Page 373 of 458 FirstFirst ... 273323363368369370371372373374375376377378383423 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4575
    Junior Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothrobb View Post
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    This is a 2 hour movie and roughly 1hr and 40mins of it is pure pulse pounding action, excellent cinematography, awesome set pieces
    and no story to speak of what-so-ever but the characters have enough personality to make the action scenes tense.
    There really isn't much to say about this movie honestly, so i'll sum it up with 2 words SAND TORNADO
    This was the last movie I saw the other day as well.. And maybe because RT was giving it a 98% even after a week and commercials were billing it as the most amazing thing ever, my hopes were too inflated. The sets were of course goregous, but in the end couldn't make up for the zero plot offered. Even the slightest attempt to explain what, why, or how things got to where we as the viewer are dumped in would have helped immensely! Instead it's basically a two hour car chase that ends only because it has to. Maybe I hurt myself never having seen the '79 original, but my guess is 92% of those who bought tickets haven't either. While still an alright summer popcorn actioner, I left the theater thinking it was more "Meh Max."

Member Rookie Poster smoothrobb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunwithmyCanon View Post
    This was the last movie I saw the other day as well.. And maybe because RT was giving it a 98% even after a week and commercials were billing it as the most amazing thing ever, my hopes were too inflated. The sets were of course goregous, but in the end couldn't make up for the zero plot offered. Even the slightest attempt to explain what, why, or how things got to where we as the viewer are dumped in would have helped immensely! Instead it's basically a two hour car chase that ends only because it has to. Maybe I hurt myself never having seen the '79 original, but my guess is 92% of those who bought tickets haven't either. While still an alright summer popcorn actioner, I left the theater thinking it was more "Meh Max."
    I can't disagree with you there, even though I was entertained by it I can see how the complete lack of story could turn someone off to the movie as a whole. I'll admit the style and tone of this movie had me expecting something with a little more substance but like I said I enjoyed the action and the characters enough that I didn't feel really disappointed.
    and for the record you really don't need to watch the original mad max movies. they're awful in my opinion

They don't call me Top Dog for nothin
    SmoothRobb is strongest there is

Amateur Junior Poster

I'd still like to watch Mad Max: Fury Road, along with the Avengers sequel. The last movie I did watch was Locke (also with Tom Hardy).

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The Boy in Striped Pajamas (Mark Herman, 200-eight)
    I watched this film the other night when it was broadcast on tv.
    I don't know how people feel about 'Holocaust' movies- feature films not documentaries -this film is sensitively filmed and acted, with an obviously shocking conclusion, but I am never comfortable with this genre of film, and wonder about some of its assumptions. I doubt the small Jewish boy Shmuel would have survived within 24 hours of his arrival at the camp or have been able to spend time at the fence chatting to the German boy. Even when such films are based on true stories, such as Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg, 1993) I think there is something wrong about putting a death camp on film, perhaps there are some things that humans do to each other that cannot be turned into fiction, or which lose something when they are. I can appreciate another true story, Roman Polanski's The Pianist (2002) but not Roberto Benigni's Life is Beautiful (1997) possibly because the former does not take place in a camp.

Stavros, have you ever heard of a film that Jerry Lewis attempted to direct in 1972 about a clown in a Nazi concentration camp? It was entitled The Day the Clown Cried, and it was about a clown whose job it was to entertain the prisoner children before they were killed. It was Jerry's dream project and he was starring as the clown. Production had begun and some of the picture had been filmed, but it was never finished, because, obviously, it was just wrong in so many ways. You can find some of the footage on youtube.

Last edited by maxpower; 05-24-2015 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Stavros, have you ever heard of a film that Jerry Lewis attempted to direct in 1972 about a clown in a Nazi concentration camp? It was entitled The Day the Clown Cried, and it was about a clown whose job it was to entertain the prisoner children before they were killed. It was Jerry's dream project and he was starring as the clown. Production had begun and some of the picture had been filmed, but it was never finished, because, obviously, it was just wrong in so many ways. You can find some of the footage on youtube.
    Thanks for this as I had not heard of it -and it sounds awful but not so far from Life is Beautiful?

Savages (Oliver Stone, 2012)
    This aired on tv last night -I am not an admirer of Stone, but even by his low standards this film is dire -hard to know what is worse, the dialogue or the acting.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Ex Machina:
    Well worth the ticket. Often, in ancient Greek drama, a god was lowered onto the stage by a crane hidden behind the set. This device was called the “Deus ex machina.” The appearance of the god served to solved a problem confronting the characters and advance the plot. In the film, Ex Machina, the problem solver is named Caleb. He’s not much of a god (except perhaps by the default of belonging to the race of beings who created artificially intelligent androids). The Ex Machina is the lottery which brings Caleb to our attention in the first place. The problem Caleb is assigned to solve is named Ava. Caleb is to decide whether or not Ava passes the Turing Test.

Beyond this point there be spoilers:
    This viewer is not sure Ava really passes. She certainly is a skillful manipulator. She analyzes micro expressions and discerns the motivations and weaknesses of others. She “knows” when you’re lying or telling the truth by mere calculation of your body language and the modulations in your voice. Real people do these things by empathy not calculation. Unless we’re severely autistic we attempt to feel what others must be feeling. We generally don’t simply reason and deduce what they must be feeling. Even psychopaths imagine they feel what their victims feel, but learn to either suppress or enjoy these proxy emotions. There is ultimately no evidence (imo) that this is the way Ava operates. As far as I can tell she used Caleb, but never felt anything for him. From what I know of her now, Ava neither passes nor fails the Turing test. I need more evidence. She may well be a highly functional, autistic, robot killer loose in the world.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

President of Russia Veteran Poster Vladimir Putin's Avatar

As of last night, the last film I watched in a theater was "San Andreas." I watched it at the Regal Theatre at L.A. Live with the 4DX effects. It was almost like going on a ride in Disneyland or Universal Studios.

Senior Member Professional Poster

Pain and Gain