Page 320 of 458 FirstFirst ... 220270310315316317318319320321322323324325330370420 ... LastLast
Results 3,191 to 3,200 of 4576

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Trainspotting

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Dallas Buyers Club (Jean-Marc Vallee, 2013)
    This fascinating and often moving film concerns that moment in the mid-1980s when the HIV/AIDS 'panic' was at its height, and it recounts the story of the 'Buyers clubs' which sprang up to offer people diagnosed with HIV/AIDS drugs not approved by the FDA which they believed would either help them cope with the disease or even beat it. Indeed, one of the most accurate aspects of this film is the obsessive interest which 'Aids' patients acquired in the science of their own illness, which meant they often become auto-didactic experts in pharmacology -Ron Woodroof is the main protagonist against the FDA in this film, and it has to be said Matthew McConaughey gives an outstanding performance, as does Jared Leto as the 'transexual' (surely more of a transvestite?) fellow sufferer whom he first meets in hospital.

The truth, however, is not quite the same as made out in the film. In the film, Woodroof is a foul-mouthed, babe-hunting, rodeo-drivin', hard-drinking homophobe, where in reality, Woodroof was married, never did rodeos, but did bad-mouth homos and was a hard drinker and a 'womaniser' -or was he? His wife believed he was bi-sexual and there is one brief moment in the film, when Woodroof is exploring the causes of AIDS where there is a rapid intercut into a scene of two men having sex which appears to be Ron having a flashback to an experience of his own.
    Rayon, the 'transexual' is a composite of various Dallas transexuals who got involved in Woodroof's buyers club, but it does raise the intriguing possibility that Woodroof was not having sex with gay men when batting away from home, but with transexuals. I cannot prove this any way, but I do think this is a fascinating film on what is, after all, a rather odd topic for a film.
    I have provided a link to the article on the 'facts' behind Woodroof's life, which has this photo of the real Ron Woodroof:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...ght-truth.html

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Dallas Buyers Club (Jean-Marc Vallee, 2013)
    This fascinating and often moving film concerns that moment in the mid-1980s when the HIV/AIDS 'panic' was at its height, and it recounts the story of the 'Buyers clubs' which sprang up to offer people diagnosed with HIV/AIDS drugs not approved by the FDA which they believed would either help them cope with the disease or even beat it. Indeed, one of the most accurate aspects of this film is the obsessive interest which 'Aids' patients acquired in the science of their own illness, which meant they often become auto-didactic experts in pharmacology -Ron Woodroof is the main protagonist against the FDA in this film, and it has to be said Matthew McConaughey gives an outstanding performance, as does Jared Leto as the 'transexual' (surely more of a transvestite?) fellow sufferer whom he first meets in hospital.

The truth, however, is not quite the same as made out in the film. In the film, Woodroof is a foul-mouthed, babe-hunting, rodeo-drivin', hard-drinking homophobe, where in reality, Woodroof was married, never did rodeos, but did bad-mouth homos and was a hard drinker and a 'womaniser' -or was he? His wife believed he was bi-sexual and there is one brief moment in the film, when Woodroof is exploring the causes of AIDS where there is a rapid intercut into a scene of two men having sex which appears to be Ron having a flashback to an experience of his own.
    Rayon, the 'transexual' is a composite of various Dallas transexuals who got involved in Woodroof's buyers club, but it does raise the intriguing possibility that Woodroof was not having sex with gay men when batting away from home, but with transexuals. I cannot prove this any way, but I do think this is a fascinating film on what is, after all, a rather odd topic for a film.
    I have provided a link to the article on the 'facts' behind Woodroof's life, which has this photo of the real Ron Woodroof:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...ght-truth.html

Thanks Stavros. I was thinking about going to see this film tomorrow, now I definitely will. The story of McConnaughey's dedication to getting the film made and then agreeing with the director to make it in 25 days on what is for Hollywood a shoestring budget is inspiring in its own way too - he clearly believed in the possibilities of bringing Woodroof's story to the screen.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Veteran Poster

VAMPIRE ACADEMY ..... as much as i love,love vampire flicks, -this was a
    horrible movie !!!
    i thought it would at least be on a mode with Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009) but this one was the pits ..far much deeper and not even
    close to being enjoyable. Goofy, not funny, a yawner, and just not that appealing, not even the action scenes in the final moments. it's set up for
    a sequel, but i won't be around for the next episode.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Thanks Stavros. I was thinking about going to see this film tomorrow, now I definitely will. The story of McConnaughey's dedication to getting the film made and then agreeing with the director to make it in 25 days on what is for Hollywood a shoestring budget is inspiring in its own way too - he clearly believed in the possibilities of bringing Woodroof's story to the screen.
    And I think I should have been more emphatic about Jared Leto's performance which is exquisite, and sometimes exquisitely painful. Paris Lees has complained they didn't use a 'real' transexual actress, but don't think it matters. Leto, a versatile actor in so many different films, delivered, and that does.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Dallas Buyers Club. Stavros has given a pretty good summation of this excellent film and its background. Superb performances from the central trio of actors - Matthew McConnaughey, Jared leto and jennifer Garner. Powerful, fascinating and moving.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Blue Jasmine, but don't tell Mia and her bitter children.

Junior Poster

American Hustle BADASS!!!

Live life, and enjoy it.

Professional Poster

I would very much like to see a documentary called Tim's Vermeer but I can't find it anywhere. I understand it's about an internet billionaire who became obsessed with how Vermeer created such photo realistic works of art and how he spent years meticulously re-constructing everything from the now banned in the US pigments to the rugs in each painting and building some sort of box that allowed Vermeer to make his art. It's produced by magicians Penn & Teller so there is always the risk of it all being a con, but the trailer looks interesting.

Veteran Poster

i'm not normally the biggest Matthew McConaughey fan. and up until Mud and Dallas Buyers Club i wasn't that eager to see him.
    But i was so very impressed with his awesome performance in Dallas Buyers Club.
    not only just the incredible weight loss (haven't seen something like that since Christian Bale's the Machineist) to fit the Ron Woodroof skeleton thin look,but the acting performance was just amazing.
    Ditto for Jared Leto performance as a AIDs stricken transvestite.
    Maybe Mac will get serious competition from 12 years a Slave's Chiwetel Ejiofor as rumored, but for my money the best actor Oscar should go to Matthew McConaughey.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.