Page 368 of 458 FirstFirst ... 268318358363364365366367368369370371372373378418 ... LastLast
Results 3,671 to 3,680 of 4576
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    He was at one time strongly considered for both Spiderman and Batman. The one easy-buck movie he did star in, Prince of Persia, bombed terribly.
    I don't see him as an action hero, and I am not surprised about Prince of Persia, it was dire.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    (David FIncher, 2011)
    This was broadcast on tv last night. I was aware of the reputation of the book, did not previously know that there are two film versions, one Swedish, this one sort-of American. I am not a fan of most of Fincher's films, and this is just as bad as his others (eg, Fight Club). There is a story, and not an interesting one, and a sub-plot, even less interesting. As is often the case in murder mysteries, the truth is facing the investigators but they can't see it. Add in all the usual tropes about religion and mass murder (Christianity masquerading as Islam?), the rich and the powerful, and yawn. I shall be polite and make no comment on the 'acting'. Let's just say that when it comes to Sweden, there was Ingmar Bergman, and Ingrid Bergman, and leave it at that.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Continuum (Richie Mehta, 2013)
    For some reason this film is known in Canada and the USA as I'll Follow You Down, which is probably a good way to kill a movie before its been released. The film concerns a physicist who works out the theoretical possibility of travelling through time via a wormhole, builds a time machine on the basis of the theory, and travels back from the year 2000 to Princeton in 1946 in order to tell Albert Einstein that he has worked out the theoretical possibility of travelling through time via a wormhole and has built a time machine and.... Unfortunately, an unforeseen event -in addition to the fact that Einstein is not at home when called upon and the brilliant time-travelling professor doesn't go to his office on campus- means that he cannot return to the year 2000. Disconsolate, his wife commits suicide, but twelve years later, his son, who is, yes you guessed it, a genius physicist, inherits his father's papers from grandad (also a brilliant physicist or mathematician, as if that mattered) and works out the theoretical possibility of travelling through time via a wormhole, builds the machinery that can do it, and travels travel back to Princeton in 1946 and tell his father to Go Home Now, dad! Then something happens which is a spoiler so I won't reveal it, but it does rather confirm this as one the least satisfactory time-travel films I have seen, although Looper was on television last night and I gave up after half an hour because it is incomprehensible or just plain stupid.

To say the film has plot holes more improbable than worm holes may be a fact of physics and/or cosmology. For example, Professor Dad who seems to have no students, no lectures and other than his father-in-law no colleagues, has a large basement room in Princeton in which he can build a time machine without anyone on campus knowing, neither cleaners nor security staff. His family live in Toronto -and why not? Everyone in this film is brilliant, and nice, because everyone is nice in Canada. But why anyone would want to travel as far away as possible from Gillian Anderson I don't know. Another dvd for the charity shop.

Gold Poster

The Foxcatcher

This film outlines the relationship between the eccentric billionaire John Dupont and the celebrated American wrestlers Mark and Dave Schultz. While it is an interesting real life drama, it does not make for a very good film. If you know how this story ends because you've read about the real life characters, the movie only provides very slow, occasionally tense build-up to that ending. Steve Carrell's strong performance as John Dupont does not justify sitting through two hours, where the only thing that really happens you can read about in the newspaper articles from that time.

On the weekend: Batman Begins... which is quite good:

Senior Member Professional Poster

Louis CK Hilarious

A Most Wanted Man (Gunther Bachmann, 2014)
    A spy caper taken from a book by John Le Carre and set in Hamburg. A competent film that doesn't flag, but which doesn't really catch fire either. That the main focus of the film spends most of his time muttering or flying paper aeroplanes into plastic partition does not give depth to this tepid movie. In fact, towards the end of it I realised I could not remember the name of it, and doubt I shall remember much about it in the weeks and months to come.

Senior Member Professional Poster Absarokah's Avatar

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exodus-Gods-and-Kings.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	813307  

LIVE YOUR DREAMS, FULFILL YOUR FANTASIES

Senior Member Junior Poster Yasmin Lee Fan's Avatar

I just saw Furious 7 . This is just about the most ridiculous movie I have ever seen. In the beginning Dwayne Johnson ( The Rock ) falls out of a 6 story window and lands on top of a car with the woman he's holding falling on top of him andhe survives, with just a broken arm. This scene was realistic compared to the rest of this movie. I've seen Looney Toons that made more sense than this film. I didn't expect much, but I am a big fan of Michelle Rodriques and I also heard that Thai martial arts star Tony Jaa was in it. Jaa's scenes were not up to par with his work in On Bak, etc. Vin Diesel has to be the worst actor in the world. Oh well, it'll make a ton of money and I guess I'm getting old, but I just don't get it. Sad about Paul Walker though. At least he doesn't have to be in crap like this anymore.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

on DVD, Django unchained, for the 10th time. don't mind, i love it.

Just watched Fury. It was ok.