Page 421 of 458 FirstFirst ... 321371411416417418419420421422423424425426431 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,210 of 4576
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by hardiron4u View Post
    A Simple Favor

A very interesting movie with unexpected events. Keeps your attention. Worth watching.
    this is the one directed by paul feig? with anna kendrick? I neet to watch this one

Rambo.
    The original from 1982.
    Great great movie!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Alien: Covenant (Ridley Scott,2017)

Ridley Scott is without doubt one of the best directors the UK has produced, but I doubt this garbage will be used to endorse that claim.
    The very first Alien (1979) was well-written, well-acted and well-made, even if it is often remembered for inspiring more oral sex fantasies than film-goers had previously been aware of, courtesy of Sigourney Weaver in her spotlessly clean strip-me-and-lick-me underwear.

As with all the others in this whacked-out 'series', an insect has invaded human space because humans are incubators for its own generation. In reality, to take one example, mosquitoes drill into human flesh and in the process of sucking up our nutritious blood for their meal release thousands of spirochetes that head straight to the liver to thrive, and you don't even need to be a whisky man to send them clues. But they don't breed and burst out of a chest or a back, they just inflict malaria on the poor infected person, most commonly a child.

But, while Prometheus and Covenant pursue the 'origins of life' theory, I wonder if it so much more crude, and that the 'aliens' are stand-ins for immigrants, and that this whole enterprise has played on the 'fear of the other' where the 'other' is not a space alien, but a real person moving into a condo near you very soon. Whatever, the film is garbage, and as I assume Michael Fassbender did it for the money, I assume the nobodies in the rest of the cast were just relieved to get a job, even if they do only have two or three lines. Hell, for that kind of money I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by josehip View Post
    Cont

200 Sierra Burgess Is a Loser 2018 Directed by Ian Samuels 4/5
    201 Sixteen Candles 1984 Directed by John Hughes 3/5
    202 The Breakfast Club 1985 Directed by John Hughes 4/5
    203 Clear and Present Danger 1994 Directed by Phillip Noyce 3/5
    204 Solo: A Star Wars Story 2018 Directed by Ron Howard 5/5
    205 Mission: Impossible - Fallout 2018 Directed by Christopher McQuarrie 5/5
    206 Mission: Impossible 1996 Directed by Brian De Palma 3/5
    206 Sicario: Day of the Soldado 2018 Directed by Stefano Sollima 2/5
    207 Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone 1983 Directed by Lamont Johnson 3/5
    208 Hearts Beat Loud 2018 Directed by Brett Haley 5/5
    209 Mandy 2018 Directed by Panos Cosmatos 3/5
    210 The Fugitive 1993 Directed by Andrew Davis 4/5
    Cont

211 The Meg 2018 Directed by Jon Turteltaub 3/5
    212 A Star Is Born 1937 Directed by William A. Wellman 3/5
    213 A Star Is Born 1954 Directed by George Cukor 5/5
    214 Nappily Ever After 2018 Directed by Haifaa Al-Mansour 4/5
    215 A Star Is Born 1976 Directed by Frank Pierson 5/5

jack reacher - never go back. solid thriller
    (i think the tom cruise size reacher is more believable than the book version. reacher of the novels is a slightly less bronzed and more grizzled version of doc savage. he is the sort of bloke you see and think 'shit he is a bit of a big bloke and i bet he is handy - let's leave him alone. except in the books they don't. at least with tom cruise version you can see why people might want to mess with reacher).

captain america: winter soldier. thoroughly enjoyable. after the first wave of marvel films i stopped watching for a long period and now i am going back to them in no particular order (almost like collecting back issues). knowing what comes next it is interesting to see how they seed some ideas for a movie a few years down the line.
    just wish the chaps in control of dc film properties would steal from marvel films and the bods doing dc tv series - because they are all doing it better than the dc films

both movies linked by cobie smulders.

