Page 338 of 458 FirstFirst ... 238288328333334335336337338339340341342343348388438 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 4578

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Through a Glass Darkly - Ingmar Bergman - It was a good film. Persona remains my favorite

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    In advance of the UK premiere of an American version of Godzilla, the Telegraph has published a fascinating article on the history of the Japanese original which underlines how the experience of nuclear war is embedded in the film, and follows through the changes to society and attitudes with the sequels that followed. It is very long article but worth reading for those interested in this film and goes some way to forcing a re-evaluation of what was clearly not 'just' a 'monster' film when it was made (and then re-cut for the American market...)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...s-no-joke.html
    Yes ,good article on Gojira lore.
    Looking forward to the new one too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gojira_poster_big-godzilla-facts-that-you-probably-didnt-know.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	719835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gojira 7.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	719836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	godzilla-trailer-shows-first-good-look-at-the-monster.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	719837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	godzilla 1297560794722_ORIGINAL.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	719838  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	godzilla-ew.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	719839  

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

I caught up with "Mud" , a film much praised by a buddy of mine in the industry. Frankly I found it rather sophorific. The film stars Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan, Sam Shepard, and Reese Witherspoon.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    ***WARNING***

Grace of Monaco, the new biopic starring Nicole Kidman, is reviewed in Thursday's Guardian as "a film so awe-inspiringly wooden that it is basically a fire risk."

Here's the rest of his review to enjoy. It's a tour de force.
    The reviews are better than the film, and there was a French person, I think, on BBC Radio taking the history to pieces too.

Quote Originally Posted by maaarc View Post
    Through a Glass Darkly - Ingmar Bergman - It was a good film. Persona remains my favorite
    As I am sure you know, Through a Glass Darkly (1961) is one of a trilogy of films on faith and sexuality which continue with Winter Light (1963) and The Silence (1963). Although I agree with you on Persona I could not live without the trilogy, as they are among Bergman's most intense films and were made when Bergman was at his most fluent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    In advance of the UK premiere of an American version of Godzilla, the Telegraph has published a fascinating article on the history of the Japanese original which underlines how the experience of nuclear war is embedded in the film, and follows through the changes to society and attitudes with the sequels that followed. It is very long article but worth reading for those interested in this film and goes some way to forcing a re-evaluation of what was clearly not 'just' a 'monster' film when it was made (and then re-cut for the American market...)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...s-no-joke.html
    The first Hollywood remake ignored the history and doubtless the second one will too. More bangs, screams and cgi.

How exactly does more money fuck up a better original every time?

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

The generation going to see the new versions doesn't usually know the originals. I think the technical argument is that CGI can do things which were impossible before, but I also think this does tend to replace the 'message' of the original with a technical display minus content. I doubt many people were aware there was a social message in the original Godzilla, I did not before reading the article. Shelley's Frankenstein is firmly part of the 19th century's romantic anti-capitalism, and Dracula to me has undertones of anti-semitism. I don't know what the film theorists have devised, but I think monster films are sublimations of a threatening other...

Senior Member Professional Poster AshlynCreamher's Avatar

Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do, watch a gonna do you will smith and martin lawerance come for you...

Bad boys 1995 - funny movie!

Rookie Poster

I saw GODZILLA last night and it was pretty good.It was way better than the previous one. I never listen to what the critics say about movies.Everyone has his or her opinion about movies.Its a summer movie about monsters so no deep thinkning is involved just sit back and watch.On another note I would like to see the uneditied version .

fortune favors the bold

Quote Originally Posted by tsmandy View Post
    I love Pans Labyrinth. I saw it in a beautiful historic theater here in Portland when it was first released.
    Yes I did, some years ago. It's a fantastic movie.