Page 425 of 458 FirstFirst ... 325375415420421422423424425426427428429430435 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,250 of 4576
    Old Biddy Silver Poster Gillian's Avatar

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Alita: Battle Angel in 3D at my local IMAX and it was AMAZING ...

Not only is Alita's animation a technical tour de force but she's an interesting character to boot.

Serious about Transsexual Partner Junior Poster crazyeditor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JanetElise View Post
    I watched this over the weekend for about the 10th
    time. If you havn't seen it I highly recommend it.

Great movie

Serious about Transsexual Partner Junior Poster crazyeditor's Avatar

Body Double
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51AFR63EW1L._SY445_.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	1134227

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    Alita: Battle Angel in 3D at my local IMAX and it was AMAZING ...

Not only is Alita's animation a technical tour de force but she's an interesting character to boot.

i need to watch that

Senior Member Junior Poster

Four Lions

Senior Member Platinum Poster

A Simple Favour (Paul Feig, 2018 )

Anna Kendrick is one of those women with whom you might want to settle down and have children, and a house in, well...Connecticut. It would certainly be more challenging, entertaining and worthwhile than this empty, convoluted tale of crazy women. On the other hand, I might try one of those martinis...

The Hate You Give (George Tillman Jr, 2018 )

This is a frustrating film that contains two intense scenes which will resonate for some time, and scenes that either stretch the boundaries of credulity, or appear too morally righteous and idealistic in their appeal to unity and peace. The two outstanding scenes are the murder around on which the film pivots, and the scene toward the end when the policeman uncle of the witness walks her through the question and answer session that exposes the unjust means whereby a white policeman killing a black man will walk free from the crime. I was not convinced by the white school the girl and her younger brother go to, definitely not her white boyfriend (though in real life Sternberg's father is Danish) just as I felt the way their mother was made up to look like Michelle Obama was unnecessary, not least when some of the older black women in the film were vulgar stereotypes. Indeed, there are too many cardboard black and white people, especially the menacing drug lords inflicting pain and division 'on their own community' -whatever else this is, this ain't The Wire.
    At least there is an impressive performance from Amandla Sternberg, previously the young black girl Rue whose death in The Hunger Games prompts that iconic moment when Jennifer Lawrence turns to the camera knowing everyone can see her, and makes a gesture of defiance that changes the trajectory of that film. It is a pity I can't give this film a better review, but it is too flawed if fascinating to watch -and it's not as if the murder of unarmed black men by law enforcement does not happen in the UK with more or less the same consequences. It does. And we await a film that will tell that story.

Junior Member Rookie Poster

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Genuinely one of the best super hero movies out beautifully animated, great characters and story.

Senior Member Junior Poster

American Sniper.

Leaving Neverland (Dan Reed, 2019)

This two part dcumentary aired on the UK's Channel 4 this week. The film consists of interviews with two men who claim they were seuxally abused by Michael Jackson, with additional comments from their mothers, and in the case of one man, his sister and elder brother. The film has caused controversy because there is no comment from the Jackson family, friends and associates of his or the Jackson Estate. The two men have been accused of being liars, of using the film to make the money they failed to make from the Jackson estate, and that their testimony is copied from the testimony of other abused children to give it authenticity.

The problem with the critics, is that the two men offer graphic and compelling detail of the way in which Jackson first groomed them and their families, gradually deepening the relationship until it became sexual, details that can be found in the cases of child abuse we know from other cases, including priests in the Roman Catholic Church. Though this suggests there is a 'repertoire' of accusations that can be made, drawn from other cases and repeated by two men acting rather than telling the truth, one wonders why two men with wives and children would put themselves through this ordeal. And, while they may make money from this film, the Jackson Estate is also attempting to make money by suing HBO for $100 million.

I first saw Jackson when I think he was 10 and appeared on the Diana Ross Show, I thought he was a freak at the time and never had cause to change my mind in succeeding years, though I don't listen to that sort of music anyway and consider most of it is rubbish. I have also seen other children attempting to be pop stars in the age range of 10-14 and in most cases the voice is very loud, the singers can mimic well but the voice is raw, it has no colour or depth and above all, the children cannot sing properly. Indeed, many pop singers do not sing properly and damage themselves. For example, the singer Adele is just over 30 but has already had two operations to repair the damage she has caused to her vocal chords, while other singers such as Elton John, Justin Timberlake, and Björk have also had the operation. There has been a claim that Michael Jackson was 'surgically castrated' by being given regular and large doses of cyproterone to combat his acne, but a drug that also arrests puberty. This is nonsense, as Michael Jackson had a man's voice, and according to one coach could reach as deep as a bass when singing, if he wanted to.

Jackson's falsetto voice and women's make-up were all part of an act. The claim he never had a childhood is a weird one as it is clear that he did, and spent most of it with his brothers. That he may have been abused as a child could be important, but what cannot be denied is that he had some kind of aversion to women -it is claimed he never had sexual intercourse with his wife, and certainly did not with the mother of his two children. The evidence that Jackson was a serial abuser of boys to me seems impossible to deny, even if over many years 'only' five boys made allegatinos of molestation -should it have been more? Jackson spent most of his professional life with mature adults, but appears to have spent most of his leisure time with young boys.

Does it make any difference to the music? I cannot really say, as his music means nothing to me, and those who like it must make that decision. I have been listening to Wagner's music for more than 40 years even though I am aware of the nauseating things he said about Jews, tempered by the fact his writings are mostly garbage anyway, and he never harmed Jews, recruiting them as musicians in his orchestra at Bayreuth, and employing them as conductors of his music. He was unfaithful to both his wives, and in contemporary terms was probably a fraud having sold the rights to his Ring cycle to more than one person claiming their right was exlusive. Jackson, it seems to me, is a criminal on a different level, because he harmed people, because his interest in children was not natural.

Evidence can be found here:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...se-allegations

Last edited by Stavros; 03-08-2019 at 05:52 PM.