Page 434 of 458 FirstFirst ... 334384424429430431432433434435436437438439444 ... LastLast
Results 4,331 to 4,340 of 4578

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

terminator.....

"The In-Laws" (the original one from 1979) with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin.
    The greatest movie of all times!!!
    I try to watch it once a week (and it will never bore me)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1979-The In-Laws-poster.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	475.6 KB 
ID:	1257347  

Last edited by morim; 06-22-2020 at 08:07 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Birds of Prey

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Joker (Todd Phillips, 2019)

On the one hand I could try to understand this as a prequel to Batman, the film containing the Wayne family at a critical point for a young Bruce. On the other hand, the story does not offer a link other than of nihilistic violence and social chaos in Gotham City. An attempt to link the Joker's behaviour with childhood trauma is not made effectively, so the Joker just comes across as a frustrated man who takes out his resentment on others, even if they do not deserve it. Joaquin Phoenix gives a strong performance, let down by some predictable scenes toward the end; one hopes he has had a good meal since making the film. de Niro is, well de Niro, some of the photography is superb, but the real star is the score by the Icelandic composer Hildur Guðnadóttir, as heard in the clip below, and also for the drama series Chernobyl ('Evacuation)

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Professional Poster Extraordinaire Professional Poster Cereal Escapist's Avatar

The wife made me watch Hamilton on Disney+ even though she forced me to sit through the play twice when we still lived in NY.

It is no better the 3rd time around.

-----
    ...on the matter of my lust, it appears clothes maketh woman!!!

Queen and Slim (Melina Matsoukas, 2019)

I bought this DVD without knowing anything about the film, as I don't recall it being reviewed last year, though Google informs me it was. The reviews in the Guardian don't do it justice, it is much worse than they claim.
    The film appears to have some relevance to contemporary issues in real life that have been provoked by the lethal use of force in the US by law enforcement officers on Black people, and the incident that sparks the narrative drive of this film seems sadly all too real (according one of the extras on the disc, the incident was filmed in Cleveland, Ohio when it was -15 degrees! and Daniel Kaluuya imrprovised the line about it being cold, and it was!)

The problem is that there is no chemistry between the two leads, one of whom cannot act, who also have to work with a feeble script. I lost interest in them and their plight before the half-way point, by which time it was clear from its cliches how the film would develop and end, from the 'safe houses' en route (with, at least a welcome appearance by Indya Moore), the breakaway visit to the graveyard; the sexual connection badly filmed and embarrassing as these scenes are these days, to the airstrip in Florida (but why Cuba?).

Incredibly, the director claims these two peope were modellled on Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, presumably because Mork and Mindy were white, even if they did have a more believable relationship. This is a first feature film for the director who has made over 60 shorts and music videos; on the basis of this film, her competent directing needs to be firmed up with better scrpts, and a more creative approach to contemporary issues, if that is what she wants to make films about. Cliches should be effective if they are based on real life; to repeat cliches from other movies in this case is just laziness and a lack of imagination. 2/10 for effort.

I am not sure, but before Indya Moore began to appear in numerous feature films and TV dramas (Pose, being the most obvious), the Italian Eva Robins may have notched up more appearances, and not as a transgendered character (which I think Robins was in two films), there being no hint in this film that Moore is playing a transgendered character. I think this is an advance that is worthy of recognition, not in the triumphal sense, but to acknowledge that is possible to get an acting job based on talent rather than 'minority' box-ticking.

Shall We Dance
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shall_...3F_(2004_film)
    If you are in the mood for a little light hearted entertainment right now, this is well done . I found it delightfull . And who knew that Stanley Tucci could dance?!
    That reminds me of the shock I had the first time I saw Christopher Walken dance.

Last edited by sukumvit boy; 07-15-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

star trek beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    S
    That reminds me of the shock I had the first time I saw Christopher Walken dance.
    A delightful shock, and while I can't dance, I can sit in a chair and fall asleep with great composure...

Ad Astra (James Grey, 2019)

It took two attempts for me to endure this film, as I fell asleep the first time around. It is slow, very slow, and because he has suppressed his emotions, the lead character -in fact, the only character in the film- talks quiet and slow, and the one moment he erupts in emotion you cant hear it because he is wailing in his space suit. There is a profound message in the film, if you think the conclusion that there are no aliens and we are alone in the Universe is profound. I like sci-fi films, but this one is tepid, underwhelming, slowy paced and without characters in depth or diversity.