Page 314 of 458 FirstFirst ... 214264304309310311312313314315316317318319324364414 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 4578
    Senior Member Junior Poster Wanderer1's Avatar

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

I am trying to watch "A Good Old Fashioned Orgy" its losing my interest(dialogue and lack of even partial nudity) and I cannot, for the life of me, believe how this is rated R!!

there is nothing like a sweaty, hairy shemale!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

MUD (Jeff Nichols 2012)
    This is the third feature film from Nichols who writes his own screenplays. It is a sensitive rights of passage story about a 14 year old who comes to terms with the harsh reality of life in rural Arkansas. Well written with great performances throughout -the 14 year old, Tye Sheridan also auditioned for Malick's The Tree of Life. Matthew McConaughey seems to be a rising star, and for good reason. The one flaw is the ending, which I would have preferred to be more ambiguous or, shall we say, 'muddy'? 8/10.

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    MUD (Jeff Nichols 2012)
    This is the third feature film from Nichols who writes his own screenplays. It is a sensitive rights of passage story about a 14 year old who comes to terms with the harsh reality of life in rural Arkansas. Well written with great performances throughout -the 14 year old, Tye Sheridan also auditioned for Malick's The Tree of Life. Matthew McConaughey seems to be a rising star, and for good reason. The one flaw is the ending, which I would have preferred to be more ambiguous or, shall we say, 'muddy'? 8/10.
    I think you're just falling for the whole rural redneck sob story angle that seems to be getting more prevalent in American film these past few years especially after the success of Winter's Bone - a much better movie and one that's more in touch with reality. Mud was dull, predictable, and cliched but maybe that's just because I'm no longer enamored with the great southern American mystique.

samba mania 25

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    FanaticWear

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Have watched a few Korean made films over the past few months and recommend the following:

Memories of Murder - Korean murder mystery centred in a small town. Secondary story revolves around the investigating cops and their differing approaches to solving the serial murders. At times funny, at times tragic and sometimes both at once. Salinui chueok (2003) - IMDb

The Brotherhood of War - Korean war movie about two brothers who are forced to fight during the Korean War. Excellent overall production with astonishingly graphic violence. Battle scenes sometimes surpass those in Saving Private Ryan. Script is good and acting at times superb. Might seem a little overwrought for Western audiences but, I think, accurately portrays Korean cultural norms. Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo (2004) - IMDb

Veteran Poster

I, FRANKENSTEIN

Lot of action in it, involves the style is similar to Van Helsing but it's not
    nowhere as appealing and intriguing as Helsing. It involves demons and gargoyles but i wasn't that impressed with the demons.

And of course didn't have the star power and quality as what Jackman
    and Beckingsale brought to their films.

in the end i thought the plot was weak and disinteresting and i
    just wasn't as impressed with the featured hero, who had tenacity,
    fighting skills, above average, but it just didn't stick as a " WOW " factor
    movie.
    It was ok-decent but nothing to brag about. i think i'm hard to please
    but seems more like a DVD flick than a theater must see.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    I think you're just falling for the whole rural redneck sob story angle that seems to be getting more prevalent in American film these past few years especially after the success of Winter's Bone - a much better movie and one that's more in touch with reality. Mud was dull, predictable, and cliched but maybe that's just because I'm no longer enamored with the great southern American mystique.
    Oddly enough I bought Winter's Bone (because of Jennifer Lawrence) when I bought MUD so it will be interesting to compare them. Yes, there are cliches in MUD, and I can understand you being tired of the 'rural America' genre in a way that some are tired of seeing good cop/bad cop, lonesome hero against the world, and films about the mob, but I do think a) MUD was well written, b) the acting was first class, and c) I did enjoy watching it. Also not sure about the 'redneck' angle becoming more prevalent, John Boorman made Deliverance in the 1970s and that is still a powerful film.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

"Out Of The Furnace" has a similar "redneck" setting - though it actually located in upstate New jersey and built around a realife community.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_mcgrath

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

Just saw The Butler and Captain Phillips. Both were incredible pictures. Couldn't help but shed a few tears during The Butler. Incredible acting, very moving, well done.

Dunkie

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    Have watched a few Korean made films over the past few months and recommend the following:

Memories of Murder - Korean murder mystery centred in a small town. Secondary story revolves around the investigating cops and their differing approaches to solving the serial murders. At times funny, at times tragic and sometimes both at once.

The Brotherhood of War - Korean war movie about two brothers who are forced to fight during the Korean War. Excellent overall production with astonishingly graphic violence. Battle scenes sometimes surpass those in Saving Private Ryan. Script is good and acting at times superb. Might seem a little overwrought for Western audiences but, I think, accurately portrays Korean cultural norms.
    Did not see the first, but was impressed with Brotherhood.