Silver Poster

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AliciaVikanderRileyKeoughTheEarthquakeBird.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	1098160

earthquake bird is based on a book i still have not read and is scheduled for release next year. got to see it last week thought and was kinda blown away- well- its like a sataoshi kon film done pure (i.e. not anime). really loved the paranoia and the earthquakey stuff-

girl doing translations in .jp hated the japanese dude (supposed to) loved the main girl (i'd fuck her) what else? music was good too. i think they'll change stuff around though.

anyone in san sebastian know of some good 2nd hand book stores? give me a shout!

The Shape of Water (Guillermo del Toro, 2017)

I am not a fan of del Toro's films, and this may be his worst, it doesn't matter. I paid £12 for it on blue ray and it is straight off to the charity shop next time I am in town, someone might like this pathetic fairy tale.

Quote Originally Posted by josehip View Post
    Cont

211 The Meg 2018 Directed by Jon Turteltaub 3/5
    212 A Star Is Born 1937 Directed by William A. Wellman 3/5
    213 A Star Is Born 1954 Directed by George Cukor 5/5
    214 Nappily Ever After 2018 Directed by Haifaa Al-Mansour 4/5
    215 A Star Is Born 1976 Directed by Frank Pierson 5/5
    Cont:

216 The Tree of Life 2011 (Extended Cut) Directed by Terrence Malick 5/5
    217 Eighth Grade 2018 Directed by Bo Burnham 4/5
    218 Skyscraper 2018 Directed by Rawson Thurber 4/5
    219 His Trysting Place 1914 Directed by Charlie Chaplin 4/5
    220 Kubo and the Two Strings 2016 Directed by Travis Knight 4/5
    220 Izzy Gets the F*ck Across Town 2017 Directed by Christian Papierniak 4/5
    221 West Side Story 1961 Directed by Jerome Robbins, Robert Wise 3/5
    222 Wings 1927 Directed by William A. Wellman 5/5

OCTOBER
    223 Ant-Man and the Wasp 2018 Directed by Peyton Reed 4/5
    224 Edgeplay: A Film About The Runaways 2004 Directed by Victory Tischler-Blue 4/5
    225 Prince of Foxes 1949 Directed by Henry King 2/5
    226 Damsel 2018 Directed by David Zellner, Nathan Zellner 5/5
    227 Sorry to Bother You 2018 Directed by Boots Riley 4/5
    228 Crosby Stills Nash & Young - VH1 Legends Documentary 5/5
    229 Union Pacific 1939 Directed by Cecil B. DeMille 4/5
    230 Diary of a Lost Girl 1929 ‘Tagebuch einer Verlorenen’ Directed by G.W. Pabst 5/5
    231 The Spy Who Dumped Me 2018 Directed by Susanna Fogel 4/5
    232 Skyscraper 2018 Directed by Rawson Thurber 4/5
    233 The Night Comes For Us 2018 Directed by Timo Tjahjanto 5/5
    234 The Night Comes for Us 2018 Directed by Timo Tjahjanto 5/5

zombies.
    not very good, but does have an ending much like 'the mist' which gets them some kudos.

A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper, 2019)

This is a tepid remake of a remake of a remake...I had heard of Lady Gaga before this but had never heard her sing, which as far as it goes is standard pop, the songs being pretty monotonous if also monotonously pretty, and her acting is sound as is that of Cooper. There are some unusually long takes for a film of this kind, so credit to Cooper for being brave with that, and also not loading the soundtrack with background music.

The problem is that the relationship between Jack and Ally does not follow the trajectory that was in the original, in which the capable manager who discovers raw talent becomes ever more possessive and jealous as his protege grows in popularity, attempting to transfer his self-destructive behaviour in a vindictive manner to her -forcing her to break free of his malign influence on her career.

In this film, Jakson is just another drink and drugs rock singer though he does't have an entourage that helps fuel his binges, just as he doesn't have any groupies in tow which is what we assume that kind of lifestyle to include. It means the central dynamic of the relationship lacks tension, confrontation, rage and violence, indeed Ally continues to love her man through to the end, with his own destruction to my mind lacking credibility. The film is also at least 20 minutes if not half an hour too long, but it is an ok experience otherwise, I would rate it 6/10. At least having heard Lady Gaga sing, I can ignore that part of her career for the rest of my life.