Page 428 of 458 FirstFirst ... 328378418423424425426427428429430431432433438 ... LastLast
Results 4,271 to 4,280 of 4576
    Terribly Mysterious Veteran Poster Nick Danger's Avatar

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    Personally I can't stand his music, find his squeaky voice incredibly irritating and could never understand his appeal. I've held that opinion long before any untoward allegations were made against him.

I get that many people liked and enjoyed his music. I don't get the fanaticism, undying loyalty and refusal to accept that he may have done something wrong, that surrounds him.
    I was a senior in high school when Thriller came out. And I was a rocker back then, so were all my friends, and it was out of the question for anyone in my crew to be a Michael Jackson fan. It would be...embarrassing. To even have a pop album in your collection.

But that didn't matter in 1982, and 1983, and beyond, because you were going to hear Thriller anyway. You were going to see every song in heavy rotation on MTV and you were going to hear it in "A" rotation on multiple radio formats, and you were going to read about it in music magazines and newspapers and see it on the Billboard charts for YEARS. And you were going to get burned out on every single goddamn Michael Jackson mega-hit on that accursed album, even though it wasn't in your music collection at all.

But to this day, when I hear one of those songs, which still happens often, I still recognize the genius of it. It still sounds fresh and inimitable all these decades later, even if it doesn't exactly suit my tastes. It really is some amazing music. And I remember all those fantastic dance moves from the videos. And I still can't deny the amazing talent of Michael Jackson, even though I still think it would be extremely uncool to have any of his albums.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    We are number one. All others are number two or lower.

Gold Poster

I like a lot of his songs Nick. I don't think it has a bearing on any of the other stuff we're talking about. But I have Dirty Diana, Billy Jean and a few others on my playlist. Not everyone likes him but I think he was an amazing talent.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I like a lot of his songs Nick. I don't think it has a bearing on any of the other stuff we're talking about. But I have Dirty Diana, Billy Jean and a few others on my playlist. Not everyone likes him but I think he was an amazing talent.
    Being fair, this whole discussion has gone off topic.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    Being fair, this whole discussion has gone off topic.
    Yeah what is the topic? I haven't even seen the documentary that is the subject of the conversation....

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
    I was a senior in high school when Thriller came out. And I was a rocker back then, so were all my friends, and it was out of the question for anyone in my crew to be a Michael Jackson fan. It would be...embarrassing. To even have a pop album in your collection.

But that didn't matter in 1982, and 1983, and beyond, because you were going to hear Thriller anyway. You were going to see every song in heavy rotation on MTV and you were going to hear it in "A" rotation on multiple radio formats, and you were going to read about it in music magazines and newspapers and see it on the Billboard charts for YEARS. And you were going to get burned out on every single goddamn Michael Jackson mega-hit on that accursed album, even though it wasn't in your music collection at all.

But to this day, when I hear one of those songs, which still happens often, I still recognize the genius of it. It still sounds fresh and inimitable all these decades later, even if it doesn't exactly suit my tastes. It really is some amazing music. And I remember all those fantastic dance moves from the videos. And I still can't deny the amazing talent of Michael Jackson, even though I still think it would be extremely uncool to have any of his albums.
    Fortunately I missed the Thriller period and first became aware of him when he returned with the Bad album. Never was a record more aptly named...

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Yeah what is the topic? I haven't even seen the documentary that is the subject of the conversation....
    Well the topic is "The Last Movie You Watched." I've seen a couple since Leaving Neverland so I've only strayed slightly off-topic. But it's a big and controversial movie so I don't see anything wrong with having a conversation about it.

Gold Poster

Well the topic is "The Last Movie You Watched." I've seen a couple since Leaving Neverland so I've only strayed slightly off-topic. But it's a big and controversial movie so I don't see anything wrong with having a conversation about it.
    Fair enough. I originally said the quality of his music doesn't have a bearing on the accusations of child abuse because I like his music but think he did terrible things, not because I don't think we should talk about it.

Last edited by broncofan; 03-10-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

[QUOTE=Nick Danger;1877193]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Also, neither Elvis or the Beatles were as big as Michael Jackson, who had the distinct advantage of experiencing his career zenith during the MTV era, thereby becoming the most-recognized celebrity on a planet with twice as many people on it as lived during Elvis' heyday. Michael's music cut across all barriers, musical, racial, and political. And if he wanted a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth and couldn't get it, it probably had a lot to do with the fact that he's an American, or black, or maybe the Queen prefers smooth jazz.
    There's simply no question that more people on planet Earth could tell you who Michael Jackson is than who Elvis Presley is, or who could name even one of the Beatles (there were 4 of them, you know). So no, you're just wrong about that, Stavros, Michael Jackson is quite possibly STILL the most famous person on the planet.
    I have been told, correctly in another thread, not to go 'off topic' so I will end this with a couple of points. Mental Illness is not a well-defined term, and is best not used in Michael Jackson's case, and I note you ignore the difference I have noted between his professional life and his leisure life, neither of which are 'childlike' at all, as the testimony in the film also asserts. As for the Knighthood, honorary Knighthoods to Americans are fairly common, and Jackson seems to have wanted one with a passion when he discovered Steven Spielberg had been endowed with the honour. On this occasion, it seems, Michael Jackson really was being childish and immature.

President of Russia Veteran Poster Vladimir Putin's Avatar

The last three movies I watched:

"A Star Is Born"
    "Searching"
    "Crazy Rich Asians"

[QUOTE=Stavros;1877389]

I have been told, correctly in another thread, not to go 'off topic' so I will end this with a couple of points. Mental Illness is not a well-defined term, and is best not used in Michael Jackson's case, and I note you ignore the difference I have noted between his professional life and his leisure life, neither of which are 'childlike' at all, as the testimony in the film also asserts. As for the Knighthood, honorary Knighthoods to Americans are fairly common, and Jackson seems to have wanted one with a passion when he discovered Steven Spielberg had been endowed with the honour. On this occasion, it seems, Michael Jackson really was being childish and immature.
    Oh yeah well I was told that it was just fine for ME to go off-topic, as long as I don't draw YOU off-topic in the process, Stavros.

A salty leprechaun in a tweed suit told me that.

Also we are not off-topic here. This is a movie thread. We are talking about a movie.

"Off-topic?" Jesus, people on the internet are just like people in the real world - scared to death of The Man. Well, I say what I please, when I please, and where I please. Sometimes I do go off-topic, or say something controversial, and by God any forum moderator who wants to is more than welcome to BAN me from any forum. There are 18 trillion goddamn forums on this internet. Getting banned from 17 trillion of them would give me more time to masturbate and build cars.