Page 405 of 458 FirstFirst ... 305355395400401402403404405406407408409410415455 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 4576
    Senior Member Silver Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by josehip View Post
    those are pretty much A++ classics. I was think more like B or even C-noirs.
    I am a bit timid about listing some odd film that I really like, because people might actually go rent the thing and odds are they'll agree with the majority of people that it's a stinker. When I post music, I know at best people are just going to sample a taste. If every critic says that a movie is a B or C, I usually agree.
    But yeah, when you find a little jewel nobody else knows about, that makes it special.
    There's a movie called "The Thirteenth Floor" about a Mega-Computer Project that transports passengers back to a virtual 1937 Los Angeles in a super-real video game, of course, it doesn't turn out well. The black and white film medium was perfect for noir.

World Class Asshole

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Darkest Hour (Joe Wright, 2017)

About half-way through this film I asked myself, what is this film about and who is it made for? We know Churchill was the greatest man of the day, he told us so himself, and there is no shortage of book after book after book that repeats his self-invented greatness. It is true that he became aware the of the threat posed by Hitler in the early 1930s as did Clement Attlee and both had accepted by the time of the Anschluss in 1938 that war was inevitable, and it is true that he made some remarkable speeches during the war.
    It is also the case that Attlee supported Churchill as a replacement for Chamberlain, but did not give the speech in the Commons that opens the film, in fact Chamberlain's nemesis was on his own side, the MP Leo Amery who is remembered for the invocation to the Prime Minister at the height of the crisis in Norway (a campaign supported by Churchill) 'In the name of God, go!
    Again, because Attlee had a superior war record in France Churchill was always respectful to him, which is why the remark Churchill makes of Attlee 'a sheep in sheep's clothing' has never been verified and is probably not Churchill's.

The problem with the film is that is takes place at a time when Brexit Britain is about to embark on a journey without a map and without knowing its destination. The leader who created this mess, David Cameron, has been replaced by a dull, uninspiring woman who almost lost the election she was supposed to win with a landslide.

This may not be the UK's 'darkest hour', but the film presents itself as a hymn to some mythical spirit of the plucky Brits succeeding when all is against them, and as such can be dismissed as Brexit propaganda.

The acting in the film is average, the script is decent with one brilliant line at the end from Halifax, most of the film is shot in semi-darkness, some scenes, such as that on the Underground are made up. I think it is worth 3/10 for effort. And I only saw it in the cinema because on a Monday they charge £3.99 a ticket and as the cinema was half-empty I sat in the VIP seat at the back in the middle.

For those interested in what the film gets right and wrong, there is an informative overview here-
    http://www.slate.com/culture/2018/01...ag-awards.html

Senior Member Veteran Poster

john wick 2 - pretty much the same as 1, but that was why i was watching it. sets up 3.

now you see me 2. just because it was there. the set pieces are elaborate and nonsense. whole film is nonsense - but to a level that makes you go whaaaat?

The Last Jedi. I loved it !

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Mother! (Darren Arronofsky, 2017)

More a case of Oh Dear! rather than Auteur! But let's face it, if you want pretentious rubbish, Aronofsky is the main man. A waste of Jennifer Lawrence. Even if I were to explain the movie, it would not be worth watching. Hard to believe they spent three months in a warehouse in Brooklyn working on the 'script' if that is what it is called. Maybe they spent three months trying to work out what Aronofsky wanted to say and reached an agreement to go with what they had even though nobody knew what it was. There is a claim by some that this is a 'horror' movie but the only horrifying thing is the money it cost to make.
    The homeless deserve more.

Acts of vengeance - Antonio banderas does a philosophical version of death wish, which is neither as bad or as good as that sounds.

so, just for the funsies I will post the movies I watched over the year and the rattings here. Feel free to talk shit, learn about new films that maybe you never knew about, or just call my an asshole because I hated your favorite movie, or loved a movie you hate.

(oh, and a top 5 of favorite movies seen for the first time each month in BOLD)

JANUARY

1 All Quiet on the Western Front 1930 Directed by Lewis Milestone 5/5
    2 Call Northside 777 1948 Directed by Henry Hathaway 4/5
    3 Wonderstruck 2017 Directed by Todd Haynes 5/5
    4 Topper 1937 Directed by Norman Z. McLeod 4/5
    5 Notting Hill 1999 Directed by Roger Michell 5/5
    6 Oz: The Great and Powerful 2013 Directed by Sam Raimi 4/5
    7 Take This Waltz 2011 Directed by Sarah Polley 5/5
    8 Terror by Night 1946 Directed by Roy William Neill 3/5
    9 Merrily We Go to Hell 1932 Directed by Dorothy Arzner 3/5
    10 Dick 1999 Directed by Andrew Fleming 3/5
    11 Christine 2016 Directed by Antonio Campos 5/5
    12 Evil Under the Sun 1982 Directed by Guy Hamilton 3/5
    13 Victor/Victoria 1982 Directed by Blake Edwards 4/5
    14 Thor: Ragnarok 2017 Directed by Taika Waititi 4/5
    15 That One Day 2016 Directed by Crystal Moselle 5/5
    16 What We Do in the Shadows 2014 Directed by Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi 2/5
    17 The Asphalt Jungle 1950 Directed by John Huston 3/5
    18 The Limey 1999 Directed by Steven Soderbergh 3/5
    19 Frontier Marshal 1939 Directed by Allan Dwan 3/5
    20 The Girlfriend Experience 2009 Directed by Steven Soderbergh 3/5
    21 The Florida Project 2017 Directed by Sean Baker 2/5
    22 Hour of the Gun 1967 Directed by John Sturges 3/5

FEBRUARY
    23 Lady in the Water 2006 Directed by M. Night Shyamalan 4/5

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Blade Runner 2049, it was ok.

@-}--- Professional Poster

Taken 3 is 2014 english language French action thriller film directed by Olivier Megaton and written by Luc Besson and Robert

Last edited by smalltownguy; 02-03-2018 at 07:13 AM.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.