Page 417 of 458 FirstFirst ... 317367407412413414415416417418419420421422427 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,170 of 4578
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (Christopher McQuarrie, 201

Another superb action movie which, though it has flaws, is one of the longest so far in the MI franchise, even if it has a scenario -Ethan Hunt and the team must save the world from nuclear fallout- that has been done before. The obvious difference with James Bond is that Bond is too much of a wanker to even attempt the stunts Tom Cruise does (but then the Bond films these days only appeal to wankers so they are all in good company), and they are as usual well done with one great shot on a rooftop in London, and though some of the scenes were filmed in the Nubra Valley in Jammu and Kashmir, the astonishing helicopter scenes were filmed in Norway.
    The main flaw in the film is Henry Cavill, who can't decide if he is American or Irish, so atrocious is his acting, so hopeless his attempts at accents. He was born in the Channel Islands where his father was a stockbroker. Perhaps he can return to Jersey and retire on the money he has made as a so-called 'actor' and give someone else with talent a chance to make movies. He is a waste of space.
    I know one can only go so far with action films, but when you think of the dross that has been dished up in the past by Schwarzenegger, Stallone and the utterly absurd Seagal, you can be lucky to be alive to see the Jason Statham portfolio expose what infantile cowards those aforementioned were, and add Ethan Hunt to the brigade of dazzling film heroes, even if we don't really need them.
    i'm dying to watch this one. saddly here on my city (in brazil) the movie is playing ONLY in dubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by josehip View Post
    cont

151 The Fifth Element 1997 Directed by Luc Besson 3/5
    152 Metropolis 1927 Directed by Fritz Lang 5/5
    153 The Last Airbender 2010 Directed by M. Night Shyamalan 2/5
    154 Gattaca 1997 Directed by Andrew Niccol 1/5
    155 Frau Im Mond 1927 Directed by Fritz Lang 4/5
    156 Minority Report 2002 Directed by Steven Spielberg 4/5
    157 Eyes Wide Shut 1999 Directed by Stanley Kubrick 2/5
    158 ‎Destiny 1921 Directed by Fritz Lang 4/5
    159 Shockproof 1949 Directed by Douglas Sirk 4/5
    160 Charley Varrick 1973 Directed by Don Siegel 2/5
    161 The Friends of Eddie Coyle 1973 Directed by Peter Yates 2/5

AUGUST
    162 Avengers: Infinity War 2018 Directed by Joe Russo, Anthony Russo 4/5
    164 He Did and He Didn’t 1916 Directed by Roscoe ‘Fatty’ Arbuckle 2/5
    165 Wished on Mabel 1915 Directed by Mabel Normand 3/5
    166 Hannah Gadsby: Nanette 2018 Directed by Madeleine Parry, Jon Olb 5/5
    167 Princess Mononoke 1997 ‘もののけ姫’ Directed by Hayao Miyazaki 4/5
    168 Star Wars: The Last Jedi 2017 Directed by Rian Johnson 5/5
    169 Star Wars: The Force Awakens 2015 Directed by J.J. Abrams 5/5
    CONT
    170 Deadpool 2 2018 Directed by David Leitch 2/5
    171 Laerte-se 2017 Directed by Lygia Barbosa da Silva, Eliane Brum
    172 Pitch Perfect 3 2017 Directed by Trish Sie 3/5
    173 Gemini 2017 Directed by Aaron Katz 3/5
    174 Tom Papa: Live in New York City 2011 Directed by Rob Zombie 4/5
    175 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 2016 Directed by Gareth Edwards 5/5
    176 Point Break 1991 Directed by Kathryn Bigelow 4/5

