Page 193 of 458 FirstFirst ... 93143183188189190191192193194195196197198203243293 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 4576

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Something from Nothing! The Art Of Rap.

Pretty chill documentary. It's hosted by IceT and it includes interviews with BunB, B-Real, Afrika Bambaataa, Busy Bee, Joe Budden, Grandmaster Caz, Common, Treach, Ice Cube, Chuck D, Royce Da 59, Dana Dane, Mos Def, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Lord Finesse, Doug E. Fresh, Lord Jamar, Salt from Salt 'n' Pepper, Big Daddy Kane, Ras Kass, Kool Keith, KRS-One, MC Lyte, Marley Marl, Darryl McDaniels, Melle Mel, Nas, DJ Premier, Q-Tip, Raekwon, Rakim, Redman, Puerto Rico, Joseph Simmons, Immortal Technique, WC, Kanye West, Chino XL, and Xzibit.

The first half of the documentary covers the origins of hip-hop and interviews with it's founding artists and early artists who redeveloped hip-hop as they pay homage to the originals. The second half of the documentary focuses mainly on rap artists and how gangsta rap emerged from hip-hop to become mainstream.

The only thing I didn't really like about The Art of Rap is how most of the artists seem to really convolute their processes with very, very abstract notions that don't mean much of anything when they're analyzed. Otherwise, a very awesome documentary if you dig classic hip-hop like I do.

The Hunger Games

The Cabin in the Woods

Rookie Poster

Cabin in the Woods
    Total Recall
    The Avengers

Hello!

Senior Member Veteran Poster Lovecox's Avatar

Drive

Senior Member Platinum Poster

“Drive” is an amazingly well shot movie, Lovecox, in my opinion. I loved it. I saw it a second time on a movie network lately, and it was censored; totally spoiled my fun.
    This Nicolas Winding Refn, the director, should be someone to watch in the future, now that he will (or should) get bigger budgets.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

"Ruby Sparks" written by and starring Zoe Kazan, grand daughter of the great Elia Kazan. Its a witty and charmng post-modern Pygmalion . A nurdy writer starts to dream about a girl, then tarts to write a novel about her 9after several years of writer's block) and suddeny the said girl emerges into real lie and they become lovers. It's by the same directing team who made "Little Miss Sunshine about five years ago. Not as funny as that, but nevertheless a pretty good film.

Rookie Poster

'Clue' just popped up on Netflix and I watched that again last night. Laughed all the way through it

"Flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breaths... Heathing..."

Watched David Cronenberg’s “A Dangerous Method”, yesterday, an account of the relation between Freud and Carl Jung and the beginning of the century (20th). Very thin! Really not much substance in this one. I haven’t read the novel it is based on, but I sure hope it’s a little heavier. Freud is presented as a very rational, scientific mind and a model of morality as the leader of the young psychoanalytic movement, as opposed to a rather immoral and quite indecisive Carl Jung, who has an affair with one of his patients. We know very well today that Freud himself had affairs with some of his female patients and that not all of freudism is based either on science or even on clinical observations of conclusive results. It is known indeed that none of Freud’s early patients, whom he presents as examples of his findings in his books, have been psychologically relieved by the therapeutic process (one has even ended his days in a clinic).
    I was also expecting much more of the movie itself. Cronenberg has directed some good and some very entertaining movies over the years, usually with a lot of originality, “The Dead Zone”, “The Fly”, “Dead Ringers”, “Naked Lunch”, “Crash”, etc. “A Dangerous Method” is flat and boring and, as I said, doesn’t even have the merit of being the slightest bit informative. In the same genre, I preferred by far (the Grand Canyon) John Huston’s “Freud”, largely written by Jean-Paul Sartre (who insisted his name be taken off the generics), beautifully directed and shot, and very eloquent on Freud first explorations of subconsciousness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-dangerous-method-poster.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	509947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-dangerous-method-knightley-950x571-580x348.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	509948  

Last edited by danthepoetman; 09-28-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

I agree. Saw that film a year ago and thought it mediocre and unfair to Jung. I tend to be a Jungian.

Hmmm Freud and Jung, the egg and bacon of modern psychology...only of course there were so many others. Freud is actually a misunderstood thinker and vastly superior to Jung, who cannot be taken seriously even as a psychologist, but might be remembered -should anyone bother to remember him- as an amateur anthropologist with some unoriginal and poorly stated ideas about the language and imagery of cultures and what they share, although Levi-Strauss did a better job of exposing the structural similarities that bind human societies together. The idea that this would make a good film doesn't make sense to me, not in cinematic terms; neither would a film about Sartre and Camus, Churchill and Lloyd-George and so on. If Cronenberg was a good enough director, he might actually devise an original story of his own, something which almost never seems to happen in cinema these days. The Freud museum in Vienna is fascinating, incidentally, much more cramped than I expected from the photos