Page 326 of 458 FirstFirst ... 226276316321322323324325326327328329330331336376426 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 4579

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Cowboys and Aliens, on cable. Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde. Pretty entertaining but, never iconic!!

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

"Side Effects" a film released about a year ago and, according to its director, Steven Soderbergh, his cinematic swansong. (Though he did sneak out the HBO screened "Behind The Candelabra" about Liberace just after its release.). A highly improbably plotline, neo-Hitchcockian in its approach about ... well I am not entirely sure what it was about. It swivels mid-plot in such an improbable manner that the denouement is ludicrous.
    At 51 It is hard to believe Soderbergh is done with cinema but when he returns he'd better improve upon this.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Professional Poster

KILL YOUR DARLINGS - lots of good acting all around but they never made the story that interesting. The guy who they cast as Jack Kerouac was possibly the worst and thoroughly inappropriate personification of him I have ever seen. More Kramden than Kerouac. Only worth seeing if you have a passionate interest in the subject.

Member Rookie Poster

The Wolf Of Wall Street, Damn that Leo can act. Love the scene where he thought he got his Lamborghini home without a scratch, then later sees what really happened the night before, and the car is trashed. Great movie, and exactly the way it was in the 80's

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014).
    This superbly photographed film resembles one of the pastries baked in Mendls by the love interest in the film: extravagant, ornate, unctuous and liable to disappear. Other than that, the film is as empty of meaning and purpose as the fiction of Stefan Zweig on which it is based, like Wes Anderson, another stylist with nothing to say. I might be wrong, but I think Edward Norton gives almost exactly the same performance in this film as he did in the previous offering by Anderson, Moonrise Kingdom. Nevertheless, an enjoyable if wasted hour or so.

I watched the Hobbit, late last night. It was not that good.

Wow! Look at my cat avatar!

The Great Budapest Hotel Yes, it had no message or meaning, but it was
    terrific fun. This is a truly delightful concoction, less sweet than Moonrise Kingdom but with a wonderful cast and a phantasmagorical swirl of invention. A wonderful sense of style and terrific casting. It grabs and holds your attention and, frankly, who cares if it isn't deep or full of meaning. I loved it.

Last edited by Prospero; 03-08-2014 at 11:56 AM.

I'll be seeing TGBH on Sunday and your reviews so far don't discourage me in the slightest; at one level Anderson's films have always been imaginative confections where style matters every bit as much as substance.

Now, has anyone seen, or is anyone planning to see, Jonathan Glazer's latest, Under The Skin, in which Scarlett Johansson in a bad wig plays a shapeshifting alien who eats men in Glasgow? Reviews tend to be at extreme ends of the spectrum.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

I love ms johansson ... Her voice featured in "Her" as the operating system's female persona was wonderfully sexy ... The little crack to it so lovely... But as a shape shifting vampire....Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    I love ms johansson ... Her voice featured in "Her" as the operating system's female persona was wonderfully sexy ... The little crack to it so lovely... But as a shape shifting vampire....Probably not.
    Local curiosity will probably entice me - both for the locations and just to see if I recognise anyone. Apparently Scarlett drove a van around Glasgow which was full of hidden cameras, supposedly seeking out possible "prey". When they decided to use the footage they got the person to sign an immediate waiver so that it could be included. Certainly a novel approach to film-making.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed