Page 412 of 458 FirstFirst ... 312362402407408409410411412413414415416417422 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 4576
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

'god of war' (2017) starring wehzhou zhao

Quote Originally Posted by slave2u View Post
    he acts in more movies than he is given credit for.
    True. People say same thing about Bogart as well. (in both cases they are 100% wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by josehip View Post
    Cont

88 Molly's Game 2017 Aaron Sorkin 3/5
    89 The Dark Mirror 1946 Robert Siodmak 5/5
    90 He Walked by Night 1948 Directed by Alfred L. Werker, Anthony Mann 3/5
    91 My Name Is Julia Ross 1945 Directed by Joseph H. Lewis 3/5
    92 A Stolen Life 1946 Directed by Curtis Bernhardt 4/5

APRIL
    93 Kansas City Confidential 1952 Directed by Phil Karlson 4/5
    94 Ride the Pink Horse 1947 Directed by Robert Montgomery 3/5
    95 Farewell, My Lovely 1975 Directed by Dick Richards 5/5
    96 Murder, My Sweet 1944 Directed by Edward Dmytry 5/5
    97 In This Our Life 1942 Directed by John Huston 5/5
    98 Rings on Her Fingers 1942 Directed by Rouben Mamoulian 4/5
    99 On the Riviera 1951 Directed by Walter Lang 4/5
    100 The Post 2017 Directed by Steven Spielberg 3/5
    101 The Joyless Street 1925 ‘Die freudlose Gasse’ Directed by Georg Wilhelm Pabst 5/5
    102 Sweet Bird of Youth 1962 Directed by Richard Brooks 5/5
    103 Baby Doll 1956 Directed by Elia Kazan 5/5
    104 The Night of the Iguana 1964 Directed by John Huston 4/5
    105 Reflections in a Golden Eye 1967 Directed by John Huston 3/5
    106 A Bullet for Joey 1955 Directed by Lewis Allen 3/5
    107 You Were Never Really Here 2017 Directed by Lynne Ramsay 5/5
    108 Hostiles 2017 Directed by Scott Cooper 5/5
    109 China 9, Liberty 37 1978 ‘Amore, piombo e furore’ Directed by Monte Hellman 5/5
    110 The Wild One 1953 Directed by László Benedek 3/5
    cont
    111 From the Terrace 1960 Directed by Mark Robson 5/5
    112 Batman Ninja 2018 Directed by Junpei Mizusaki 4/5
    113 Dirty Computer 2018 Directed by Andrew Donoho, Chuck Lightning 5/5

marine 5: battleground.
    the miz in die hard in a fun fair car park. about as good as it sounds. shame as the miz is a decent enough actor and actioner.

Quote Originally Posted by josehip View Post
    cont
    111 From the Terrace 1960 Directed by Mark Robson 5/5
    112 Batman Ninja 2018 Directed by Junpei Mizusaki 4/5
    113 Dirty Computer 2018 Directed by Andrew Donoho, Chuck Lightning 5/5
    cont

114 The Crowd Roars 1932 Directed by Howard Hawks 4/5
    115 Coroner Creek 1948 Directed by Ray Enright 4/5

May
    116 The Lawless Breed, 1953 Directed by Raoul Walsh 4/5
    117 Black Panther 2018 Directed by Ryan Coogler 3/5
    118 ManHunt 2017 ‘追捕’ Directed by John Woo 3/5
    119 Westworld 1973 Directed by Michael Crichton 2/5
    120 Seminole 1953 Directed by Budd Boetticher 4/5

national treasure 2 - which is pretty much the same as national treasure, but with added helen mirren.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Slow West (John Maclean, 2015)

I had not heard of this western before seeing it on Film 4 last night. It is beautiful to look at, but like most 1870 westerns based on the hunting/search/redemption theme combines cliches with plot holes. The gang that is following the two lead characters -one is a bounty hunter the other a young immigrant from Scotland searching for his childhood sweetheart- has a charismatic leader but as in most westerns the rest of the gang are thick as two short planks and not very good with guns, even though that is the the only reason they live. The two leads travel for days with the same horses that never seem to eat or drink, yet the horses live. For once the log cabin in the wild is bright and airy -unlike the grim timber style one normally sees- and its builder, and dad to the sweetheart, Rory McCann ('The Hound' in Game of Thrones) for once doesn't have a plate full of chickens...

A pleasant film to sit through, but there is not so much a moral punch at the end as a gentle slap on the wrist.

Professional Poster Extraordinaire Professional Poster Cereal Escapist's Avatar

Just watched Swiss Army Man again since my wife had not seen it yet.

-----
    ...on the matter of my lust, it appears clothes maketh woman!!!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (John Cassavetes, 1976)

I had not seen this film since the early 80s and bought the set which has the original, longer version so I was seeing this for the first time. Cassavetes was making films in the style of Godard before Godard, and doing it better too, lacking the pretentiousness of the latter. His realist style of film-making, hand-held cameras, long takes, appearance of improvised dialogue, no conventional narrative meant his films were never going to appeal to the majority of film goers, but with some exceptions his films are innovative and I suspect too many American directors don't have the courage Cassavetes had. In this film, which actually has a story -night-club owner has to pay off a gambling debt to the mob by killing a Chinese bookie- all the usual Cassavetes tactics are there but a lot of the film was actually rehearsed and written down. It is actually in a way an amateurish even tacky attempt at melodrama, only the story line itself is just a maguffin for Cassavetes to comment on his own relationship to film: the films he gambles on paid for by appearing in other people's films (Rosemary's Baby, for example) who then arrange to have him bumped off -ie, ignored. A cynical attitude maybe, but it is ironic that he originally developed the idea for the film with Martin Scorsese who was significantly more successful and richer from the films he made.
    One oddity in the commentary by producer Al Ruban (who also acts the character Marty at the start of the film) is that Ruban claims the black actress in the film (Azizi Johari -a professional actor as the other girls in the film were strippers in LA night-clubs), was married to Robert de Niro at the time, whereas I see no evidence of this, and that de Niro married Diahann Caroll in the year Bookie was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (John Cassavetes, 1976)

I had not seen this film since the early 80s and bought the set which has the original, longer version so I was seeing this for the first time. Cassavetes was making films in the style of Godard before Godard, and doing it better too, lacking the pretentiousness of the latter. His realist style of film-making, hand-held cameras, long takes, appearance of improvised dialogue, no conventional narrative meant his films were never going to appeal to the majority of film goers, but with some exceptions his films are innovative and I suspect too many American directors don't have the courage Cassavetes had. In this film, which actually has a story -night-club owner has to pay off a gambling debt to the mob by killing a Chinese bookie- all the usual Cassavetes tactics are there but a lot of the film was actually rehearsed and written down. It is actually in a way an amateurish even tacky attempt at melodrama, only the story line itself is just a maguffin for Cassavetes to comment on his own relationship to film: the films he gambles on paid for by appearing in other people's films (Rosemary's Baby, for example) who then arrange to have him bumped off -ie, ignored. A cynical attitude maybe, but it is ironic that he originally developed the idea for the film with Martin Scorsese who was significantly more successful and richer from the films he made.
    One oddity in the commentary by producer Al Ruban (who also acts the character Marty at the start of the film) is that Ruban claims the black actress in the film (Azizi Johari -a professional actor as the other girls in the film were strippers in LA night-clubs), was married to Robert de Niro at the time, whereas I see no evidence of this, and that de Niro married Diahann Caroll in the year Bookie was released.
    this is my favorite Cassavetes. I just love the whole thing.