Page 324 of 458 FirstFirst ... 224274314319320321322323324325326327328329334374424 ... LastLast
Results 3,231 to 3,240 of 4576
    Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

I've never had the courage of watch Hunger.. but having now seen both of McQueen's subsequent films (Found Shame deeply tedious, but loved 12 years a slave) I will muster the necessary to watch it. Plus discovered that the cameraman on all is a very close friend of a friend.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Strongly recommend you see it -the camera work and the lighting are integral to the whole vision, as they are in McQueen's other films -this is clearly where his background in art school plays a role. According to the extras on the dvd (the interview with Laura Hastings-Smith) they had to re-do one of the takes of the conversation because the gaffer couldn't hold up the mike for that length of time, his arms got tired. The scene is backlit to give the two characters the appearance of shadows. There is violence in the film, but you have seen worse in other films, and also where it is gratuitous whereas here it helps define the dynamic tension between prisoners and prison officers.

Gold Poster

The Long Goodbye, directed by Robert Altman, starring Elliott Gould. I have not read the source material, a book by Raymond Chandler. But if I had to guess, I would guess that this movie was let down by a deficient screenplay. The one Chandler book I've read had a very intricate, even labyrinthine plot. Here, where the plot wasn't easy to follow it was only because the character development was very thin.

A good performance by Sterling Hayden as a writer with a serious drinking problem. Elliott Gould was merely okay. He was trying to come across as a sort of sarcastic loner. Mission accomplished, but he seemed to mumble to himself a lot, and I don't think it's really a valid interpretation of Marlowe, who was probably a bit more self-possessed. Maybe I'm just used to Bogart's Marlowe from the Big Sleep, but that seemed a lot more plausible to me.

"The Young Ones" a pop musical made at the dawn of the 1960s - pre-Beatles - starring Ciff Richard. Deplorably bad. I thought it might offer some sort of insight into pop culture. it didn't.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

The Road To Perdition.
    Kinda strange seeing Tom Hanks as a 'bad guy'.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    The Long Goodbye, directed by Robert Altman, starring Elliott Gould. I have not read the source material, a book by Raymond Chandler. But if I had to guess, I would guess that this movie was let down by a deficient screenplay. The one Chandler book I've read had a very intricate, even labyrinthine plot. Here, where the plot wasn't easy to follow it was only because the character development was very thin.

A good performance by Sterling Hayden as a writer with a serious drinking problem. Elliott Gould was merely okay. He was trying to come across as a sort of sarcastic loner. Mission accomplished, but he seemed to mumble to himself a lot, and I don't think it's really a valid interpretation of Marlowe, who was probably a bit more self-possessed. Maybe I'm just used to Bogart's Marlowe from the Big Sleep, but that seemed a lot more plausible to me.
    Broncofan, no need to be so coy, just say it loud: Elliot Gould cannot act.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    "The Young Ones" a pop musical made at the dawn of the 1960s - pre-Beatles - starring Ciff Richard. Deplorably bad. I thought it might offer some sort of insight into pop culture. it didn't.
    In which case you might have a look at (if you don't already know it) Expresso Bongo (Val Guest, 1959) in which Cliff Richard plays a young lad called Bert Rudge who is transformed into a Bongo-playing superstar called Bongo Herbert (!). It has the taste of a day-old cappucino, and plays to the Faustian idea of fame and wealth coming at the expense of happiness and moral integrity but it does have a remarkable cast, and if memory serves Cliff Richard actually does quite well in the role. My memory reminds me that it was unusual for a pop singer with a teen fan-base at the time to make an X-rated movie, which in itself tells you something about those times.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Broncofan, no need to be so coy, just say it loud: Elliot Gould cannot act.
    I think so. I may have seen him before, but I don't remember, so this is the first performance of his I recall. Ruined the movie for me.

I think I shall wait awhile before seeing "Expresso Bongo" as "The Young Ones" was just so dreadful. I have never before seen any movie with Cliff. Never liked many of his hundreds and hundreds of records either. (Though "Goodbye Sam, hello Samantha") sounds as if it has a theme appropriate to this forum.

Member Rookie Poster Always_aUnicorn's Avatar

Last night some girlfriends rented wolverine. Personally I just wasn't amused or even interested. Though I was busy snuggled up with amber Taylor the lead trans singer for the sexual side effects. So the movie may have been good but her lips where better.