog, I couldn't even finish watching it.
    Makes me wonder how and why usually dependable actors and directors get involved in projects like this!?
    I hope it didn't cost much to see it!

Ryan's Daughter (David Lean, 1970)

I had never seen this before. It is one of Lean's most beautiful films, as his painter's eye relishes the landscape of the Dingle peninsula in Kerry, South-West Ireland. A frankly rather boring love story is set against the tensions created by the Easter Rising, and a shipment of arms -presumably to the Irish Republican Broherhood. A local girl -Rosy, daughter of Ryan, owner of the local pub- seeks excitement and sexual liberation with a shell-shocked British officer. A German suppy of weapons, rescued during a terrific storm sequence (actually filmed outside Cape Town because there were no effective storms in Dingle) is intercepted the next day following a tip-off. Rosy 'comes a cropper' and with her husband, a passive, almost poetic Robert Mitchum (who did not get on well with tyrant Lean and became famous for his exploration of booze, broads and pot) leave for Dublin.

It is a tepid film, but the photography is superb, but strictly for lovers of Lean.