Mission Impossible: Fallout (Christopher McQuarrie, 201

Another superb action movie which, though it has flaws, is one of the longest so far in the MI franchise, even if it has a scenario -Ethan Hunt and the team must save the world from nuclear fallout- that has been done before. The obvious difference with James Bond is that Bond is too much of a wanker to even attempt the stunts Tom Cruise does (but then the Bond films these days only appeal to wankers so they are all in good company), and they are as usual well done with one great shot on a rooftop in London, and though some of the scenes were filmed in the Nubra Valley in Jammu and Kashmir, the astonishing helicopter scenes were filmed in Norway.
    The main flaw in the film is Henry Cavill, who can't decide if he is American or Irish, so atrocious is his acting, so hopeless his attempts at accents. He was born in the Channel Islands where his father was a stockbroker. Perhaps he can return to Jersey and retire on the money he has made as a so-called 'actor' and give someone else with talent a chance to make movies. He is a waste of space.
    I know one can only go so far with action films, but when you think of the dross that has been dished up in the past by Schwarzenegger, Stallone and the utterly absurd Seagal, you can be lucky to be alive to see the Jason Statham portfolio expose what infantile cowards those aforementioned were, and add Ethan Hunt to the brigade of dazzling film heroes, even if we don't really need them.
    you might be right about the later fat period of seagal. however his earliest and moving into beginning podgy phase are good low to mid budget action films.

kill ratio - a low budget actioner in which fledging east european democracy is saved by a special operative posing as an events consultant (or something like that). has a great little 'freedom' speech. oddly a mostly british/irish cast and director.
    dumb fun.

legend of the fist - return of chen zen. donnie yen reprises the role he played in the tv series based on the bruce lee movie 'fist of fury'. chen zen has returned from world war 1 france and is once again in a struggle against the japanese. not as action packed as i would have wanted (the opening stunts do put to shame many of the superhero movies), it looks lush. all in all a decent movie.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by slave2u View Post
    you might be right about the later fat period of seagal. however his earliest and moving into beginning podgy phase are good low to mid budget action films.
    Sorry mate , I can't share your enthusiasm for the earlier Seagal, largely because of the absence of any plot worth following, and the lack of any depth of character in the man himself, who in reality was good at Aikido and a trainer with no acting experience before he made his first film, rather like Schwarzenegger, another embarrassment without riches as far as films go. Mission Impossible succeeds because it creates tension around time-related events which must be met to push the narrative along. And, while there is a degree of violence it most often functions to close a chapter rather than to make a point, like the fascist garbage Hollywood tends to present where democracy and the rule of law are cast as feeble and useless with the gun the key factor in the resolution of disputes. No humanity would be shown in such films as happens with the wounded policewoman in MI: Fallout. Also, compared to the womanising lush that Bond is, Ethan Hunt rarely engages his female companions/enemies in a sexual way, and does not drink for pleasure, if at all. Indeed, the weakest MI, the second in the franchise, has precisely the sexual component the series does not need or benefit from, even if the sexual element does not concern Hunt but the villain, played by the truly dismal pseudo-actor Dougray Scott.

The question must be, what makes a good action movie? I can accept an unrealistic plot -typically a megalomaniac wants to destroy something, be it a country or the whole world- but what it needs is characters with enough depth to be believed in, on both sides, and for the action to look good in cinematic terms involving complex movement set in a framework of tension-release. The classic car chases in Walter Hill's Driver (197 substitute cars for people -the people have no names in the film- just as the chases in Bullit (196 and The French Connection (1971) have become the template for all others, with only the Jason Bourne films and Transporter films coming close to their dexterity if not always their excitement. Indeed, it is precisely the tedious predictability of car chases in the Bond films and most other action films that renders them also-rans in the catalogue, just as the need for female nudity in the Bond films and the Seagal catalogue pits them at the level of American Pie for grown-up wankers. I suggest the absence of sex and nudity in the MI franchise, which may or may not have something to do with Tom Cruise, is part of its wide appeal.

Sorry mate , I can't share your enthusiasm for the earlier Seagal, largely because of the absence of any plot worth following, and the lack of any depth of character in the man himself, who in reality was good at Aikido and a trainer with no acting experience before he made his first film, rather like Schwarzenegger, another embarrassment without riches as far as films go. Mission Impossible succeeds because it creates tension around time-related events which must be met to push the narrative along. And, while there is a degree of violence it most often functions to close a chapter rather than to make a point, like the fascist garbage Hollywood tends to present where democracy and the rule of law are cast as feeble and useless with the gun the key factor in the resolution of disputes. No humanity would be shown in such films as happens with the wounded policewoman in MI: Fallout. Also, compared to the womanising lush that Bond is, Ethan Hunt rarely engages his female companions/enemies in a sexual way, and does not drink for pleasure, if at all. Indeed, the weakest MI, the second in the franchise, has precisely the sexual component the series does not need or benefit from, even if the sexual element does not concern Hunt but the villain, played by the truly dismal pseudo-actor Dougray Scott.

