Page 372 of 458 FirstFirst ... 272322362367368369370371372373374375376377382422 ... LastLast
Results 3,711 to 3,720 of 4576
    Newish Veteran Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

has anyone mentioned "Ex Machina" yet?

Interesting, very visually appealing. I can't put my finger on why yet, but the disco scene is amazing.

I saw "Age of Ultron" recently, too. I'm not the fanboy target audience, admittedly, but I thought it was pretty awful- even for a Marvel superhero flick.

The exposition re: why Pepper and the other chick aren't In the film was especially embarrassing.

Tremendous amount of CGI, but they're just phoning it in at this point and relying too much on the films already released.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Just watched the 1978 Donald Sutherland version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the best version of that story out of the 3 or 4 that have been made. I hadn't seen it in a really long time and it holds up surprisingly well. It's suspenseful, has good effects for the time, a very creepy Leonard Nimoy, and the classic ending.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bodysnatchers1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	841985

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    I've been meaning to watch this just haven't gotten around to it. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Philippines over the past 3 years and I can assure you that life here is nasty and brutal. One just has to scratch the surface of sunshine/smiles/simplicity and the nastiness looks you right in the eye. I've never encountered a more corrupt - morally and ethically - nation than what I've found in Phils. For a voyeur like me, this place has no end of interesting and intriguing things to observe.

The film sounds like it's a documentary more than a work of fiction.
    I hope you will give it a try, it is very long and very slow so be aware of that. As someone who knows the PI you will notice the absence of mobile phones and also the church, and I think this is deliberate. The religious devotion of most Filipinos is hinted at in the story of the family whose faith seems to be taken for granted, and who suffer the most from the corruption in the country, but it's not their fault, whereas the man who has rejected law, politics and religion and is free to do what he wants destroys everything he comes into contact with. It is also noticable that the woman tells her children she and her husband thought about working abroad but decided to remain in Ilocos Norte, evidently the wrong decision! If there is a message here, the director seems to be saying nothing works in the Philippines, and there is no hope anything will. Bleak.

Member Rookie Poster SerCocksmith's Avatar

Interstellar! Amazing movie and one of my top 5 greatest of all time, if anyone wants to talk about it send me a message!

Senior Member Platinum Poster hardiron4u's Avatar

Jersey Boys

Name:	Jersey Boys.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	842051

Gold Poster

I saw ex machina. It is a story about a tech entrepreneur who created a robot with all of the mental and emotional attributes of a human. He invites one of his programmers to his very large estate to perform a Turing test. The Turing Test is a way of determining whether a machine has artificial intelligence. If the evaluator thinks he is interacting with a human, the machine passes (the test here is not blinded so it would be a spoiler to reveal what aspect of human behavior the creator is testing). Anyhow, everyone including the machine has an ulterior motive and there are a few good twists and turns. A more current, though probably still unrealistic or very far removed version of what would happen if machines could be designed with human attributes, however defined. I enjoyed it, though some of the computer science talk was a bit obscure for me.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (Alejandro Inarritu, 2014)
    Inarritu makes films that present themselves as deeply meaningful and which either work -as did Babel, for me- or they do not, eg 21 Grams. In this film an actor (Michael Keaton) whose reputation was based on a superhero attempts to prove he is a genuine actor and sinks most of his assets into a Broadway adaptation of a Raymond Carver story. He is vain and deluded, as I assume are most actors some if not all of the time (aren't we all?) and as the previews begin there is a dramatic change of cast as the character played by Edward Norton brings originality and edge into the show. For some reason the Norton character all but disappears in the last third of the film but it doesn't really matter as this shallow nonsense has long passed its point of interest by then. If the virtue of ignorance lies in acting being real rather than contrived, one might argue this film was more contrived than real, suggesting ignorance is indeed bliss, though the reality is that this was a waste of £10. I did not see this in the cinema when it was released, so the dvd will be on its way to the charity shop very soon.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Hercules

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1267297/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Better than I expected!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Member Rookie Poster smoothrobb's Avatar

Mad Max: Fury Road
    This is a 2 hour movie and roughly 1hr and 40mins of it is pure pulse pounding action, excellent cinematography, awesome set pieces
    and no story to speak of what-so-ever but the characters have enough personality to make the action scenes tense.
    There really isn't much to say about this movie honestly, so i'll sum it up with 2 words SAND TORNADO

They don't call me Top Dog for nothin
    SmoothRobb is strongest there is

Member Rookie Poster smoothrobb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Just watched the 1978 Donald Sutherland version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the best version of that story out of the 3 or 4 that have been made. I hadn't seen it in a really long time and it holds up surprisingly well. It's suspenseful, has good effects for the time, a very creepy Leonard Nimoy, and the classic ending.

Name:	bodysnatchers1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	841985
    I watched this movie as a kid and almost shit my pants at this scene. What a great movie

They don't call me Top Dog for nothin
    SmoothRobb is strongest there is