Page 390 of 458 FirstFirst ... 290340380385386387388389390391392393394395400440 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 4579

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Looking forward to the "Mystery Science Theater 3000 " reunion coming June 28th.
    http://www.hennepintheatretrust.org/...nneapolis-2016
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	art mystery_science_theater_3000_98277.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	945902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery-science-theater-3000-back-706621.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	945903

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The American director Michael Cimino has died at the age of 77. He is best known for two films, The Deer Hunter (197-eight) and Heaven's Gate (1980) though some will recall his first feature Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) and films such as Year of the Dragon (1985) and The Sicilian (1987). He has been described as a genius; or as a vain, self-indulgent, egotistical, megalomaniacal and an enfant terrible...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae...he_Deer_Hunter

but I think he sits somewhere between the two as there is a lot of skill and vision in his films, but I am not always sure about the depth. The opening scene in Heaven's Gate is particularly fine, even if it was shot not at Harvard but Mansfield College, Oxford and the 'old oak tree' was a fake. I think The Deer Hunter will survive as one of the best films about the US experience in Vietnam and its consequences, with some terrific acting from De Niro, Streep, Walken and John Savage. It remains controversial, but I think the context of the film in the 1968 'Tet Offensive' and the deceit over the war that followed was still raw in 1978 when it divided audiences, as it still does. In the UK Heaven's Gate was not released and I had to go to Paris to see it as in those days Paris got the latest US films about 6 months before they were show in the UK. I haven't seen it since then but recall it as a stunning visual film with a problematic script, and I might chase down the best version I can find to see it again.

There is an account of the opening scene of Heaven's Gate by an extra here:
    http://www.oxfordtoday.ox.ac.uk/feat...-heavens-gate#

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001047/#director

Gold Poster

I saw the movie The Shallows. It is a decently reviewed movie about a surfer who is attacked by a shark. I'm generally an easy audience but it was a waste of time. Why does a shark spend a full day staking out a hundred pound blonde in a bikini when it has an enormous whale carcass a hundred yards away from the tiny island she's nestled on? Do sharks like blondes? Do sharks dislike blondes?

Senior Member Junior Poster

The Legend of Tarzan

Junior Poster

I watched Independence Day 2 today. I gave it a C. Wait til it comes out on DVD and then go check it out from your local library. Not worth the money to go to the theatre or buy at the store. Hopefully the Star Trek movie coming out on the 22nd of July will be much better!

There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works.
    ~Will Rogers~

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Son of Saul (Lazslo Nemes, 2015)
    This film is based partly around the revolt of the Sonderkommando in Auschwitz-Birkenau in October 1944 but mostly concerns the attempt of one of them (Saul) to give a dead boy a decent burial, claiming it is his son though there is no proof of this. The Sonderkommando were Jews who were forced to do the dirty jobs in the camp and who were usually executed after three months work. The film is distinguished by its claustrophobic camera work that rarely pulls away from the face or head of Saul, obscuring from view the horror around him. The climax of the film takes place on the day of the revolt which leads to both its predicted end but closes the film with an image which might be interpreted as resurrection, hope, release or the only conceivably positive note in this otherwise bleak film. Whether or not it is possible to make a feature film (rather than a documentary) about Auschwitz is not answered by this film but this one may hurt more than the wretched nonsense of Schindler's List or some other 'holocaust' films best not mentioned.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3808342/

Professional Poster

Spotlight. It was excellent!

Senior Member Professional Poster bigkid69's Avatar

Just watched 28 Days Later for the first time. I'm Jonesin' for some Walking Dead.

Just go all 4 seasons of the original 1990's Granada Television /BBC series "Jeeves and Wooster" ... "frightfully entertaining ,wot?"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeeves and wooster 981021dfa0726874d5db2cf56a0ea62e.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	951042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeeves-and-wooster-jeeves-and-wooster-2251429-800-600.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	951043

Senior Member Junior Poster hamdasl's Avatar

To Have and Have Not.