The question must be, what makes a good action movie? I can accept an unrealistic plot -typically a megalomaniac wants to destroy something, be it a country or the whole world- but what it needs is characters with enough depth to be believed in, on both sides, and for the action to look good in cinematic terms involving complex movement set in a framework of tension-release. The classic car chases in Walter Hill's Driver (197 substitute cars for people -the people have no names in the film- just as the chases in Bullit (196 and The French Connection (1971) have become the template for all others, with only the Jason Bourne films and Transporter films coming close to their dexterity if not always their excitement. Indeed, it is precisely the tedious predictability of car chases in the Bond films and most other action films that renders them also-rans in the catalogue, just as the need for female nudity in the Bond films and the Seagal catalogue pits them at the level of American Pie for grown-up wankers. I suggest the absence of sex and nudity in the MI franchise, which may or may not have something to do with Tom Cruise, is part of its wide appeal.
    we'll have to agree to disagree.
    though i am curious about the female nudity in seagal films as aside from background tittilation shots in club scenes i am struggling to remember any significant nudity in them. (though in black dawn - the seagal movie i watched today - there is a male bum on display). my recollection of his characters in films is either of a family man or as someone trying to be a white knight.

you could be right about mission impossible's appeal - though i would argue more to do with cruise and the set pieces. but that also got me thinking about cruise and women in his action movies and they do seem to be very sexless. so you are probably onto something.
    however that does also mean that you can argue that part of the wide appeal of bond is the promise of sex and nudity - even if it is very revealing.

black dawn - seagal thwarts a terrorist attack that he sort of sets up in the first place. ah teh murky world of the cia at work again.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by slave2u View Post
    we'll have to agree to disagree.
    though i am curious about the female nudity in seagal films as aside from background tittilation shots in club scenes i am struggling to remember any significant nudity in them. (though in black dawn - the seagal movie i watched today - there is a male bum on display). my recollection of his characters in films is either of a family man or as someone trying to be a white knight.
    There is a later Seagal film in which a secret code or something like that is written in ink or tattooed on a woman's breasts, but there is also a Ladyboy in that film and I can't remember if it is the same character. I am not sure he actually has sex with women in his films but there is more flesh in them than the MI series. Apparently Cruise is a complete control freak, I have read an account -no idea of its veracity- of a relationship he tried to developed with an actress who was either in Homeland or The Americans, and I think 'selected' for him by some psychos in his Scientology 'church' and it is scary. But he is at least an actor, whereas Seagal is just in reality a martial arts instructor who got lucky. I just need more depth in films, even action ones.

after enjoying star wars: the last jedi (and i am still unsure quite why the fanboys were so upset by it) i decided to go back to several of my secret movie pleasures: bad movies and silly shark movies, so step up to the plate 'shark exorcist'. it runs 'waspnado' as the worst film i have watched this year.

Quote Originally Posted by josehip View Post
    CONT
    170 Deadpool 2 2018 Directed by David Leitch 2/5
    171 Laerte-se 2017 Directed by Lygia Barbosa da Silva, Eliane Brum
    172 Pitch Perfect 3 2017 Directed by Trish Sie 3/5
    173 Gemini 2017 Directed by Aaron Katz 3/5
    174 Tom Papa: Live in New York City 2011 Directed by Rob Zombie 4/5
    175 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 2016 Directed by Gareth Edwards 5/5
    176 Point Break 1991 Directed by Kathryn Bigelow 4/5
    cont
    177 Near Dark 1987 Directed by Kathryn Bigelow 2/5
    178 The Rider 2017 Directed by Chloé Zhao 5/5