Page 124 of 458 FirstFirst ... 2474114119120121122123124125126127128129134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 4578
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

As I posted a week or so ago, the film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is not worth seeing, being a facile parade of stereotypes in search of an assassination and an incoherent plot. I had vague memories of seeing the original 1979 TV series and bought the set, for £7. Because it runs just under 5 hours it allows the key characters to develop, something the film avoids; because of this it also make more sense, although a weakness in Le Carre's overall story is the feeble excuse the traitor gives for working for Moscow. Alec Guinness and the other actors are light years away from the useless clowns in the recent film, particularly Colin Firth and Gary Oldman; the atmosphere is right, the dialogue is right, and as with Smiley's People, which I also watched, there are scenes which last for minutes on end, something the McDonald's generation can't handle. Highly recommended.

Super - starring Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page, directed by James Gunn. Indie film about a meek diner cook whose wife leaves him for a drug dealer. He has a vision shortly afterwards and is compelled to become a superhero to fight crime and save his wife. Rainn is The Crimson Bolt, and Ellen is the comic shop employee who begs him to become his sidekick. It's funny, and also touching and sad at times. It's also super-violent, which I was not expecting. But that's not a bad thing. It's like a twisted, more violent, low-budget indie Kick Ass. And Ellen Page gets really sexy in her costume.

Last edited by maxpower; 10-14-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Tomboy - new French film. A delicate and touching and funny little film with superb performances coaxed from its young cast by director Céline Sciamma.

I watched Insidious. It sucked balls.

I watched Dogville for the second time, not having seen it for some years. I recall being puzzled by it the first time, whereas I now see the religious symbolism and the argument about love and hate, about morality and justice, punishment and redemption -but the problem with the film is not its transparent set, or even the repetitive playing of Vivaldi although that is bad enough -it is the voice-over narration by John Hurt which overloads a film that tries too hard to make all of its points. Ultimately, I don't even know if this is a film or just a play -the films of Bresson explore similar themes, yet the cruelty people inflict on each other in films like Au Hasard Baltasar, Mouchette, and L'Argent has greater depth than Trier's escapade, more visual flair, and does place Trier in the also-ran of directors, along with Godard, Almodovar and Gus van Sant.

"For what they've done...

... MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY!"

...stir it up and pass it around.

Broken Arrow

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

London Boulevard.
    The violence was ok, the rest dragged a bit.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!