Page 318 of 458 FirstFirst ... 218268308313314315316317318319320321322323328368418 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 4576
    Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

I read recently that despite the evidence you present, Strauss actively verbally attacked several key; Jewish figures. i will dig up the reference and post it here.

as for that ludicrous Russell film.....

Meanwhile in other business (lol) the Taviana brothers wonderful "Caeser Must Die" slipped through my net. I just saw it. A terrific film in which the veteran italian directors focus on and collaborate in a prison dramatisation of Shakespeare's Julius Caeser. Fantastic performances by the prisoners.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Better with the audio outta synch to give an additional Kung-Fu Theater effect really upping the quality of the schlock. Michael Caine...

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    I read recently that despite the evidence you present, Strauss actively verbally attacked several key; Jewish figures. i will dig up the reference and post it here.

as for that ludicrous Russell film.....

Meanwhile in other business (lol) the Taviana brothers wonderful "Caeser Must Die" slipped through my net. I just saw it. A terrific film in which the veteran italian directors focus on and collaborate in a prison dramatisation of Shakespeare's Julius Caeser. Fantastic performances by the prisoners.
    This is an interesting article on Strauss in the Third Reich-
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/06/ar...ted=all&src=pm

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty94 View Post
    Remember Me.

I started watching Water For Elephants, but I fell asleep in the middle.

I'm on a Robert Pattinson binge right now.
    Nice to see you Jen. Hope life's treating you well.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Ferris Beuller's Day Off....classic and hilarious!!

Silent Waters (Sabiha Sumar, 2003)
    This is a film set in the Punjab in 1979 shortly after General Zia ul-Haq's declaration of martial law and the execution of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. It is a moment when Pakistan appeared to turn against the kind of 'Liberal' politics associated with Bhutto and attempted to realise what it thought might have been Djinnah's concept of an Islamic state in which there are, by definition only Muslims. Thus the presence of non-Muslims is both a contradiction and something to be fought against, not least when Zia signed an agreement with India allowing cross-border visits of people on both sides of the Punjabi divide. Two militants arrive in a small town and begin to impose their brand of Islam on a populace either compliant or weakly opposed. The two main characters, a mother and son are caught up in these chain of events, and without giving it away, they find that the legacy of partition in 1947 when local Sikhs literally ran for their lives, comes back to haunt then, becoming a dissonant factor in the face of change. The lead actor is ok, his mother, played by Kirran Kher (who is Indian, not Pakistani) is simply fabulous -dignified, indignant, sorrowful from first to last. Like most films from the Indian sub-continent, the film is content drive, with form of little importance, but this is nevertheless is well-made if ultimately underwhelming film. A tragedy without real punch, if affecting in its own modest way.

The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese 2013)
    This is the second attempt to tell the story of Jordan Belfort, the first being the film Boiler Room (Ben Younger, 2000). I cannot compare the two as I have not seen the Younger film. In essence, Belfort ran a boiler room selling penny shares and moved higher up the food chain until the trades, which were not properly accounted and amounted to a colossal scam, imploded and Belfort ratted on his friends to get a reduced sentence, although in reality he has failed to repay most of the money he was legally obliged to do.
    The film is very long, very loud, has no moral centre or any sense of morality which does give the trading a sense of its own self-importance, and I believe many of the events in the film actually happened -the yacht, which had at one time belonged to Coco Chanel, did go down in a storm off the coast of Sardinia, the hookers, the drugs are all true. I didn't care, and while I know I was not supposed to like any of the mostly disgusting, foul-mouthed apes masquerading as men in the film, none of them had much depth anyway whereas in Scorsese's best films, which also feature unlikeable and often violent people, they at least have complexity and depth. Again, unlike his best work which has narrative complexity to match the characters this is a mostly linear tale that begins and ends without catching fire. I think the problem is we have seen it all before, and Scorsese doesn't have anything new to say. In the end a waste of money. The only bearable thing was some awesome naked females, yet even here I can't believe all the women in the real life story looked like they just stepped off a Playboy or Hustler centrefold. And no, the eye candy doesn't compensate for the weakness of the film.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

redboxed " The Wolverine " last night.

Gotta say i was not impressed and thought it fell flat

Gold Poster

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/op...-out.html?_r=0

Woody Allen wrote a piece that the New York Time published addressing the molestation charges. I'd be lying if I said I had any clue whether he did it or not. But it's worth a read.

I read it, and all I can say is that there is clearly some very bad blood between Woody Allen and Mia Farrow. I am not a huge admirer of either of them, and I am not sure their personal problems ought to be a matter of public debate.